When to Start Treadmill Work?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
JaquelineC

When to Start Treadmill Work?

Postby JaquelineC » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:00 am

I plan to start showing Luna ADBA next year, and her breeder recommended that I get some more muscle tone on her by that time. I just got a Grand Mills treadmill, and Deegan LOVES it - But I'm not sure when it would be ok to start running Luna on it...

One person I've asked said that it would be fine to let her get started on it now (9 months old), because since she's just starting out, she wouldn't go hard, fast, or long enough to hurt herself anyways...

But I've heard some people say not to even take your dog jogging with you until they're two years old...

So, what's up experts? When can I let Luna loose on the mill and start getting her ready for her show ring debut?

Thanks all!

:peace:

JaquelineC

Postby JaquelineC » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:36 am

BUMP!

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:43 am

Hey Jaq,
I didn't start taking Sash on long trail rides till she was a year. She would go once a week on the short ones and we made sure we didn't do any cantering. We would go out for about an hour, she would get some running in, chasing this and that, but mostly walk, trot. When she hit a year she would go on the all day rides on Sundays, plus the short rides during the week. By the time they are a year their up growth is pretty much done, damage to growth plates is less likely to happen. If there's structural instability, waiting is a better idea.

JaquelineC

Postby JaquelineC » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:50 am

Thanks Barbponys... :)

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:10 am

You're welcome Jaq :)

Fish

Postby Fish » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:26 pm

When you do start putting her on the tred mill, take some pics for us, I have always loved the way Luna looks. :inlove:

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:50 pm

IMO before a year is to young. But, with moderation it wouldn't necesarily be a problem. Grand carpet mills have a good bit of resistence from what I am told so you literally need to start her off with just a couple of minutes at a time if you do this. slow slow slow.

JaquelineC

Postby JaquelineC » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:28 am

Fish - I'll do my best to drag someone out with a camera to take pics of her sexy new look once she's conditioned for the ring... :)

Thanks Moto... ;)

Return to “Health Issues”