When do they "fill out"?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dra6onpit
Bully Lover 4 Life

When do they "fill out"?

Postby dra6onpit » Wed May 09, 2007 1:31 pm

I am raising my very first PB puppy. My others, Edith Ann and Teddy were both adults (practically) when they were rescued so I really don't have any frame of reference.

Dexter - the pup in question - is already as tall as Edith Ann (roughly 20 inches) but is still built like a coon hound! His face is still on the narrow side too. Best we have figured is that he will be 7 months at the end of May. (he was a rescue too, reasonable back story but you never REALLY know about age).

I really have two questions
1- when do they "fill out" - aka when is this little skinny Olive Oil going to turn into Popeye?

2- I know that some pbs have thinner faces and some have wider faces. As I mentioned, his is still thin - do their faces bulk out in the "fill in" process too or should I expect that I just have one of the thin-faced guys?

Thanks for your replies in advance. I know that there is a lot of collective experience here.

PS here are a couple of fairly recent pics:

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Wed May 09, 2007 1:37 pm

OMG he's absolutely adorable! I love his ears too! :inlove:

I don't know when or even if he'll fill out though.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed May 09, 2007 1:49 pm

OMG! I am in love with those ears!

It depends on genetics. Don't forget just because your pit bull isn't wide, doesn't necessarily mean he is not filled out. If you have a pup that is going to look more like the "gamebred" APBT's, you are going to have a pup that is solid but lean. One of my pit bulls, Logan, will be 2 this July and he is still "filling out", at least for his body type. ;)

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed May 09, 2007 2:12 pm

they usually fill out by 2 or 3,.. so you have a ways to go.. but with genetics, he could fill out and be tall and lean, or he could get wider and stay that height.. you wont know until he turns 3 probably.

when rufus was little, he was short and stout.. he hit the lanky deer leg stage at 7 months, then at 9 months he got a tad wider, and then by 3 years old he was done growing height and weight wise..

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Wed May 09, 2007 2:52 pm

I have no *useful* input on the growth thing (I'm not really even a "breed" person, per se, Pits or anything else with the possible exception of Rotties)...

I just had to say OMGOMGOMG!!!! He is so fricken cute it hurts! Wook at dat widdle face and dem cwazy ears! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed May 09, 2007 3:27 pm

Here's what Sidda looked like at around a year (I think):
around a year and a half she started to look less gangly:

And my most recent, 2.5 years:

Not the greatest photos, but she really started to fill out around 2 years. I think she may be mostly done growing now. I should try to get some more recent ones.

dra6onpit
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dra6onpit » Wed May 09, 2007 3:50 pm

Even with the few replies I have learned a LOT! (thanks guys) I am getting way ahead of myself here! I think I have just gotten so confused looking at other posts of people's dogs that are near mine in age and they just seem so much more mature.

Of course this brings up another issue - SUPPOSEDLY, Edith Ann and Teddy were "8 months" when I got them. Considering how much further along they were than Dexter at the point that I got them makes me seriously rethink how old they really are. That is the only thing that stinks about rescue dogs, most often there are so many unknowns.

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Wed May 09, 2007 4:03 pm

My boy never really filled out much... he does have the wider head, but a fairly narrow chest compared with most of the other bullies I see. He's still got all kinds of beefy muscles, he's just not so barrel-chested.

mern

Postby mern » Wed May 09, 2007 4:46 pm

My pups ten months old and hes somewhat tall yet very stalky, his head almost looks to small for how wide his shoulders are, with my sisters dog she was always on the shorter side but she started filling out at about a year and a half and then by two years she went "BOOF" and started gaining muscle mass.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Wed May 09, 2007 5:07 pm

That is the only thing that stinks about rescue dogs, most often there are so many unknowns.

TOTALLY! We still haven't "picked out" a b-day for the more recently adopted of my two mutts. Got the best age estimate my vet could give me (between 1 and 2, and closer to 1), so we just have to pick out a day we'll remember. Might just be March 16, the day he left the shelter to come home with me. Or he's such a love, maybe he'll be a Valentine's Day boy. :inlove:

IlovemyAPBT

Postby IlovemyAPBT » Wed May 09, 2007 5:37 pm

Sorry, I have no answer to ur question. But, MY GOD.. ur puppy is soo stinkin cute!! His ears.. and that last pic he looks like he is laughing in. Love it all!

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: When do they "fill out"?

Postby nsbullylover » Wed May 09, 2007 6:10 pm

dra6onpit wrote:

Is it just me, or does this pup's coat look like it may be merle? Maybe it's just the lighting of the photos, but it looks like he has some darker spots on his hips/bum area. If it is merle, that would mean he is a mix, so it's impossible to know what he will look like as an adult or how he will fill out.

Either way, he's absolutely gorgeous, and I love the last pic where it looks like he is laughing.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed May 09, 2007 6:52 pm

I was just going to ask if he was Merle. Those ears are adorable.

dra6onpit
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dra6onpit » Wed May 09, 2007 7:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the compliments, what ever he is or turns out to be he will no doubt remain adorable.

meginok wrote:TOTALLY! We still haven't "picked out" a b-day for the more recently adopted of my two mutts. Got the best age estimate my vet could give me (between 1 and 2, and closer to 1), so we just have to pick out a day we'll remember. Might just be March 16, the day he left the shelter to come home with me. Or he's such a love, maybe he'll be a Valentine's Day boy. :inlove:

Yes of our dogs have the following birthdays:
New Years Day, St. Patrick's Day & Halloween. :)

Kingsgurl wrote:I was just going to ask if he was Merle. Those ears are adorable.

Oh yes, he has some back end spotting for sure. Otherwise he is blue/seal everywhere else except his chest and paws. He is a byb dog from what I understand so anything is possible. In what breeds does the merle coat show up in?

zachncsu984

Postby zachncsu984 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:11 pm

i've also been wondering about how big my pup will get. the breeder told me it would take her 2.5-3 years to grow full and also suggested a certain type of food because of the high percentage of protein. full grown her mother was right around 110 lbs and the father about 135. right now shes only 10 months, pushing 70 lbs, and a little bigger than all the males from her litter. i don't have any problem with her becoming 120+ pound giant cause she wouldn't hurt a fly, but she does get in the way when she lays across the couch. :tongue:

this pic was taken about 3 weeks ago:

you might want to try a different type of food with a high percentage of protein and fat with no fillers. heres a link to the food a give my pup: http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/SP_Power.html , it runs about $40 a bag.

Return to “Health Issues”