Already Sunburned... now what?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Already Sunburned... now what?

Postby SadiesHuman » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Kay, I took Sadie swimming today and forgot the sunscreen.... long story short - we're both rather pink.

I did a thorough search on what to use now.. and there seems to be some debating on aloe vera (the green stuff) on dogs. If I can't use that on her, is there anything else I can use? She seems to be rather uncomfortable and is pacing through the house. I've given her a cool bath already, but is there anything else I can do for her? Thanks.

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:03 pm

Maybe a vinegar water mixture? I know it works well on humans. It stinks but the help it provides is SO worth it!

SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SadiesHuman » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:42 pm

thanks alicia!

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:54 pm

Real Aloe Vera Gel is very safe to use on dogs, but it has to be the natural stuff, not cosmetic.

This is the product I use: http://www.lilyofthedesert.com/

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:20 am

I sort of feel like the bad guy here, lol, but ANY aloe vera is actually classified as being toxic.

If folks still want to use it - I wouldn't judge them badly for it ... but they at least should know that technically it IS considered toxic for animals if they consume it - natural or not, organic or not.

They might not immediately flop over dead because of it, but there is a risk to some degree that it might cause health issues ... *because* it is a toxin.

Again ... every one will make their own choices ... and many folks will view the risks of using alow vera as being the same as if they feed their dogs a bunch of dairy products or if they choose to feed their dog ol' roy ... some folks will feel it's beneficial ... and others might just choose to not use it for their animals.

SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SadiesHuman » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:52 am

Alyssa, thats why I wanted to post this. I saw some of the debate over aloe being toxic and I don't want to take the chance with that so I was looking for other alternatives. :-)

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:26 pm

Yeah I'm sort of wondering what to do as well! I mean right now, Toby isn't outside a lot yet ... but he will be, and being a blue fawn and a lot of white on him I'm a bit worried as well.

I'm not even sure human sunscreen is a good thing since I know a lot of stuff that shouldn't be taken internally gets out in that stuff.

Is there such a thing as doggie sunscreen? I should go goggling on that I suppose, lol.

SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SadiesHuman » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:06 pm

from what I've heard there is doggy sunscreen. It's almost like the child one that turns the skin/fur a different color so you know where you've put it on and where you've missed. Not sure what the name of it is though - I should probably also do a google search. :-P

shannypits
Newborn Bully

Postby shannypits » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:52 am

I know this is not going to be an option for many because of the nature of extraction... but Emu Oil is awesome--- it is absolutely non toxic if your dog licks it-- and she will try, because dogs love it. Emu oil naturally soothes the skin. It is highly penetrating and will even remove or erase scars and help with healing of all kinds. If the burn was really bad I would advise you to call the vet for a prescription of Thermazene (silver sulfadiazine 1%) cream to prevent infection. Vinegar is also good but be careful and dilute white distilled vinegar so cut the burn and the smell-- remember, if it hurts our nose and eyes just imagine how your pup will like it. Epsom salts are also soothing but be careful!! If your dog drinks any expect diarrhea-- it is a natural laxative lol Giving Rymadyl or asprin (make sure to calculate your dogs weight very very carefully) can also help alleviate pain. Also remember that you can also use Olive Oil. It is not quite as effective as Emu Oil but in its raw form (BEST BEST if first cold pressed) has the same acidity as the dog's skin, that way it works as a soother and helps the body heal. Vitamin E is also okay to use. I would use it mixed with Olive oil. If it was my dog I would have the Emu first, with Rymadyl and then Olive oil with Vit. E. if Emu wasn't avail. Either are good choices. Remember that a burn on a dog is like a burn on you, do not apply lotion! Lotions lock in the heat and prevent comfort and proper healing. Oils are best, and if you see ANY blistering or infection of any kind go for the silver sulfadiazine!!! From what I've read, I know your situation right now isn't that bad, but in the future it is always best to be prepared. I use zinc oxide as sunblock on my pups and haven't heard anything about it being toxic. My vet hasn't said anything... but as a pharmacist I sometimes help him with the drogas lol Good Luck!! And don't worry too much dogs are resilient and she'll be just fine. :thumbsup:

shannypits
Newborn Bully

Postby shannypits » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:55 am

Sorry to double post but I forgot that Emu oil is v. hard to find. Make sure it is fully refined if you choose to use it-- one of the best suppliers is Country Devine pm me if you want more info--I don't give it out online because some PETA types will harass them and they don't need that. :peace:

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:09 am

Alyssa wrote:I sort of feel like the bad guy here, lol, but ANY aloe vera is actually classified as being toxic.

If folks still want to use it - I wouldn't judge them badly for it ... but they at least should know that technically it IS considered toxic for animals if they consume it - natural or not, organic or not.

They might not immediately flop over dead because of it, but there is a risk to some degree that it might cause health issues ... *because* it is a toxin.

Again ... every one will make their own choices ... and many folks will view the risks of using alow vera as being the same as if they feed their dogs a bunch of dairy products or if they choose to feed their dog ol' roy ... some folks will feel it's beneficial ... and others might just choose to not use it for their animals.

Maybe I missed it, but do you have a link or two to this information?

Thanks!

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:07 am

Yup! I sure do! I posted them in this thread:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=68132

Hope that helps!

Return to “Health Issues”