Fungus Umungus

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MtWhistler
Newborn Bully

Fungus Umungus

Postby MtWhistler » Fri May 11, 2007 11:22 am

Has any one had to deal with skin fold dermatitis? Basically my Chinas' armpits and groin are red, inflamed and stinky. She's been to the vet and he puts her on antibiotics and panalog cream (steroid cream). I have to put the cream in all her "folds" for 7-10 days. This has been going on at least monthly for 2 years. After the first couple of treatments I've disregarded the antibiotics and only used the panalog cream. I've also used human antifungal creams (which work) and plain old Neosporin.

In the breeds that this is more common in (English Bull Dog, Shar-Pei) it can be corrected by surgery, but gosh what a painful recovery!

I just feel sorry for my poor girl; with a red, hot burning belly half the time. Does anyone have any other ideas?

P.S. She eats Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice, and doesn’t seem to have any signs of allergies.

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Sun May 13, 2007 9:22 am

Apple Cider Vinegar will kill bacteria almost right away, but you have to use the stuff with mother in it, such as Bragg (http://www.bragg.com). It killed the yeast in Muay's feet almost instantly. If you are going to put it on broken skin, I would suggest mixing it 50/50 with water. Aloe vera gel works very well also.

You said this has been happening for 2 years now. Does it always happen at the same time of year? I'd imagine it could be seasonal allergies to something outside then. It could also be the laundry detergent or fabric softener used to wash her bedding.

Muay has to be on prednisone this time of year due to seasonal allergies. She only gets one pill every 4 or 5 days so it's not very much, but still can have scary side effects.

MtWhistler
Newborn Bully

Postby MtWhistler » Tue May 15, 2007 12:23 pm

I haven't really found a pattern, but now that you mention the laundry soap thing...hmmm.

You know how some dogs do that froggie butt thing where they kick out their legs behind them. My China does that on her bed. I think I will try a hypo-allergenic soap, and also try the cider vinegar. I took her into the vet yesterday and he put her on antibiotics and prednisone (sp?).

Thanks for the good tips.

MtWhistler
Newborn Bully

Postby MtWhistler » Tue May 15, 2007 4:01 pm

This is the way China lays down most of the time and that is where her dermatitis is. Hmmm....

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Tue May 15, 2007 4:42 pm

Aww poor pup. I wonder if the carpet is bothering her? Are her paws okay?

demo-dog
Adolescent Bully

Postby demo-dog » Tue May 15, 2007 11:41 pm

I'd start giving her a 1/4 of a high quality yogurt with her meals. When dogs are on antibiotics numerous times, their gut chemistry can get thrown out of wack and their system overgrown with bad bacteria and yeast. Yogurt won't be a quick solution, but can help over the long haul. Topical apple cider is good too, as stated, but you need to treat her system, if it's a chronic condition. Fastrack is a great probiotic supplement that helped Brinks when he was first put on antibiotics for his skin problems. He's since been treated only with homeopathic remedies by a professional for it.

http://www.thewholedog.org/id67.html
I'm not some health nut, but I swear by homeopthic treatments for skin problems. My dogs have responded extremely well for their various skin problems. If interested, you can find a Pitcairn certified Homeopathic practioner in you area here:

http://www.drpitcairn.com/referrals/anhc_referrals.html

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Wed May 16, 2007 5:49 am

I have similar problems with my dog, but his are allergies. Here is hoping he feels better soon!

Useless fact -

Did you know phungusamungus is an actual band?

They are a good band - at least the times I saw them in 2002-2003 time frame.

MtWhistler
Newborn Bully

Postby MtWhistler » Wed May 16, 2007 11:39 am

Useless fact -

Did you know phungusamungus is an actual band?

They are a good band - at least the times I saw them in 2002-2003 time frame.

No I didn't no that, but thank you for sharing. :)

Thanks to everyone; China is doing very well her skin is it's normal light pink. I have a Marlene's health food store right up the street from my work and plan on getting the items suggested for her on lunch today.

Katie

Return to “Health Issues”