I've had it with this dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
coweatchicken

Postby coweatchicken » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:44 am

Annika wrote:Mowing lawns. Every penny counts.

HA! With what grass?!?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

Daphnesmom wrote:Check with the shelter you adopted from and let us know what they say. At the very least they might get you their discounts at the vet's office

Apply for the UAN Lifeline Grant - after you talk to the shelter so you have a better idea of which vet, etc. - they'll want to know all that and they pay the vet directly. www.uan.org

I do agree that no one will adopt this dog now, and that El Paso is an armpit and very unlikely you'll be able to rehome her to a good home. Sorry, I know that's where you live but I grew up in Ft Worth, I know Texas. So if there is a way to get this dog medical help now, I think it would be a good thing to do. I'm a sucker for people serving our country, even though I am totally against our involvement in Iraq.

Let us know what happens when you get back from the shelter and also the vet's information. If you can get any donations from the great people here, we usually like to donate to the vet's office earmarked for the dog.

Good luck!

yes contact the shelter where you got him ! We help alot of people out thru our rescue. They might help !

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:02 am

I'm sorry but I find this thread disturbing.

Why did you get a dog in the first place if you couldn't care for it's needs? To leave a dog suffering like that to me is inhumane. Whatever reasons there are behind it (lack of funds etc) still leave the dog suffering. If you don't get off your duff and find out some financial help places, then at least do something vs. nothing.

So overall I agree with DR - euthanize your dog and let it have some peace. Step up to the plate and be a responsible dog owner and be kind to your dog and let it go. Learn your lesson and move on. What I totally can't handle is people who leave their dogs suffering because they're incapable emotionally of doing anything about it. That might sound harsh, but imagine how your dog feels?

For all of you that don't agree with that advice I ask "how many people do you know are willing to take a a: Pit Bull and b: a Pit Bull with medical issues..whether allergies/mange/fleas....whatever... ????? Perhaps the posters who suggested it could find a rescue willing to take this dog on?

It's so easy to throw out the "rehome card" but honestly when there aren't enough homes in the first place for healthy pits, rehoming a dog that is scabby, bleeding and itchy isn't really reality. Chances are whatever is tormenting this dog has now turned into secondary infections because of all the scratching etc and that's big coin at the vets office.

Do you honestly think it's best to leave this dog scratching it's skin off? I mean...could you imagine yourself being that itchy all day every day? That's mental and physical torture.

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:03 am

PS: How long ago did you adopt this dog from the shelter?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:23 am

excellent posting Rumpley. Excellent..

coweatschicken, either euthanize the dog or get her help now.. stop making excuses..your title alone "ive had it with this dog" speaks in more volumes then you can imagine.

i have an allergy dog home too, and never once did i forgo her treatment at all even when i had no money, and this is going on 4 years now she was diagnosed.. either chocolate or get off the pot , get her help or euthanize her, and DONT get another animal until you are financially stable..
animals are not disposable, and are for life. if you cant afford an animal, dont get one. you should have brought her right back to the shelter the minute she started having problems to have her diagnosed.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:22 pm

Cow, have you contacted the shelter where you got her? How is she doing today?

Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Wesam » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:23 pm

You guys have to take into consideration that she WAS willing to afford this dog earlier. However I do agree with the rest of you that a solution has to be found ASAP cause this is along the lines of animal cruelty; well it sorta is now. I wouldn't necessarily opt for euthanasia, but definitely rehoming if finances are not readily available. This dog needs vet care NOW!

cowheatchicken,

Can you not borrow money from anyone?

coweatchicken

Postby coweatchicken » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:49 pm

Okay, I talked to the shelter and they weren't really able to help me except to give me a list of vets (I already had that) that are usually "low cost."
I called a friend and asked if he'd be able to pay off some of a loan that he owes me, and I'm expecting a call this evening.
I went to ACS (Army Community Services) and filled out a forum for an emergency relief loan. My husband is trying to get that signed off by his commander (should be done tomorrow) and that'll give us 200 to work with. We had to say that we were going to use it for food and to pay the car insurance (which is already payed for), but hopefully we won't get caught.
I also called her vet and told her about the situation (I had spent about 3 hours in the woman's office and we got to know each other a bit better than clients usually do) and she said that if we got the loan and could bring her in, she'd waive the office visit fee and try to help, but that they couldn't take payments unless I had some sort of collateral.
I also sent off a message to Bustersmomma who offered a box or two of Revolution and she's going to mail it off soon.
I did a few searches and used a few links people have sent me for rescues that may be able to help pay for medical costs, but most of them wanted to know specifics, so once I'm able to bring Lucy in to the vet, I'll have the vet write me a letter of the things that may be wrong, symptoms, testing fees, and whatever else she can think of.

