Variety...is it really the spice of life?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Variety...is it really the spice of life?

Postby Jazzy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:34 pm

My 10 month old APBT has always been somewhat of a picky eater. We have decided upon Merrick Grammy's Pot Pie dry mixed with wet with some real cooked chicken added. (Assuming Merrick remains unaffected by the recall, I'm pleased with their product).

I have researched...and as is usually the case, you can always find experts with differing opinions. So, I have read 1. Don't change your dog's diet, they need to eat the same thing, change will upset their digestive system...AND...I have read 2. Dogs get sick of eating the same thing constantly and there is nothing wrong with varying their diet.

What I definitely know is Veronica is picky; it's not in my character to enter into food wars with her no matter who or how many reccommend it, and she does get sick of things (for example she used to love pumpkin, and I was sooo happy because it really made a fine looking poop :thumbsup: . Now the only way she'll eat pumpkin is if I sit on her and force it down her throat :frown: .

What I am thinking of doing is alternating among the different flavors of Merrick...they also make accompanying dry & wet for their turkey/duck, beef and wilderness blend flavors. All are approved for all stages of life. As far as I know she has no food allergies...yet...
What I would do is rotate to a different flavor every time I finish a bag of dry.

What do you guys think?

Jazzy

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:45 pm

I rotate every bag to a different variety of Natures Variety. Does it do anything for them? ill never know, but i know that i wouldnt want to eat the same thing for my whole life, and my dogs REALLY enjoy meal time. lol

As for the upset stomach, some dogs can handle an immediate switch, others need a few days to change, but its not going to harm them.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:55 pm

I combine NV salmon and NV Venison in the storage container and they get a mix of both everyday. I don't just buy one brand of canned food either. I give them a different variety everyday.

rutibegga
Super Bully

Postby rutibegga » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:03 pm

I've just started feeding raw, and my dogs have to say that variety? It friggin' rocks. They never know if they're getting a chicken back, thigh, drumstick or what. "And maybe today we'll have some of that stew (Honest Kitchen dehydrated stuff)? Or some eggs? "

My dogs think variety totally kicks butt. Before we started with raw, they always loved when I'd switch kibbles or add different canned foods in. I think they get bored with the same ol'. I mean, I love pizza, but I think if it was all I ever got, I might get a little tired of it eventually. (Or maybe not, I mean... it's PIZZA!)

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:18 pm

I feed Nature's Vareity and Merrick, switch every other bag, then in between will get a bag of Innova, or something high quality (except the recalls have put a hamper on this at my house). Everynight they get either some lightly cooked meat, chciken, cottage cheese, mackeral, sardines, eggs, Merrick can dog food added to their kibble too.
I think they msut ahve variety to get the nutrition they need.
we don't eat a bag of dry crunchy stuff our entire lives and expect to stay healthy, we have to eat a big varietyof different fruits, veggies, meats, etc to get proper nutrition, so go by that theory for my dogs too

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks so much guys!

Tommorrow it's Cowboy Cook- out for us!
:peace:

Jazzy

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:44 pm

My dogs both have had some pretty sever GI problems, but even still I try to add different things to thier food. When I fed kibble I'd add yogurt, fish, different canned foods, veggies, meats, etc. I never had a problem honestly, and I think the more fresh foods and variety the dog is getting, all the better.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:53 pm

Your dogs will let you know what they can handle. Mine are garbage guts that used to eat all my healthy leftovers and eat whatever I brought home from school. Now Romeo has food allergies and I have to eat my own leftovers, but I certainly don't think it UNhealthy to switch foods AS LONG AS YOUR DOG IS OK... some dogs aren't. My parents dog gets more and more picky with every switch and has now starved himself to emaciation...

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:37 pm

personally i think a lot of the GI upset from switching foods is due to dogs eating one thing for year after year with no variety. maybe i'm just lucky, but i switch my dogs cold turkey all the time with no problem at all, and luce had a relatively touchy gut when i first got her (she'd get diarrhea easily and it took me at least four kibbles until i found something that made her not have cowpie poops).

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:29 pm

I really respect the opinion of everyone here, so this makes me feel like I'm on the right track.

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Jazzy

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 pm

I feed raw so Tucker eats beef, chicken and tripe in the same week. Unfortunately due to Muay's allergies she only can eat buffalo, moose, goat and tripe but mostly she eats buffalo. She doesn't seem to mind eating the same thing every day.

Return to “Health Issues”