WARNING: BLACK Kongs are dangerous!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Sun May 13, 2007 1:37 am

pibbles and bits wrote:of course a red one would be more dangerous, considering a back one is made of tire rubber and a red one isn't. lol

The owners of this sick dog should have noticed the shredded kong and thrown it away...

Kayrah just bites the tips off lol

They're both made of rubber, the black is just sturdier, but many dogs can destroy both.

Your comment sounds a bit snarky to me. I'm sure the owner appreciates your criticism, but often a dog can swallow a hunk in mere seconds, and the owner may not realize it. Biting the tips off can cause the same damage, you know. It can be hard having a heavy chewer; they want and need to chew, so you give them supposedly sturdy toys, and they become ill. I'm sure the owner (like me) has learned his/her lesson and will be more careful in the future.

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Sun May 13, 2007 1:43 am

yes, I realize that accidents happen. I'm sure Kayrah has swollowed something she wasn't supposed to, and I'm just lucky (like when she snuck the cooked bone the other day :po: )

I worded it wrong (what else is new :) ). I just meant they should have noticed the shredded kong, noticed pieces missing, and chunks that big to cause an obstruction missing, and brought the dog in just in case. You just shouldn't leave such things to chance IMO.

wyldmoonwoman
Adolescent Bully

Postby wyldmoonwoman » Sun May 13, 2007 7:18 am

6pak wrote:Wouldn't a red one be just as dangerous?

Of course it would...but they advertise the Black Kong as being the one for serious chewers and the kong manufacturer states that pieces the size of a food bit are safe to swallow, well Quincy had a few small pieces in there, not enough to cause a blockage but for some reason it perforated his intestine...it is a freak accident I am sure, maybe the kong rubber is harder/rougher...My sister feels terrible about the whole thing and has tossed all of Quincy's toys in preparation when he comes home...I am going to buy him the biggest/hardest/nylabone when he comes home form the hospital.

Thanks for the well wishes, I will pass them on to my sister

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Sun May 13, 2007 9:24 am

rednoseErnie wrote:
pibbles and bits wrote:of course a red one would be more dangerous, considering a back one is made of tire rubber and a red one isn't. lol

The owners of this sick dog should have noticed the shredded kong and thrown it away...

Kayrah just bites the tips off lol

They're both made of rubber, the black is just sturdier, but many dogs can destroy both.

Your comment sounds a bit snarky to me. I'm sure the owner appreciates your criticism, but often a dog can swallow a hunk in mere seconds, and the owner may not realize it. Biting the tips off can cause the same damage, you know. It can be hard having a heavy chewer; they want and need to chew, so you give them supposedly sturdy toys, and they become ill. I'm sure the owner (like me) has learned his/her lesson and will be more careful in the future.

What Pibbles wrote is true though. It is irresponsible of any dog owner to think that any toy will be indestructable. Toys should be supervised while they are being chewed on/played with.

We, as owners, should recognize that our dogs can do this with literally any toy (or any thing around the house!) and take the proper precautions. Blaming the Kong itself is idiodic IMO.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Sun May 13, 2007 9:47 am

Absolutely. Every owner should know their dog's limits, and if they chew up toys (like mine), no more toys.

I do sometimes shudder when I hear everyone on here recommending a stuffed kong in a crate to keep a dog busy.

Of course, i realize that not all dogs will destroy one, but mine didn't either, until one day he did, and almost died from it.

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Sun May 13, 2007 10:22 am

rednoseErnie wrote:Absolutely. Every owner should know their dog's limits, and if they chew up toys (like mine), no more toys.

I do sometimes shudder when I hear everyone on here recommending a stuffed kong in a crate to keep a dog busy.

Of course, i realize that not all dogs will destroy one, but mine didn't either, until one day he did, and almost died from it.

:oops: omg I am so guilty of that one. Thanks for pointing out my hypocrisy (this is a sincere thanks too!).

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun May 13, 2007 5:09 pm

The Kong company themselves advise supervised use for power chewers, and removing Kong toys that are cracked or have missing pieces. They advise contacting a vet immediately only if you can't find a piece larger than a kibble of food, but don't specifically say that it's okay for dogs to swallow pieces smaller than that.

Return to “Health Issues”