Screw Petsmart.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
spikesblazin
Adolescent Bully

Screw Petsmart.

Postby spikesblazin » Mon May 14, 2007 8:00 am

ok so every month the usual happenes with what i think is a pit lab. we dont know. but anyhow. he gets the runs at night and during the day he is just fine. so the petsmart one where we got the dog from tells us it is colonitis (sp). which is ok fine. so after the 4th time of this happening we get worried.

well skip to this weekend. we moved my g/f down to ocean city MD for her summer internship. sat night, he gets sick again... so the vet down in salisbury MD tells us what is finally wrong with him. he has to many white blood cells in his i guess butt. and he has some dieases from when he was in the kennel. from stepping in dog poop and he got it from that. so he has had alot wrong with him. the little guys been struggling to poop and he doesnt have to really go..
so almost 200 dollars later, the vet in MD tells us what is wrong and he said come back in 2 weeks. he should be cured for good.
sorry i just had to vent. i dont hate petsmart. just the wanna be vet in the robinson. hate to vent.

hope my dog gets better. i wont see him but 2 weeks all summer. :po:

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Mon May 14, 2007 8:03 am

Forgive me for not understanding, but what does Petsmart have to do with your dog being sick?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon May 14, 2007 8:04 am

And what type medicine did they put him on!?? Is it Coccidia or Giardia (the illness)?????????????
What meds does he get?? Is he ON meds?

Hooligan77

Postby Hooligan77 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:08 am

Was he adopted from PetSmart? If so you need to contact the rescue that adopted him out. I didn't think PetSmart itself adopted out dogs/cats...

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon May 14, 2007 8:56 am

I think he may be referring to the PetSmart vet, Banfield. They have been known (at least in my area) to mis-diagnose many things.

Hooligan77

Postby Hooligan77 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:00 am

so the petsmart one where we got the dog from tells us it is colonitis

He said he got the dog from PetSmart...Does anyone have a PS that adopts dogs out themselves instead of just with a rescue?

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon May 14, 2007 10:06 am

Hooligan77 wrote:
so the petsmart one where we got the dog from tells us it is colonitis

He said he got the dog from PetSmart...Does anyone have a PS that adopts dogs out themselves instead of just with a rescue?

Ohhh ok. I know they don't adopt out dogs from the store itself, but from the "adopt-a-thons" they have on weekends and stuff where rescues bring some of their dogs.

spikesblazin
Adolescent Bully

Postby spikesblazin » Mon May 14, 2007 11:14 am

Sorry. let me type that again to answer your responses.

i got the dog from a adoption place. NOT petsmart. but they came to petsmart.

we take the dog to banfield.

the illness that he has was from stepping the cage that was not properly cleaned. and it starts with an E. he also has colonitis.

sorry i do not know what the medicine he is on. my g/f took him to the vet after we left. i know he is on oxymoacellian (sp).

petsmart has been mis-diagnosing what my dog has. you would think that after the 4th time of going there that they would wanna do more test on him. the guy in MD automatically after he found out the history did more test and found out what was wrong.

so it wasnt the food it was other things.
anything more i'll explain. sorry i was in a hurry to post that up.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon May 14, 2007 11:28 am

spikesblazin wrote:Sorry. let me type that again to answer your responses.

i got the dog from a adoption place. NOT petsmart. but they came to petsmart.

we take the dog to banfield.

the illness that he has was from stepping the cage that was not properly cleaned. and it starts with an E. he also has colonitis.

sorry i do not know what the medicine he is on. my g/f took him to the vet after we left. i know he is on oxymoacellian (sp).

petsmart has been mis-diagnosing what my dog has. you would think that after the 4th time of going there that they would wanna do more test on him. the guy in MD automatically after he found out the history did more test and found out what was wrong.

so it wasnt the food it was other things.
anything more i'll explain. sorry i was in a hurry to post that up.

Yeah, Banfield is notorious for mis-diagnosing. In one incident, they told my friend her cat was FeLeuk negative. He died 6 months later from FeLeuk....wow.

spikesblazin
Adolescent Bully

Postby spikesblazin » Mon May 14, 2007 12:04 pm

wow... ya i trust this guy more doing work on my dog than i do the other one. he is a very knowledgable person. he is not JUST a vet.

:thumbsup:

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Mon May 14, 2007 4:10 pm

Well this has nothing to do with PetSmart. So please do not bad mouth them. PetSmart is a good company and they are for the animals.

They have no control over the dumb vet, who apparently did diagnous one problem correctly but missed the other. Not all vets are perfect either. I hear stuff about vets all the time and not just ones that work for Banfield.

spikesblazin
Adolescent Bully

Postby spikesblazin » Mon May 14, 2007 9:27 pm

sorry. i always consider petsmart the same as bansfield. i have nothing wrong with petsmart. cept that fact that one lady put a muzzle on my dog even thou they had his rabies info on file but were to lazy to look it up.. thats the only problem with them. but you would think that they should know or be able to LOOK up stuff on the computer or be willing to do more testing on an animal. after this yr is up i will not take my dog to bansfield.

i dont mean to offend you i guess you work there.

non the less i think they should look more into there vets than anything. and i willbe calling the adoption place to let them know that they dont have clean cages and got my puppy a diease.

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Tue May 15, 2007 12:16 am

Yeah I do work there.
But PetSmart only houses Banfield from my understanding. I don't think they have a say in the vets. If they did, I am pretty sure they would have better vets than the ones I have heard about.
PetSmart is a great company to work for.

There is a Banfield in our store but it is not open. No vets have showed any interest in it.

There might have been another reason the woman put on the muzzle. Just as a safty precaution, I highly doubt it had anything to do with weather or not the dog has it shots. Even if it does has shots, if you dog got stressed out from being handled, she could bite and that hurts. Not saying that your dog would but again, some do muzzle only as a precaution. And she may have been afraid of your dog. This could happen at any vet, just depends on their preferences. I don't blame you for being upset at all. I would have asked many questions as to why they were doing this and why aren't they doing that.

Hope your baby gets better soon.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue May 15, 2007 1:18 am

Banfield (the Pet Hospital) is a seperate entity from PetSmart. Basically, PetSmart leases them the space in an effort to be able to provide people with what is PetSmart's goal "Total Lifetime Care" which would, of course, include vet care. Banfield is a chain, and as a chain, sometimes has some vets who aren't very good. (on the flip side, they also have some very good vets) Because they ARE a chain and the vet is different in each store, your experience can very widely. I LOVE the vet at my current store. Conversely, I wasn't impressed with the vet at my last store at all. Depends entirely on the vet. Not on PetSmart.

spikesblazin
Adolescent Bully

Postby spikesblazin » Tue May 15, 2007 7:15 am

yes i understand all of that now. like i said most of the time when we reference petsmart we talk about bansfield. but i know it is not owned by them.

there reason for putting the muzzle on is they didnt have the record on fil eof his rabies shots. we went to a different store that was in the area. so they put it on him. and she cut his nails so short he bleed. but we wont ever go back to that one cept to buy food or toys.

i'll keep you updated on the status of him in 2 weeks.

petsmart is a good place. sorry didnt mean to talk down on them.

i'll have questions for you. but i'll PM you.

Return to “Health Issues”