Changing Helena's food. Going higher Quality

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Changing Helena's food. Going higher Quality

Postby Shes Got Heart » Wed May 09, 2007 9:50 pm

Helena has been eating Purina One since she was weaned. She is 4 months old now and around 25 lbs estimating. I don't really have a set amount I feed her everyday because I'm not sure whats appropriate for her size. But I feed her 3 times a day.

Anyway.. I was comparing Pet Foods today at the store and I've done a little research about ingredients. So I bought a trial size of a food called Chicken Soup for the puppy lovers soul large breed puppy. It's manufactured by Diamond. It's first ingredients are Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, white rice, oatmeal, whole grain brown rice, potatoes, drunk, carrots peas, salmon oil. There are much more good things to list as well.

Anyway it doesn't contain any by-products or corn gluten. And I fed it to her tonight and she gobbled it up like it was crack. She is setting her whining right now because I have the bag out looking at the ingredients! roflmao She must like it. I've never seen her react this way to her other food. I talked to another customer at the store and she recommended it. She said that it's all natural even people could eat it. lol And it even explains all of its ingredience on the back. I am thinking about feeding this food. A 6 lb bag was under 8 dollars. The 8 lb of Purina ONE is over 9 dollars. So I think they equal out pretty well on cost? And the 8 lb bag usually lasts me a week. But I have heard with a higher quality food you can feed less and get more so it might even out. I am also considering Authority Puppy all natural with added vit and minerals. I haven't seen an ingredient list for this yet though. Anyone know of it? It is 15 lb bag for 12.99 pretty good price. And then my next option was some type of Nutro.

What do you guys think about the Chicken Soup for the puppy lover's soul? I know it's a long name! lol Thats what I think! But Helena really likes it and it seems to be a really good quality food at a great price.

Comments or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Wed May 09, 2007 9:54 pm

Heres a link to the website with full list of ingredients.

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloversso ... y_formula/

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed May 09, 2007 9:54 pm

drunk,

:huh?:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed May 09, 2007 9:55 pm

drunk? I am confused...

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Wed May 09, 2007 9:55 pm

Deniselynn wrote:drunk? I am confused...

it's in the ingredients list. I was confused too! lol

Dizzy
Adolescent Bully

Postby Dizzy » Wed May 09, 2007 9:57 pm

I like CS as a dog food over all, but you should be aware that they did recall their puppy and kitten foods a few weeks ago (not sure if it was the hard or soft or both?). Otherwise, I have no qualms against feeding it-it's what I usually feed my fosters because it's cheap but still of reasonably good quality. :thumbsup:

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Wed May 09, 2007 10:09 pm

haha Correction! Drunk is supposed to be Duck... I have NO idea why I typed it that way. lol Thanks for your feedback Dizzy I'd love to hear from others too! Oh and I checked out that recall and it explained it on their website. It was wet food.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed May 09, 2007 10:12 pm

lol Thanks for clearing that up.

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 pm

lol Not a problem! I'm sleepy and on some medication so forgive me! lol

dragynflye
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dragynflye » Wed May 09, 2007 11:43 pm

only the canned foods were recalled, the dry kibble is (so far) fine. i like cs. i fed it to my kids till i moved to civilization and was able to find canidae and innova. i still use the cs kitten in my ferrets' mix. the chicken soup products are a decent priced, decent quality food.

mern

Postby mern » Thu May 10, 2007 7:35 am

I've never even seen that in stores, I thought you were referring to the book lol

dragynflye
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dragynflye » Thu May 10, 2007 10:55 am

the first time i ever saw it, i thought it was another marketing ploy, ya know, like beniful. but then i read the ingredients and was actually suprised.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Thu May 10, 2007 2:35 pm

I've fed it before (I feed Canidae, but occasionally switch things up). I thought it looked good, plus pretty inexpensive.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Re: Changing Helena's food. Going higher Quality

Postby snoopsnoop » Thu May 10, 2007 3:01 pm

Shes Got Heart wrote:Anyway it doesn't contain any by-products or corn gluten. And I fed it to her tonight and she gobbled it up like it was crack. She is setting her whining right now because I have the bag out looking at the ingredients! roflmao She must like it. I've never seen her react this way to her other food. I talked to another customer at the store and she recommended it. She said that it's all natural even people could eat it.

I probably wouldnt go so far as to say that. I mean, you COULD eat it, but I'm not sure the quality of the meats is the same that would go into human feed. All natural means, basically, nothing artificial. There's a difference, IMO, between all natural and holistic. and then a step up from that is organic. To me the main difference would be whether or not the ingredients were of human-grade. Meaning same quality of human food.
lol And it even explains all of its ingredience on the back. I am thinking about feeding this food. A 6 lb bag was under 8 dollars. The 8 lb of Purina ONE is over 9 dollars. So I think they equal out pretty well on cost? And the 8 lb bag usually lasts me a week. But I have heard with a higher quality food you can feed less and get more so it might even out. I am also considering Authority Puppy all natural with added vit and minerals. I haven't seen an ingredient list for this yet though. Anyone know of it? It is 15 lb bag for 12.99 pretty good price. And then my next option was some type of Nutro.

If you decide to feed Authority, go with the Harvest Baked. It is a better food than the regular Authority for basically the same price. The small bags are the same, but the bigger bags are a few dollars more. IMO, I'd feed the AHB before CS. But it's what the dog likes and what they do well on. Per the Petsmart website, the top 10 ingredients for AHB puppy
Chicken Whole Ground Wheat Chicken Meal Whole Ground Barley Canola Oil Carrots Salmon Meal Dried Egg Product Spinach Tomatoes

If you shop right, you can get Canidae for about the same price as Nutro. And Canidae is a better food. Better than any of the ones previously mentioned. Check small feed stores around you. You'd be surprised some of the good deals you find :thumbsup:

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Thu May 10, 2007 3:43 pm

I've never used the CS foods, but know many who do. I've always thought of it as a pretty good food value on a really decent food. But as I'm sure you've been told...what matters most is how the dog does on it! There are plenty of great foods that would kill my Abbie Lou if they were all I offered her (she's COMPLETELY intolerant of rice), so what's good for many is NOT good for her.

Hope the food works well for your puppers!

Return to “Health Issues”