Lymes and dogs (bite pic)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
clownracer
Newborn Bully

Lymes and dogs (bite pic)

Postby clownracer » Sat May 12, 2007 11:40 am

Guys can dogs get lymes? because my dog came in with this mark today...and it looks like the bullseye

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat May 12, 2007 1:02 pm

yes dog do get lymes
the tick has to be on the dog for at least 3 days before the lymes is transmitted
that is why it is good to use the monthly flea/tick preventatives
the lymes vaccines does not work though, so don't wate your money or expose your dog to that vaccine
that does look like a tick bite

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Sat May 12, 2007 1:58 pm

Or ring worm.

clownracer
Newborn Bully

Postby clownracer » Sat May 12, 2007 3:20 pm

Bustersmama wrote:Or ring worm.

vet time :( think it can wait till thursday or should i get it looked at right away its not bothering him

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Sat May 12, 2007 3:47 pm

Ring worm is pretty contagious and if its Lymes - that needs to be treated ASAP or your dog can have long term effects from it, eventually death. Its important to see a vet first thing Monday.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sat May 12, 2007 4:36 pm

pblove wrote:the lymes vaccines does not work though, so don't wate your money or expose your dog to that vaccine

what makes you say that?

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun May 13, 2007 8:30 am

I believe the vaccine is about 75% effective. I don't use it myself. That does look like a tick bite, but it seems odd that the tick isn't still there.
It's actually pretty easy to treat lymes in dogs. People have a much tougher time. While dogs can sometimes have issues w/lyme effecting (I think their liver) which is very serious, because by the time their symptomatic, their is damage, it usually manifests as acute lameness, which may come and go, or change legs. This responds very quickly to antibiotics. It is not unusual for a dog to have a flare up again, but it is easily treated.
I was just talking w/my trainer about this yesterday. He had heard that dogs that are worked rigorously will be prone to flare ups, because of the stress of working that hard, and their career as a working dog is over. I know the year I finally decided to vaccinate XAnny, the pre-vaccine blood work came up positive, so I treated her, didn't vaccinate, worked her, and had no further issues.
The ticks are already out in abundance this year. I just try to check my dogs all the time, to prevent a tick being on too long.

clownracer
Newborn Bully

Postby clownracer » Sun May 13, 2007 8:34 am

Bustersmama wrote:Ring worm is pretty contagious

like i can get it??.....sends cofi dog to the garage till monday!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:03 am

Yes, you can get it, but you have to have a cut on your skin for the fungus to grow in. Just don't touch the area, and wash your hands after playing with the dog. Its contagious, but not harmful. I'd kick the dogs out of the bed, but not the house...

clownracer
Newborn Bully

Postby clownracer » Tue May 15, 2007 10:02 am

couldnt get an appointment till 4 today...but the mark is totally gone! do you still think its worth it to go? id rather not spend the money i dont have if it was just a stupid spider bite or something

jessandace
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jessandace » Tue May 15, 2007 10:09 am

but what if it is something?

crazykel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby crazykel » Tue May 15, 2007 6:58 pm

Okay, I noticed the same exact thing on the groin of my dog last week and now you can barely see it. However, there are twelve of those spots?!?! I've got an apt. too, just to make sure. Be sure to let us know what you find out as your apt. is before mine!!!!!

crazykel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby crazykel » Tue May 15, 2007 6:59 pm

Oh wait, I misread, I guess you didn't have an apt. (Guess, that is what I get for fast reading).

crazykel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby crazykel » Tue May 15, 2007 7:17 pm

Bustersmama wrote:Or ring worm.

I have been looking at this online and it doesn't seem to match really. "...hairless lesions, either circular or not..."
It doesn't seem like they appear in 'hairy' areas. From another site, "These fungi live in the hair follicles, deep within the skin. They damage the hair shaft, which either falls out or breaks off at skin level."

It seems more like they might be caused from some kind of outdoor reaction to grass, weed, or bugs???

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Tue May 15, 2007 11:27 pm

It looks too red to be ring worm.

And YES you CAN get ring worm. I have had ring worm before and it took FOREVER to go away.

Return to “Health Issues”