feeding raw?!?!?!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
snatch1
Newborn Bully

feeding raw?!?!?!

Postby snatch1 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:43 pm

ok guys i think i have read every article there is about this topic and still dont know exactly what to do, can anyone feeding this way give me your recipe or advice, and what about the bones??? i thought they were bad to eat for them? he is 10-11 weeks and not taking well to his puppy chow, please guys anyhting would behelpfull.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:01 pm

If you haven't fed raw before DO NOT FEED RAW TO PUPPIES!!!!

Its far too easy to make mistakes, and there isn't enough time to correct them. If you want to try a raw pre-mix, that might be alright, but make sure the calcium and phosphorus ratios are appropriate for puppies.

How old is your puppy and what food are you feeding? When do you feed, how long is food available and how much do you give him?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:30 pm

I sent you a PM with some information.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:52 am

I PM'ed you as well.

Marie

snatch1
Newborn Bully

Postby snatch1 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:46 pm

ok guys as far as his feeding times i pretty much let him eat when he goes to the bowl, is thatwrong??? i think it is i am gonna start doinga morning and night/afternoon feed, and he doesnt like his puppy chow but today at my moms he ate a cup of beneful like it was the best stuff on earth! i think i am ganna start a raw mix with his puppy chow to give him the best of both worlds>???????

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:21 pm

It sounds like you need to do a lot more research before beginning.

Purchase a few books, like Pitcairn's, Billinghurst's, and "Raw Dog Food" by Carina MacDonald. They often have meal plans in them and it's nice to always have them on hand.
Most raw feeders do not recommend mixing kibble with raw.

I found this site to be helpful: http://www.njboxers.com/

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:38 pm

snatch1 wrote:ok guys as far as his feeding times i pretty much let him eat when he goes to the bowl, is thatwrong??? i think it is i am gonna start doinga morning and night/afternoon feed, and he doesnt like his puppy chow but today at my moms he ate a cup of beneful like it was the best stuff on earth! i think i am ganna start a raw mix with his puppy chow to give him the best of both worlds>???????

Did you not read the links I sent you? They answer ALL the questions you are asking here!

snatch1
Newborn Bully

Postby snatch1 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:20 pm

sorry guys my pm's weredown and i didnt see your post's i got it all now....thanks!!

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:07 pm

Allie wrote:
I found this site to be helpful: http://www.njboxers.com/

I really really like that site, especially the top 50 questions...

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:08 pm

Opps. Forgot to say Thank you for posting that link - LOL

snatch1
Newborn Bully

Postby snatch1 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:34 am

once again thanks for thehelp/advice guys and girls!!!! :thumbsup: :bowdown:

ThompsonZ
Newborn Bully

Postby ThompsonZ » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:06 pm

well i might aswell carry this thread on but other than http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm is there any other websites/links i could turn to for Raw as i am also thinking about switching my dog to it aswell now that he has gotten older, i have slowly been giving him raw bones etc and he loves it

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:35 pm

Something else that I have found to be very helpful is Monica Segals newsletters. I also bought one of her books recently, and its been very helpful in helping me understand the hows and whys of home-cooking. I won't feed raw to my own pups (too expensive and diffictult to do here in the boonies) but the information is impeccable and easy to understand.

http://www.monicasegal.com/account/subscribe.php

Also, please keep in mind that unlike adult dogs, puppies absorb ALL calcium until they are 6 months of age. It is essential that you balance your meals appropriately as high calcium and fast growth are the leading causes of structural abnormalities in large breed dogs. Just because your dog isn't a great dane doesn't mean he's not at risk if you do something wrong in the early stages of development!

Return to “Health Issues”