Peeing in the house

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MypitbullMaya

Peeing in the house

Postby MypitbullMaya » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:11 pm

I don't know if this is where I should put this post feel free to move it to the correct spot!

So Maya is housetrained and has not had an accident since I got her a little over a month ago. She just started peeing on the carpet this weekend. It is ususally after we have just gone outside to go potty. Anyone have any tips or is this just normal for puppies?

Thanks!

Shay

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:03 am

How old is she?

It can take several months before they are fully housetrained. She may also still be adjusting. Maybe try taking her on a longer walk to make sure she fully empties her bladder as well. Also make sure it's not a health issue like a UTI.

MypitbullMaya

Postby MypitbullMaya » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:43 am

She is 7months old now. How do you verify if she has a UTI?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:35 am

take a urine sample and her to the vet, they will test it for a UTI..most pups are not fully housebroken until a year old.. some dogs get brain farts at 7 months old and regress with housebreaking or other things they know..

leopardjunkie
Adolescent Bully

Postby leopardjunkie » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:00 pm

Moxy does this about 1 every month or so...She is almost a year old. We finally had enough cleaning and took her in for a pee test and she had Oxolate crystals in her urine and they treated with antibiotics. So now we test her urine when she pees in the house to see if we need to treat her illness or correct her behavior!

If you have not had to collect urine before here is the helpful tip that was passed onto me. Not sure how it works for the males...

When you take her out bring along a shallow lid that will hold a fair amount of urine...Not so wide or high that you will distrub her, but not so shallow that you spill it on your self when you pick it up!

When she squats to pee slide the lid/dish under the urine stream on the ground and remove when full or when she is done. Dump into a travel container and lid "tightly".

You want to have the freshest pee possible when you go. If you can't get it right before you leave, you can refridgerate for about 2 hours i think!

Good luck

indianas_mom
Matured Bully

Postby indianas_mom » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:00 am

some dogs get brain farts at 7 months old and regress with housebreaking or other things they know..

Very true ! It's a tough age. I have a 7 month old foster who was housetrained but seems to have forgotten it all. I have to keep her in the same room as me with a baby gate.

And it's not a UTI...she'll poop in the house too.

My friend suggested keeping her on leash in the house and going outside often. And giving her a treat everytime she goes outside. I've just been praising her but I guess treats would be better.

MypitbullMaya

Postby MypitbullMaya » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks everyone for your great advise. I will try all of the above. I would like to rule out a UTI so I will probably get a sample and take her into the vet today. But I will also keep her on a leash in the house and maybe try going out more often to let her go potty.

We also just started our private lessons on training and we have been working with her daily so maybe that has something to do with it also. Speaking of which she has learned the sit command and the heal command and she is doing soooo good!

Shay

MypitbullMaya

Postby MypitbullMaya » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:40 pm

I forgot I was going to ask about this earlier. Maya was on antibiotics for 2 rounds so 20 days (for Pneumonia) and has been off of them for 5 days I was wondering dogs are like humans in the fact that when we are on antobiotics for a long amount of time we tend to get yeast infections do dogs? The reason I ask is because I noticed she had some white stuff coming out of where she pee's. I wiped it with a paper towel but can't decide what it is for sure. We have an appt at the vet tomorrow but I just thought I would ask here first.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I am sorry I ask so many questions!

Shay

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:19 pm

Never be sorry for asking questions! People who care deeply about their own pets LOVE to meet (and when they can, HELP) other pet owners who care well for their furry ones.

If it is behavioral, rather than a physical problem, leashing her to you should help greatly. Also, make sure you're accompanying her outside every time, so you A) know when she is/isn't going, and B) can praise her like she just invented sliced bread every time she goes. As she squats and begins peeing, tell her, "GOOD GIRL goes pee-pee" or "pee-potty," or whatever your pee word for her is. I praised my girl (who I got unhousebroken at 10 months old - shelter dog) from the moment she squatted to pee until she was done, and the same thing for poopies (only we say POTTY for pee, and POOPY-POTTY for poos).

The nice side effect besides helping strengthen their no-house-potty skills, is that my two dogs are mostly trained to potty on voice command now. Nice to be able to ask them to go at the beginning of a walk and not have to stop what we're doing for a break later on. Also, we have a boat...nice to be able to make sure they go if they have to when we take them to the shore, because it might be a couple of hours before they get another chance.

Good luck! And you're doing the right thing by checking for any physical problems first. :thumbsup:

MypitbullMaya

Postby MypitbullMaya » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:16 am

Thanks Meginok for your advice. I do think that it is behavioral, Maya hadn't done it all day today and then this evening I was talking with my friend and telling her that when she takes Maya outside to praise her like crazy from when she starts to when she finishes and Maya looked at me and squatted and pee'd so I told her no no Maya and took her outside to finish. She did I cleaned it up and then about 45 minutes later she was standing next to me and I turned around and she pooped. Soooo I am back to square one with taking her out every few minutes. Its very frustrating but it will get better I hope!!

Shay

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:07 am

I don't think you have to bring in a urine sample for a test, the vet can use a syringe to get urine...very quick and easy. The needle is inserted in the side, right through the bladder wall.

Duke has accidents every once in a while, but I think it's my fault for not paying attention.

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:10 am

she could have an UTI or a yeast infection. If so, instead of antibiotics I would try the acidopholis route first, espically since she was just on antibiotics a while ago.

MypitbullMaya

Postby MypitbullMaya » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:29 pm

We seem to be ok no UTI or yeast infection.....so just working on retraining I guess. Good Times

:thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”