Everyone that neutered there male young...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Sun May 06, 2007 9:40 pm

Great. I hope it doesnt affect my dog... Maybe i should have waited....

Doberpit

Postby Doberpit » Sun May 06, 2007 9:52 pm

I didn't post what I posted to scare or make anyone regret anything. Your dog will be fine. As was mentioned, many females (who never have the level of testosterone in their bodies that their male counterparts do) end up looking just fine, some even impressive. But without mincing words, snipping WILL affect your dog in the manner I stated. You can't avoid it. It doesn't affect some dogs and not others; removing testes yield predictable physoological results, i.e. less testosterone and androgen development, which results in physical development without nature's intended level of male hormones.

What exactly are you afraid of? That he won't appear muscular? If so, then it's unlikely that snipping will be the sole reason an unmuscular dog ends up that way. Most dogs who would be muscular intact will end up looking pretty impressive anyway even when castrated. It's just that they'd be more impressive physically with the influence of more male hormone.

Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Sun May 06, 2007 9:59 pm

Its not so much of being so muscular, just hope hes not skinny and lanky you know what i mean?? Best way i can describe it... And to clear this up with everyone, I love him the same way ether way.

Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Sun May 06, 2007 10:02 pm

He seems a little skinny in the legs now... Weight wise no, and hes not really overweight, he will be 4 months on the 11th and hes weighting about 28lbs as of a few days ago that i weighted him... Heres a quick pic for you to see and tell me what u think....

Doberpit

Postby Doberpit » Sun May 06, 2007 10:02 pm

Allie wrote:My boys were both neutered when they were around 6 months. They are very muscley, especially Piper. I can't get any really good pics of their muscle definition (maybe because they're white?). I think a lot of it just depends on their genetics.

True. The #1 determinant of muscularity is genetics. Exercise and diet play a role too but nothing trumps good genetics. If you want a good idea of what your dog will look like, take a look at his/her parents.

There are plenty of intact (unsnipped) males out there who are long and rangy and skinny. And there are plenty of neutered males who appear muscular. Why? Genetics.

Again, removing testes impacts muscular development, but only within that dog's genetic range of development. A dog that was destined to be a musclehead will be less so after neutering. though he may still look good anyway. A dog that was destined to be skinny will probably not change a whole lot.

Doberpit

Postby Doberpit » Sun May 06, 2007 10:06 pm

It's tough to tell from pics of a dog that young. But if you ask me, that dog was not going to be a musclehead anyway, snipping or no snipping. His limbs and torso seem to be on the long side and his shoulder and hip girdles are not wide. He looks like he'll turn out looking very athletic though, which is a look I like quite a lot.

Do you know what his parents looked like? Chances are he'll look like them.

Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Sun May 06, 2007 10:06 pm

His mom isnt muscular but she also has a horrible diet (publix food) not my dog....

Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Sun May 06, 2007 10:08 pm

This is his mom...........

mern

Postby mern » Wed May 09, 2007 5:08 pm

Tanner was neutered at 2 months. He was under going extensive surgery so the vet threw in the option to neuter him as well seeing as it could have some great benefits doing it early I went ahead with it. By 6 months old he was the bigger than both his parents and the litter of 7. Hes now ten months old and is still the biggest, tall and wide. He hasnt began to fill out entirely yet but I think hes reached his maximum height if not maybe I'd give him 2-3 inches more to grow. I dont think it has had much of an effect on him, as for muscle wise hes muscular but I'll have to wait and see once he gets older.

Image pic of him lying down although he looks mostly fat haha
not very good pics for muscle but it shows his size.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Wed May 09, 2007 9:26 pm

My dog was neutered at 4 months, and I think he has a nice body. Pretty lean and muscular. Sorry, can't post pics right now!

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Wed May 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Your dog also looks like a mix. I personally doubt it would have been a muscular dog to begin with.

Jake was neutered at 11 weeks, and while he was very tall (he was a mix as well though), he was a very muscular dog. The benefits outweigh the risks for me. :thumbsup:

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu May 10, 2007 10:31 am

Odnarb's dog Grant, I *think* was a pediatric neuter. He has an awesome physique!

Blue1514
Newborn Bully

Postby Blue1514 » Thu May 10, 2007 11:23 am

The shelter neutered Blue @ 7 months. He's lean with lots of muscle definition. He's certainly not as stocky as many pits I've met, but I think pits are more athletic when they're more lean and less bulky. I think he's just a tall and lean dog to begin with, kinda like his owner.

jessandace
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jessandace » Thu May 10, 2007 11:45 am

ace was neutered before we got him... he was 4-8 weeks when we adopted him.
:(
will he be scrawny forever?
[img]
http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/200 ... 6fQFy8.jpg[/img]

jessandace
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jessandace » Thu May 10, 2007 11:45 am

Return to “Health Issues”