Mars Inc. to buy Nutro

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Mars Inc. to buy Nutro

Postby Maryellen » Wed May 02, 2007 9:35 am

http://www.nutroproducts.com/press5-1-07mars.asp

Mars, Incorporated to Acquire Nutro Products, Inc.
McLean, VA, May 1, 2007 – Mars, Incorporated today announced the signing of a definitive agreement to acquire the global pet food operations of Nutro Products Inc., a leading manufacturer of high nutrition, high performance dog and cat foods sold in pet specialty and farm and feed stores. Closing of the purchase of Nutro from funds advised by Bain Capital Partners LLC, a global private investment firm, is subject to normal regulatory approvals which are expected to be completed within a few months. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The transaction will bring together two of the most recognized names in the petcare industry. Nutro will operate as a stand-alone organization within the Mars family of companies and will maintain its commitment to the pet specialty channel.

"This acquisition will enhance our business by providing Mars with Nutro's high quality brands," said Bob Gamgort, North American president for Mars. "These brands are known for quality ingredients, unsurpassed nutrition and high consumer loyalty. Nutro's product portfolio, exceptional sales force, operational excellence, and strong focus on customer service will be an outstanding addition to our business," said Gamgort.

Nutro president and CEO David Kravis, together with the current management team, will continue to operate the business from its headquarters in City of Industry, CA. "We are proud of our relationship with Nutro pet parents, and of the long-standing, mutually supportive relationships we have developed with our specialty pet store partners. We look forward to building on those strengths and our continued commitment to them with the support of Mars," Kravis said.

Goldman, Sachs & Co. is serving as financial advisor, and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP is acting as counsel to Mars, Incorporated. JP Morgan Chase is serving as financial advisor, and Ropes & Gray LLP is acting as counsel to Nutro Products.

# # #

About Nutro Products, Inc.
Nutro Products, Inc., based in City of Industry, California, is a leading manufacturer of high nutrition, high performance dog and cat foods sold in pet specialty and farm and feed stores. Nutro currently offers a complete line of natural foods for dogs, including Natural Choice® dog food, MAX® dog food, and its new Ultra™ holistic nutrition dog food. For cats, Nutro product offerings include Natural Choice® Complete Care® and its MAX® Cat Gourmet Classics®. Nutro also offers an extensive line of biscuits for dogs, treats for dogs and cats and a new line of dog desserts.

About Mars, Incorporated
Mars, Incorporated is a private company headquartered in McLean, Virginia with operations in 65 countries in petcare, snack food, drinks and food. Its brands include PEDIGREE®, WHISKAS®, M&M'S®, SNICKERS® and UNCLE BEN'S®. Mars, Incorporated has 40,000 associates worldwide, and annual global sales of approximately $21 billion.

For Cats | For Dogs | Where to Buy Nutro | Donations | Promotions | Press Releases | Frequently Asked Questions | For Breeders | Frequent Buyer Program | Rebates | About Us | Contact Us

Copyright ©2003 Nutro Products, Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy policy.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed May 02, 2007 7:15 pm

humpf..why am I having an Iam's flashback....

there goes another food.. and pedigree ? egads.

adoptanapbt
Super Bully

Postby adoptanapbt » Wed May 02, 2007 7:40 pm

:crybaby: :crybaby: :po:

After the long debate with myself about whether to switch my pets from Nutro, and then deciding to up them to Nutro Ultra rather than switching brands. Now I have to do the "which food do I feed now" debate all over!! :frown:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed May 02, 2007 7:58 pm

That is not encouraging news is it?

bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bassol808 » Thu May 03, 2007 2:35 am

I was thinking of buying some Nutro for Oreo....just saw in the newspaper that a feed store over here has the Nutro on sale.....it seemed interesting to pick up because it was pretty cheap and it said "natural"....but I guess I have to hold back on that one....

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:04 am

They want to buy Nutro because its profitable and its a niche market they can get into more easily by purchasing an established company than by starting their own (who would really believe Mars was interested in holistic food?).

If they don't keep up to client expectations by keeping the food up to par, their niche market profits will go in the crapper... so I really wouldn't worry TOO much about whats going to happen to the food. But definately something to keep an eye on...

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Thu May 03, 2007 12:17 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:They want to buy Nutro because its profitable and its a niche market they can get into more easily by purchasing an established company than by starting their own (who would really believe Mars was interested in holistic food?).

If they don't keep up to client expectations by keeping the food up to par, their niche market profits will go in the crapper... so I really wouldn't worry TOO much about whats going to happen to the food. But definately something to keep an eye on...

Look at what hepened to Iams after it got bought out it is still a popular food by name. The ingredients got worse than they were and they ended up in grocery stores and Wal-marts, and I can bet the same thing will happen to Nutro.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 03, 2007 12:34 pm

Yes, Nutro will end up in grocery stores. I really don't think WHERE a food is sold has anything to do with its quality... the quality is in the ingredients and the manufacturing. Yes, its entirely possible that the ingredient quality will go down, but I think they'll lose a lot of the "following" that they're so keen on purchasing if they do that. Maybe they won't care and everyone will find a new food. I was never that impressed with Nutro anyway, its just another middle of the road food, barely a step above Iams in my opinion... my parents have fed it on and off for years.

I don't know what Iams was like before it was bought out, so I can't use that for comparison.

cisom
Matured Bully

Postby cisom » Thu May 03, 2007 1:02 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:They want to buy Nutro because its profitable and its a niche market they can get into more easily by purchasing an established company than by starting their own (who would really believe Mars was interested in holistic food?).

MARS has owned a "holistic" organic line of human food called Seeds of Change for a few years now. Most large food companies are getting into this trend because it is very profitable.

someday
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby someday » Thu May 03, 2007 1:10 pm

Great..now what am I going to feed? That's the best I can feed around here..sad as that is.

donnannjay
Super Bully

Postby donnannjay » Thu May 03, 2007 5:25 pm

OMG- I have fed my 15 year old Sheltie Nutro for about 13 years now and just switched her to the adult formula. I started her on the food because her fur and skin did not look right and someone suggested this brand to me. She cleared up right away and had no other problems. I feed my young pitty the Nutro with extra protein. I have had great luck with this food. Do you guys think the formula is going to change?

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Thu May 03, 2007 8:26 pm

I wouldn't worry as long as they don't change the ingredients or suppliers of the ingredients.

I feed Jack Blue Buffalo but my forster gets nutro lamb meal and rice.

Return to “Health Issues”