How long to swim?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
cbow
Bully Lover 4 Life

How long to swim?

Postby cbow » Fri May 11, 2007 8:01 pm

I will be staying at the lake for two weeks and Jade loves to swim. We play fetch out in the water and she doesn't seem to get tired.
How long should we play?
I don't want her swimming and get tired and something happen to her.
(I hate how nobody leashes there dogs here :twisted: )

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri May 11, 2007 8:23 pm

as long as she isnt going to drown, you can essentially let them swim forever. its a non-impact excercise and is great for any dog. i usually make them rest for a little while in between so they dont drown. maybe get a life jacket for him?

cbow
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby cbow » Fri May 11, 2007 9:00 pm

We played for a hour, throw a few and rest for a couple mins. and play some more. She didn't act tired at all. I know she has "heart" and will give her all. I have never seen her tired except when she gets hot but she will still go. I don't want to push to much and she also needs her exercise since I can't take her with me to work for a few weeks.

A little off topic, We went for a little walk and three unleashed dogs came up to us. Jade is a year and a half and showing a bit of dog agression but she did good. Not use to any other dogs around.

cbow
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby cbow » Fri May 11, 2007 9:03 pm

Forgot,
Bye the time I find a life jacket we will be in a new place.
I want to make her "work" and be in great shape and a life jacket will take away from her exercise.

ABA
Newborn Bully

Postby ABA » Sat May 12, 2007 10:55 am

The life jacket may add more resistance and make her work harder. Something to think about. :)

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sat May 12, 2007 11:51 am

i dont think a lifejacket will take anything away from the excercise, but it may save her life.

pooparella
Super Bully

Postby pooparella » Sat May 12, 2007 2:41 pm

I'm not sure that dogs should "swim forever" if they're not used to it. Despite the fact swimming is a non-impact exercise, if your dog is not in good shape or used to working out for hours, it can be too much for her. I mean, imagine if you only walk about half an hour a day (just an example), and then suddenly start swimming for three hours a day every day? Exercise is exercise - you never want to go too hard too fast.

My dog will also throw up quite a bit after swimming more than an hour. A lifejacket may prevent that, though. (I'm going to look into one.) Or maybe it's just my dog...

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Sun May 13, 2007 9:18 am

If the water is cold dogs can sometimes get broken tail. The muscles in the tail sort of freeze and will be painful. Can last up to two weeks. Muay got it last summer when we were on vacation and she was swimming and wouldn't get out of the water.

dtp916
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby dtp916 » Mon May 14, 2007 1:33 am

I made a bad mistake last summer and had my dog swim like 1/8 mile with me after helping pull this huge trampoline raft and we swam to shore. He did not want to swim back out. He didn't swim back out, the raft came and got us. I'm never doing that again, he was way too tired.

My dog will swim until I stop throwing his ball out there. He also goes downstream through currents with me on the river - lots of fun!

Return to “Health Issues”