Performance Dog Supplements

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:50 pm

I used the Vertex with Tully for an extended time before going to the Invitational, to see if it would help her stamina. (for a while, she's had a tendency to tire out and slow down at the end of an agility weekend. Probably mostly because of lack of conditioning, but a little help didn't seem a bad thing.)

Anyway, about a month before going down there, I started adding it to her evening meal, and a week or 2 before going, I started adding it to her morning meal as well. I kept her on it twice a day through the competition, and once a day for a few days after. Also during the competition, I mixed some with water and gave it to her between runs. (I'd been using it that way for awhile. We call it her "juice")

She definitely maintained her stamina well at the Invitational, despite it being a huge show, which is a very stressful environment; and she spent some time both days at the "Meet the Breed" booth meeing people- also a fatiguing activity- as well as her agility runs.

I don't know if it was the Vertex or the conditioning we'd done, but I have her on Vertex again now, since we have a grueling schedule coming up through January.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:03 pm

I have been using Vertex with Vicki and Solomon for about three months now, and especially with Vicki (Solomon naturally has a lot of muscle tone), I have noticed an HUGE increase in endurance and tone!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:27 pm

Sadly, when I purchased my latest container of Vertex (about November, I think), the rep (I buy my dog food from him too) was trying to talk me into buying the biggest size, because it was a better deal. I said, "oh no, I don't use enough to make it worth it."

I should have bought the biggest size. lol

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:36 am

concreterose wrote:I have been using Vertex with Vicki and Solomon for about three months now, and especially with Vicki (Solomon naturally has a lot of muscle tone), I have noticed an HUGE increase in endurance and tone!

How do you feed it Mil? I do have some grind that I use to give the crew the various heart and joint supplements. Could I just add it to that?

It's not like I could sprinkle it over a chicken quarter or hunk of pork lol

also, about how much are you giving them?

I really want to try them but I hate buying stuff and then struggling to incorporate it into a raw diet.

Sassy Girl
Super Bully

Postby Sassy Girl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:10 pm

Couldn't you make a gravy out of it? That's what we do w/the dry kibble , I just sprinkle it over their food add water and mix it up.

also adding water is best as it allows the dog to absorb it quicker.

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:48 pm

FransterDoo wrote:
concreterose wrote:I have been using Vertex with Vicki and Solomon for about three months now, and especially with Vicki (Solomon naturally has a lot of muscle tone), I have noticed an HUGE increase in endurance and tone!

How do you feed it Mil? I do have some grind that I use to give the crew the various heart and joint supplements. Could I just add it to that?

I really want to try them but I hate buying stuff and then struggling to incorporate it into a raw diet.

You could give it to them with just water before and after a workout. The amount I give depends on how hard the workouts are. This time of year is slow and I let Maximus relax a bit so I don't use very much.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:53 pm

Sassy Girl wrote:Couldn't you make a gravy out of it? That's what we do w/the dry kibble , I just sprinkle it over their food add water and mix it up.

also adding water is best as it allows the dog to absorb it quicker.

do they like the taste? I could add it to the grind I use for supplementation. I'm already doing that before a competition - the stinky goodness of bison grind usually gets everyone to scarf up whatever else is in there too.

Franny has a slight heart condition so she gets heart supplements everyday and everyone gets joint junk before and during tournament weekends.

hmmm - that just might work.

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:57 pm

My dogs love it and I think Urs' dogs love it so much they will even eat it in powder form!!!!! :))

Sassy Girl
Super Bully

Postby Sassy Girl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:01 pm

very funny BRIAN!!!!!

It was Go Dog that did the deed! 8 hours of stopping every 1/2 hour to San Diego - damn Vandal!!!!

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:03 pm

That is hilarious. Poor dog was sick for days :frown:

Sassy Girl
Super Bully

Postby Sassy Girl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:04 pm

That's when the GO DOG went out to the trash can...no more!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:58 pm

FransterDoo wrote:do they like the taste? .

My dogs once stole the container off the counter and chewed the lid off to start eating it. Does that answer the question?

I originally purchased it to mix with water to encourage them to drink at competitions, and still use it for that as well as putting it in Tully's food, with warm water. If I didn't want to put it in the food, I'd just mix the Vertex with water and give that.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:59 pm

Sarah wrote:
FransterDoo wrote:do they like the taste? .

My dogs once stole the container off the counter and chewed the lid off to start eating it. Does that answer the question?

I originally purchased it to mix with water to encourage them to drink at competitions, and still use it for that as well as putting it in Tully's food, with warm water. If I didn't want to put it in the food, I'd just mix the Vertex with water and give that.

Thanks Sarah!

Urs - Franny once got into a swag bag from a tournament that had multiple samples of Go Dog and Kibble - we had poop and pee all over the house.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:36 pm

FransterDoo wrote:

I give it to them with their morning meal in their carrot mush or ground meat meal. Then if they work out when I get home, I give them another two teaspoons in a bit of water an hour before they work out. They will eat the powder with no water though...I have to put it up high in the cabinet because Solomon has opened up the pantry and knocked the jar out and tried to open it.

If they are really active, they get two teaspoons in the am, then two teaspoons an hour before they work out.

I took some to the trial with Vicki last month and gave her a couple teaspoons about an hour before her run.

Slow times (like now when they are just working out in the basement, about 40 minutes to an hour) they just get a couple teaspoons before they work out, none in the am.

In February, Vicki trials pretty much every weekend and has class during the week so I'll up hers again to twice a day.

MyBluePit
Newborn Bully

Postby MyBluePit » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:36 pm

Bumping this to ask
For a 1 yr 2 week old bully who is walked 3/4 times a week for 45min-1 hour? Would like increased stamina during the walk. Shelby doesn't eat much in the morning, normally she'll eat the 1 X-large egg I make her and stops feeding. Then we go for a walk around 9:30/10:00 am and walk for 45min to 1 hour and she's allowed to pull the entire time (walking harness). She normally does pull a good 75% of the time then starts to lose steam. She drinks plenty of water during the walk. Currently feeding Natures Variety New Zealand Venison & Millet Medley with Grizzly Salmon oil (she loves it). She's my companion dog we don't do any competition. I myself am trying to get into shape so I really can't walk her more then 3 days maybe squeeze in the fourth day if possible. We are feeding off each other energy for better health if you will.

Return to “Health Issues”