Recurring G.I. upsets.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Recurring G.I. upsets.

Postby egostang » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:08 pm

Well night before last Jack's stool was loose and he next day it was diarrhea, I gave him some banana and a piece of cheese. He loved it, I went out with my friend last night. My mom called to let me know that Jack still had the runs and was now restless in his crate. I came home, took him out, gave him some pumpkin and went to bed.

Today I wake up, well actually my mom woke up first (she has a room in my apartment, yes I "live" with my mom, she works out of town 8 months of the year). She wakesme up and says "Jack chocolate himself".

So I think...great. I get up. He had EXPLOSIVE diarrhea. AND he had thrown up the pumpkin. It was on the carpet, on the walls, on Jack. Ugh. So my mom helps me clean it up, she rinsed the crate out while I gave stinky ass a bath. He seemed happy to be out of the crate.

I took him to Banfield where they raped my wallet for a grand total of $110.00 and that's with a "discount" because Jack is on the wellness plan. (I REALLY need to find a cheaper vet and one that's probably more skilled anyways). They ran a fecal for parasites, that was negative. They ran the something-stain for bacteria overgrowth which the vet said was marginal. It wasn't normal but it wasn't a huge amount either, she said they weren't getting much of a sample from him though. They also ran the giardia test even though he is vaccinated. If it had come back positive they would have paid for his treatment, but it came back negative and really just cost me an extra $20.00.

So, he is on antibiotics for the 3rd time in the last 5 months. Is that normal for a growing puppy to have that stomach upset semi-frequently? This is the first time it has been as bad as it is, and the first time it's coupled with vomiting (which he only did with the pumpkin so far).

She said it could be he ate something and now has intestinal blockage. So we need to monitor him and see if he keeps food down. He'll be getting cooked chicken and rice spoiled brat! Other than all fo that his energy level is fine. His eyes are a little goopy but it's not odd colored goop.

:frown: Poor Jack, my poor wallet. :frown:

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:54 pm

The antibiotics may be wiping out his intestinal flora. Also, both my girls are sensitive to yogurt. Xanny can eat just about anything, but Soleil has a fairly delicate stomach, and I have to be very careful what I give her. I do give her probiotics, for the last month, and I thought we were out of the woods, but she had a mini pooplosion in the car yesterday (ewwww). Still, it was just half a day of loose stools, instead of a couple days.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:54 pm

What antibiotic? Have you tried Flagyl/metronidazole??
When our dogs get diarrhea the first thing we do is give them a day or two's worth of it.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:55 pm

Oh, and we keep kaopectate (from a feed store - the OLD formulation, not the human formulation that you can find in a drug store!) on hand for those situations.
Also boiled chicken and rice can be a miracle for diarrhea (fast for 24 hrs. first).

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:23 pm

msvette2u wrote:What antibiotic? Have you tried Flagyl/metronidazole??
When our dogs get diarrhea the first thing we do is give them a day or two's worth of it.

Yes. Metronidazole is what he has been on now for the 3rd time. It's been awhile since the last time though.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:47 am

I second the Kaopectate and chicken and rice, works wonders for the poopy pooch. Have you had a full blood panel done? If his white blood cell count is low, or he is anemic that could be a cause of the GI issues. Also, if you give too much of the same antibiotic your dog/the crappy bacteria will build up a resistance, and eventually it will not work as well.
I really hope it is not an intestinal blockage, icky.
Good Luck!

God, I wish when I went to the vet I felt that my wallet was getting raped for only $110. I haven't spent less than $300 at the vet in a while. And once we paid $400 for shots and a health certificate to take 2 dogs to Mexico, and we never even saw the vet, the tech did everything! :po: Never going there again.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:51 pm

is Jack any better today?

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:56 pm

Thanks for asking PB! That means a lot to me!

Jack is doing better! Accept he just fell off the bean bag chair on the back side. lol Poor clutz!

He is eating chicken and rice. He has not vomited at all. He hasn't pooped either yet, but I am taking this as a good sign. They said they had a hard time getting a sample because he was so empty, so hopefully we'll have a solid or semi-solid poo tomorrow. :thumbsup:

amazingcc
Adolescent Bully

Postby amazingcc » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:41 am

egostang wrote: ...so hopefully we'll have a solid or semi-solid poo tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Aaahhh, the things we learn to "cherish" and look forward to... lol
Hope Jack is doing much better!

Return to “Health Issues”