Blue Buffalo

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
someday
Bully Lover 4 Life

Blue Buffalo

Postby someday » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:49 am

I switched to Blue Buffalo from Nutro Natural Choice about 2 weeks ago. Since I've switched the dogs have had a lot of gas. Think it's just because it's a new food( i did mix for about a week) or is this a problem others have had with Blue Buffalo? If so, I can't handle this..hehe. I hope it doesn't continue, because the dogs really like the food, and I think it's a good upgrade. I've also noticed Bear has had a lot less poop, which is great, because he was a poop machine on the nutro.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:37 pm

mix a tablespoon of yogurt in with the food.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:08 pm

Agree with Dick.

Give it about a month or so--depending on how long the dogs were on the previous food. It does take time to work out the other food from their systems before they acheive their full potential on the new food.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:24 am

I switched to BB for a while because I worked for their company. Both my dogs got quite ill on it and had awful gas, even Chloe who has a stomache of steel was throwing up and had the chocolate (she has thrown up only 5 times in her entire life). I tried to wait it out, but my old man Ardy who is already immune comprimised started loosing weight and becoming dehydrated I stopped.

I spoke to some people who I had sold the product to and several reported the same type of thing. I quit working for them after that. :frown:

However my kitty (RIP) LOVED it. So it doen't prove anything.

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:07 am

Jack has been on blue buffalo and he has never been gassy (except like now when he has a stomach upset).

Give it some time. If it doesn'tgo away try a different food.

sara
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sara » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:18 pm

The figure I read in a book was 6 weeks - 6 weeks to adjust to a new food. I have the same problem! I switched Mattie to Blue Buffalo and her poop is super loose and she's gassy as hell! I'm hoping that it is the more natural ingredients and her body adjusting to them.
Your dog is crapping less because there is no corn! It builds bulk.
Until then - I just prepare when she's lying on the floor and I hear "pffffttt"

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:41 pm

I switched Em's and my cats over to BB about 12 weeks ago or so. Em's had horrid gas for a few weeks, but now she's fine. She only poops once a day, which is SO nice. The cats poop less too, and it stinks less. They all seem to love it. I even had to cut back feeding Emma to once a day instead of twice cause now she doesn't eat as much. She has a bowl in the evening (5-7pm) and even when I try to feed her in the AM and early afternoon she doesn't want it until evening. When she was on Iams she was super hungry all day long...so were the cats. They eat a whole lot less now too!

sara
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sara » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:54 pm

Good to know hope is in sight. I'm sure its hard for the bodies to adjust to the higher quality food.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:16 pm

I don't feed BB (I have a girl with food allergies, including an absolute intolerance of rice...egg and sweet potato are the other two that make finding foods harder). BUT, when going from donated food at the shelter (super-crap, for the most part, and never the same super-crap twice), Shamus had THE. WORST. GAS. He didn't have two firm poopies in a row for a while, either.

All of that lasted about a month and a half before we got back to "normal" levels of dog toots (for us, with two dogs, about two-three REALLY noticable stinkers a week at most - though I think the cats sneak some in and blame the dogs sometimes). So 6 weeks sounds reasonable to me, before deciding whether a food agrees well with a dog or not.

sara
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sara » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:30 pm

What?! Cats don't fart! Do they? Its pretty comical. She CAN NOT figure out where the sound or the smell is coming from. She even was once licking her leg, (near the booty) farted, smelled it, reared her head back with a disgusted look on her face, smelled again, and looked completely puzzled. She also whips her head around and looks behind her when she audibly farts. Its hilarious.
Ah, Blue Buffalo . . . providing comedy relief for the whole family!

neef
Newborn Bully

Postby neef » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:59 pm

Peanut has lots of gas too but he's on NV Beef.

Always been on this food since I got him.

Return to “Health Issues”