No Vaccinations.. Is this a problem?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

No Vaccinations.. Is this a problem?

Postby TahsSunny » Wed May 09, 2007 6:22 am

Heylo everyone!

Ok, quite alot of people might flame me, or just get annoyed or something, not really sure.. or might think I'm irresponsible, I'm not, I do my best to take care of Guage but I can't always afford everything..

Well, Guage is a year old SBT.. He had only one shot of Vaccinations when he was younger, he got vaccinated once but never got his 2nd shots done 4 weeks later because I didn't have the money.. and money was/is tight on mum so she couldn't pay for it. Also, he hasn't got any recent vaccinations.

He has been wormed, though, the worming tablets came from a shop and cost about $6 but the Heart worm tablets we got for him were $20. Should we get worming tablets which cost more, or do these sort work?, even though they are cheap.

Well...
My question is...
Should it be a high concern to get Guage vaccinated again?.. Is there a high chance he'll get sick?.. I fear he will because I walk him twice a day (He sometimes meets other dogs along the way..) Once and awhile he'll get to go to the dog beach (rarely) but every week I do meet up with a friend and his dog.. His dog has had all it's shots. Please, don't get mad, I'm 15 (without a job, soon to be getting one) and mum doesn't have the money to pay for anything.. She's struggling as it is, I'm lucky she lets me keep

Guage. I swear, as soon as I get a job, my first pay check will be going towards him getting all the shots/worming he needs and ofcourse awhile lot of treats and toys! I do my best for him, I swear, last year for my birthday I asked mum to enter me into a training school for him and the only presents I got was for him! He got treats! and I got nothing for myself but I was happy!. I just got to see a movie.. xD and when we where out, we got him more stuff. I spoil him when I can.

Thanks,
Tahlia & Guage

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Wed May 09, 2007 6:40 am

Your dog should absolutely without a doubt have its vaccinations IMO.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 09, 2007 6:47 am

Yes, its a huge concern. Especially if you live in an area where other dogs don't get vaccinated or there is a high number of un-vaccinated stray dogs. The diseases commonly vaccinated for are DEADLY.... and if you haven't gotten your dog a rabies vaccination, then not only are you breaking the law, but they can and will kill your dog if it bites someone. Don't believe me, read this thread...
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=66325

Vaccinations are essential not only for the life and health of your dog, but for human health as well. He needs at LEAST one more set of core vaccinations, preferably two, and again every 5 years if money is tight, every 3 if you can afford it, and rabies according to law (varies from every 1-3 years by state).

indianas_mom
Matured Bully

Postby indianas_mom » Wed May 09, 2007 7:21 am

One of the rescues I volunteer with almost lost a dog to Parvo a while ago. It's awful !!!! And it was very expensive to save him.

Get the core vaccines and rabies.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed May 09, 2007 7:33 am

Wouldn't you need to start over on shots now? Since you didn't complete the series?

When I acquired Kane, I couldn't find out what shots he had had. I believe previous owners had given him his 1st set of puppy shots, but never continued. I ended up having to start over on puppy shots when I got him at 6 months old.

wyldmoonwoman
Adolescent Bully

Postby wyldmoonwoman » Wed May 09, 2007 8:12 am

you definitely need to have your dog vaccinated...isn't it mandatory to have rabies vaccines where you live?

I am not going to "flame" on you, I get the sense that you know what you are supposed to do, but if you cannot afford vet care, you shouldn't have an animal, period, what happens if he tears and ACL tomorrow? How are you going to handle that?

TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby TahsSunny » Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 am

I'm gonna have to try and get his vaccinated as soon as possible.. the worse thing is it's going to have to wait a month or two, I know, this defiantly isn't a good thing. I'm applying for a job tomorrow, hopefully they'll take me on, if not then I'll apply somewhere else and fast..

Misskiwi67,
Honestly, I didn't even know my dog needed a rabies vaccination.. I'll make sure to get that done as soon as possible aswell.. I don't need look look at the thread (Though, I did) I know what your saying is true. Do you know how much these normally cost?

wyldmoonwoman,
I don't know what I'd do if the ACL took him.. Trust me, I think about it all the time especially when he's out the back and no ones home while I'm at school. It's never far from my mind..

Well, when I first got a dog, I never knew all the costs they were because my mum never got our other dogs vaccinated, rabies vaccination.. She just had them registered (I think).. (Well, they never left the back yard so whats a huge chance of them catching something.)

So, I never knew about all the care they needed till I started researching about dogs more and untill I stumbled upon this site.. and still, I knew I wasn't completely ready for a dog but Guage was sort of just Dumped on us.. My brother refused to take him to the pound so we got him and he didn't become `Mine' untill 2weeks later.. No one else would care for him.

