My 1st attempt on Raw? tips pls

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ThompsonZ
Newborn Bully

My 1st attempt on Raw? tips pls

Postby ThompsonZ » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:38 pm

OK well i decided to move onto a raw diet for my dog fully. I have slowly fed him raw meat etc as treats then moved on as a meal usually raw boneless chicken breast and thats it as a lunch time treat on a weekend day. But i done a bit more reading and decided to feed my dog a veggie meal as i read u have to split them up in a meat meal and a veggie meal

"Why do I need to separate certain food items, like RMBs, veggies and grains, and why can't I feed them together?

In Pat Lazarus book, "Keep Your Dog Healthy the Natural Way," under the topic of food combining he states:

"How you combine food groups can be crucial to your dog's health. Why? The digestive organs secret enzymes to break down food so it can be properly used by the body. When carbohydrates and proteins are eaten at the same time, the protein enzymes go to work first, and the digestion of carbohydrates must wait. While the carbohydrates are waiting around to be digested, they ferment and release toxins in the body.

Proper food combining might more aptly be called not combining foods: Give only meat (or other heavy proteins such as eggs or milk) at one meal; give carbohydrates (fruit & grains) for the other meal. Vegetables, though may be given with either grains or heavy proteins."

He goes on to mention this can also help in preventing pancreatitus.

Also, grains and meats should not be fed together but veggies can be feed with either, with no loss of nutrients. Fruits, except apples, should be feed alone and at least twenty minutes before or after anything else. "

Taken from http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm#salmon

So i fed my dog lettuce,garlic,carrots,green pepper, raw egg and blended it together and mixed it with a can of tuna to see how my dog would like it (as a treat) it ended up like this

(WARNING BELOW MIGHT MAKE U FEEL SICK LOL)

when i fed it too him ive never seen him eat food like that in a while. He loved it! but i just wanted to confirm that i am doing it right, and i aint poisoning my dog

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:05 pm

some people agree on feeding veggies and grain, and some dont. i dont feed veggies or grain, i feed strictly meat, organ meat, bones, carcasses, and add kelp, salmon oil, and other stuff.. it depends on the person and dog as to feedng veggies or grain.

this bowl i have chicken thighs, ground beef, chicken hearts,beef heart, salmon oil, kelp, bee pollen, and www.thehonestkitchen.com all mixed together:

this one is mostly Honest kitchen(my gsd has pancreatic deficiency so her food must be ground up), chicken pieces, chicken heart, salmon oil, kelp

and this one has chicken thighs w/ bones too, honest kitchen, beef heart, chicken heart and ground beef, salmon oil, kelp

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:08 pm

mine also get sardines, mackarel as well, and i also feed them the BRavo raw diet too, and natures variety raw medallions as well.. i usually put some of each in their bowl and rotate the nights on what they get. plus whole eggs with the shell mashed up

ThompsonZ
Newborn Bully

Postby ThompsonZ » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:32 pm

aahhh thxs alot. Your pictures have inspired me lol.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:46 pm

you also have to make sure you dont give too many bones, as that will constipate the dog. too little means not enough calcium. i give chicken thighs 3 nights a week with other non boned meat, then the other nights they get just non boned meat but i also add mackarel and sardines..
there is also a website that shows exactly how to start raw.. i think its njboxer rescue but am not sure. its in one of the posts somewhere on here..

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:47 pm

ThompsonZ
Newborn Bully

Postby ThompsonZ » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:59 pm

ok thanks alot :D yh ive been reading njboxers and ive found it very helpful now i just need to find a decent supplier for meats and stuff :D

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:36 pm

if you can find a co op near you try that. check yahoogroups.com for those.. but you have to buy in bulk, like 100 lbs or more.. but its more cost effective.. i went to a poultry farm for my 40lbs of chicken thighs, but it wasnt cost effective as i thought, a co op is much better..

Return to “Health Issues”