Need some suggestions please

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Fixedgearjerk
Adolescent Bully

Need some suggestions please

Postby Fixedgearjerk » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:09 pm

So i've been feeding 9 month old 55lbs Ava Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato and I'm not really happy with it. She has loose stool and it makes her gas smell like exhaust from a fish market ha ha Was just at the store with all intentions of switching to Natures Variety Salmon and Brown Rice but spotted Solid Gold- Barking At the Moon. So I can't decide in the store and buy a 16lbs bag of each with intentions to return the unchosen. I can't believe the Solid Gold has 41% max. protien! Thats like double any other food I saw. Between the Solid Gold and Natures Variety what would you guys prefer? I've done crazy amounts of reading and am looking for more testimonial! Thanks :thumbsup:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:13 pm

Does your pup/dog have allergies?
California Natural has a good fish and potato version.
BUT my allergy dog seems to be reacting slightly to something in it, the other dog does great (the pitty Scooter) on all the California Naturals.

sara
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sara » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:19 pm

I know you are looking for testimonials - but I have a bit of advice instead. SHe may have those problems from switching to the AVA food. How long has she been on it. I read it takes UP TO 6 WEEKS to adjust! My dog had the same problem for about a month after switching to Blue Buffalo, but is fine now. Thank goodness for that- the gas nearly killed us!

Fixedgearjerk
Adolescent Bully

Postby Fixedgearjerk » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:21 pm

She does have allergy's but I don't know them specificlly because she hasn't been tested. Thats why I had her on the Wellnes fish and potato. Also was one of my concerns with the Solid Gold, it has a lot of ingrediants. thanks for the response!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:23 pm

sara wrote:I know you are looking for testimonials - but I have a bit of advice instead. SHe may have those problems from switching to the AVA food. How long has she been on it. I read it takes UP TO 6 WEEKS to adjust! My dog had the same problem for about a month after switching to Blue Buffalo, but is fine now. Thank goodness for that- the gas nearly killed us!

That is true..it does take awhile to adjust for some dogs!

Fixedgearjerk
Adolescent Bully

Postby Fixedgearjerk » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:23 pm

roflmao Ava is her name , sorry if that was confusing. I put her on Wellness about 3 months ago.

sara
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sara » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:45 pm

Oops -- ha! As i was typing I couldn't remember the name of the food. I just typed AVA because I'm too lazy to read back again. Sorry. Cute name.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:26 pm

I know you are looking for testimonials - but I have a bit of advice instead. SHe may have those problems from switching to the AVA food. How long has she been on it. I read it takes UP TO 6 WEEKS to adjust! My dog had the same problem for about a month after switching to Blue Buffalo, but is fine now. Thank goodness for that- the gas nearly killed us!

Wellness is pretty notorious for giving some dogs perpetually loose stool. Seems to work great for some and not so much for others.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:31 pm

I can't give testimonials on either of the foods you mentioned.

I feed my allergy dog Natural Balance duck and potato (it's allergy formula) dry and fish and potato wet.

As far as wellness. My cats really liked it, but some of them had stomach issues on it. Which I know doesn't help much lol

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:08 pm

I think, personally, unless you are out running hard every single day and still workin hard, then Barking at the Moon is too high protein. It's made for working dogs, similar to EVO. Snoopy's not a high-energy dog, so I havent used either food but I hear really good things about NV kibble. I've used their pre-made raw and was really pleased. If you are interested in foods like the SG BATM & NV & such, you might want to check into Timberwolf Organics. There's a site that you can order from that is more customer-friendly and has better reliability, but I dont know what it is off hand. Do a search for TW customer service and you should find it. :thumbsup:

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:44 pm

nature's variety has a grain-free, high protein variety as well, if you're interested. it's called raw instinct. you can get a coupon for a small bag buy one get one free of any of their foods here: http://naturesvariety.com/iloveit/

i'm a big fan of theirs right now. i switched my cats to their food recently and they're doing very well on it.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:23 pm

you can also do california natural fish and sweet potato.. i had my gsd on that her poops were really good..

Return to “Health Issues”