--- ---

Also, I know there might be a less chance of catching anything if I left him out the back but then it wouldn't be fair for him because he'd be on the chain most of the day which isn't fair thats why I walk him alot.

Well, it's ether I have no dog, (Which would be hard on me..) and he goes to my brother.. My brother at this point can't take him because of there other dog, so I'm now keeping him..

But, if he went to my brother Guage would be chained up all day! Hardly walked or played with because he's to busy.. and I'm not to sure if he'd get what Guage needs, he might, depends if he can afford it because he was worried about Guage when he heard Heartworm killed.. He was going to give me the money but couldn't at that point. I could try and ask for my brother to pay half of the costs, he might.. Also, my brother wouldn't take Guage from me because I know how much I love him thats why he wouldn't take him back or give him to a friend and he refuses to send him to the pound.

---

I'll keep you all updated on when I go to the vet..
I plan on getting him registered first (I know.. I know.. He should already be registered.), then vannicted, (They'll both be done on the same day if I have a job by then). While I'm at the vets I'll get him fully checked over, de-sexed after my brother breeds him (:po:) then I can start spoiling him with toys and treats..

---

Thanks for not flaming me guys/girls...
I'm asking for advice, I hope it's good to know I'm not someone who's letting my dog rot, I'm not mistreating him.. I'm seriously, truly trying my best to care for him, I swear..

---

Thanks,
Tahlia and Guage

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed May 09, 2007 9:39 am

Guage wrote:I'll keep you all updated on when I go to the vet..
I plan on getting him registered first (I know.. I know.. He should already be registered.), then vannicted, (They'll both be done on the same day if I have a job by then). While I'm at the vets I'll get him fully checked over, de-sexed after my brother breeds him (:po:) then I can start spoiling him with toys and treats..

What?!? I thought he was your dog?

Sirian
Super Bully

Postby Sirian » Wed May 09, 2007 9:47 am

If the OP lives in AUS they may not need a rabies vaccination, correct me if I am wrong but isnt AUS a rabies free country?

In the US you can buy vaccines and administer them yourself they run about $2-$5 much cheaper than the vet charges, you should check and see if you can do this in AUS.

TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby TahsSunny » Wed May 09, 2007 9:51 am

He is my dog.. but before I got Guage he belonged to my brother.. and my brothers really stubborn, trust me.. He wants to breed Guage atleast once to get something otta him for the money he spent on him.. or a puppy.

So, in a way, in my brothers eyes, he has some right over Guage.. Well, not completely but he always wanted to breed Guage once and then he said I could get him de-sexed. My mum would be fine just to de-sex him but she doesn't wanna get him angry so..

I'm trying my best to convince him not to.. Once I have a job and enough money to de-sex him I'm gonna start bugging my brother, talking to him about getting Guage de-sexed. I understand everything about over-population, but he doesn't think about that. He adores his dogs, but he doesn't think about the problems with breeding a dog. :frown:
I'm trying to stop him but when he gets a new dog I bet he'll just breed it aswell..

TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby TahsSunny » Wed May 09, 2007 9:56 am

Sirian,

I think your right.. I've never heard of a Rabies Vaccination here.. I'll research it though, just to be safe.. Don't want to get into any trouble. I'm sure I don't need one though..

and I'll check out the Vaccines you and administer yourself.. Should I search on google or what? Any advice? or could I ring the vet and ask them?.. But what would I search/say?. and wow... thats cheap!

PS
mommy2kane,
Could you PLEASE post some photos of Kane in the gallary! I've been trying to found some and can't!.. I think he's a little darling, I wanna see more of him! ... :inlove: ...

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed May 09, 2007 10:04 am

Guage wrote:PS
mommy2kane,
Could you PLEASE post some photos of Kane in the gallary! I've been trying to found some and can't!.. I think he's a little darling, I wanna see more of him! ... :inlove: ...

Wow, I think you made me blush! I will definitely try to bump some older threads up for you to see Kane. And I guess I better get some new pics soon!

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed May 09, 2007 10:09 am

I bumped up my most recent thread of pics. I will get more soon!

jessandace
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jessandace » Wed May 09, 2007 10:16 am

vaccinations and neutering should be the first things on your list.

just a question...

who is going to pay for the new puppies' vaccinations that your dog sires?

TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby TahsSunny » Wed May 09, 2007 10:17 am

lol, well, you should be proud of him.. I'm in love with him, Mind if I hug him? *Hugs Kane* Please, I'm begging you, get some more soon! Any chance you'll tell me more about him?.. and I can't wait to see more photos of him! PM me if you think this thread will get to much off topic.. lol .. and whats Kane doing at this very point in time?. :}

Return to “Health Issues”