Thank you all so much. I really hope this is going to go right and that I can get her taken care of pronto. I also suggested euthanasia to my husband and explained to him why, but he's adamant about trying everything that's been suggested first and I agree. When I think of putting her to sleep without trying, I picture her sitting in the kennel at the HS looking all sweet and pathetic and I get tears in my eyes. I really hope it doesn't come down to that.

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:59 pm

I've dealt with many allergies with my dog Muay. She has had numerous skin infections from scratching herself to the point where it is raw. So over the past year, we have kept her on one protein source, of course I feed raw food so it's a little different, but I would suggest that you feed a high quality food, with a protein source that is out of the ordinary for her, like duck or lamb. I also make all of her treats from scratch using blueberries, honey, cinnamon and brown rice flour.

Because of Muay's allergies her ears and feet get yeasty and instead of buying expensive stuff from the vet, I have found that Apple Cider Vinegar (the good stuff with the mother in it, like Bragg) kills the yeast almost instantly. Of course I don't put it on raw skin.

You really need to buy some Benadryl for this dog, because it is awful to be itchy all the time - trust me I know because I've got horrible allergies that make my skin itchy too.

Believe me I know how frustrating it is to watch your dog scratching all the time, but a vet is trained to determine these problems. As well as allergy pills, Muay takes a prednisone pill probably every 3 or 4th day, sometimes every other day during allergy season to keep her comfortable. This is a pretty scary drug with side effects, but I had to decide if the side effect outwayed her ability to live life comfortably and according to my vet, 5mg of prednisone a couple times a week is not too harmful. The good thing is that it is not expensive at all. there are lots of prescription antihistamines that your vet may also prescribe for you also.

You said you are moving back home with your parents in July. Would they not float you a loan until you get back with them? Even a little would help.

NICSMACKIN
Newborn Bully

Postby NICSMACKIN » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:50 pm

Oh good! I am so glad to hear that you are getting some help. I hope the vet can give you some answers.

My Kya has this same problem. I brought her to my vet and he treated her with Dexmethazone and depomedrol (sorry if I am spelling them wrong) And then also decided to treat her for mange. Something he hadn't done before. So far so good.

I would hate to see you have to get rid of your dog because you cannot afford something that might not even be a regular issue once treated.

Good luck Lucy! :thumbsup:

coweatchicken

Postby coweatchicken » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:11 pm

Dickybird, I've talked to my parents and they think I'm stupid for stressing out over a dog. Actually, the only dog I had with them lived for 8 years and died from heart worms. They treated my brother's dog for heart worms only because they saw how much it hurt me when she died so young. They're both from the country and think that if you train the dog, give it good food, and keep it warm it's perfectly fine and doesn't need to see a vet. At least they taught me to hold on to my animals. Everything else I learned on my own.
And they aren't in any position to send money since they're trying to buy and remodel a house AND move out of state because of that house. I wouldn't dare ask them. Nevertheless, they're great parents and I'm not bashing them!

And thank you everyone for talking about your dogs issues. I think I'm going to write everything down and bring it with me to the vet and go over the list with her. Sometimes, even for a DR., they need their mind jarred a bit to come up with new ideas.

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:35 am

Hey ...good for you on not giving up!

Sometimes we get so stressed out we don't know what to do, we feel overwhelmed and just can't see past the stress to a solution. I'm glad you've made it through that part and are back in the game to say. Hopefully a different angle will help you and the vet.

coweatchicken

Postby coweatchicken » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:53 am

We got the loan!
I'm waiting for 10 am to roll around so we can get our butts to the vet's office. I suggested to my husband that we hand over the cat as collateral, but he pointed out it wouldn't look good if they saw the scratches and bites on my hands!

This morning she's doing good. Figures. How often do we bring children to the DR or the car to the mechanic and when we get there, no symptoms? Frustrating but at least she's relaxing in relief right now. My husband had to work last night so I let her sleep on the bed with me for the first time. Maybe the idea of sleeping with me calmed her nerves enough. Unfortunately, even if it's a cure we can't do it. I'd have to buy her her own bed since she likes to "snuggle" and push me out of the bed with her feet. I woke up with a cold bum and realized I was hanging off the bed with my leg supporting me. She was stretched out and kind of wrapped in the blankets really tight which would explain why I just had a corner of the sheet. I laughed way too hard.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:15 am

YEa for the loan. And please let us know what the vet says! Paws crossed it is nothing too serious and whatever she has it will be easily solved. :hug: to you and your pup!

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:51 am

I sent the Revolution off, use it with your vets advice and I am so happy you did not euth the dog. You got the loan, the flea stuff is coming and you will be on the right track soon.

Keep us posted!

Return to “Health Issues”