ahhh.....Oreo has ringworm

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

ahhh.....Oreo has ringworm

Postby bassol808 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:03 pm

I noticed a little raised abrasion on his leg a few days ago so I brought him to the vet today and found out it was ringworm....they gave me a topical solution to put on it twice a day....

so this was the conversation later...

vet: do you have any cats at home?
me: yes, I have one
vet: ooo...well...thats most likely where he got it from
me: oh...
vet: see, with ringworms theres 2 ways that dogs usually get it...one if from the dirt..and the others from cats...however, the cats are the most common way for dogs to get it
vet: did you notice anything on the cat?
me: well..I did notice that he had a few bald spots but I figured it was just from him fighting with the other cats in the neighborhood
vet: no..thats probably the ringworm...see, it looks a lot different in cats
vet: it would be good to bring the cat in too later then we can take a look at him to be sure
me: yeah, I think I will

so I got an appt for Sushi (the cat) this afternoon...just hopefully that dayum cat will be home when he needs to be....

I told my hubby about the vet visit today and he said "well...looks like we need to get rid of the cat then"

I LOVE Oreo and Sushi both....I would hate to have to get rid of either one of them but I think it might be the best thing to do...but my poor little kitty....I cant get rid of him....

well...hopefully Sushi will be home on time and I can bring him in to get him treated....I just hope he wont get it later again...

I know that the best thing would be to get rid of the cat but...thats going to be sooo hard....I love my Sushi too.....and not to mention, he was my FIRST baby before Oreo.....but if I have to then I have to right.... :frown:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:18 pm

tell DH that is no reason to get rid of your cat :twisted: (but cats that go out usually don;t live a long life suualy anyway, plus it is illegal to let them roam)
you can also put jock itchcmeds on the spots in the future to save you some vet bills
I used' Fungistan/ (over the counter med) to get rid of ring worm on cats in the past.

Slave to the Dogs
Matured Bully

Postby Slave to the Dogs » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:38 pm

????

Get rid of the cat because he brought home Ringworm???

Treat the cat, keep it in the house, viola...no more ringworm

Glad the puppers is ok...

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:33 pm

I have an indoor cat that has no skin problems and lives a perfectly content life on the back of my couch, with no adverse effects on the dogs... I don't see why you would need to dump your cat for bringing home ringworm, it's not the poor kitty's fault... just tell DH it won't be a problem if you keep the cat inside... .

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:07 am

You can save yourself some money at the vet...our cat gets ringworm every once in a while...order some Malaseb shampoo from www.petmeds.com or you can try spot treatment (not always the most effective) with some good old Tinactin (athlete's foot cream)...I think the shampoo is the most effective...you wash them twice a week, let the lather sit on them for about 15 mins and rinse. It makes my kitty's fur really soft too.

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:47 am

see thats why all my cats are indoor only. I hope you dont have to get rid of sushi (love the name). i hope the doggy gets well soon too

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:46 pm

Slave to the Dogs wrote:????

Get rid of the cat because he brought home Ringworm???

Treat the cat, keep it in the house, viola...no more ringworm

Glad the puppers is ok...

Dump the cat ? Because you wont (not cant) keep it indoors?

Sad excuse in my opinion.

Keep kitty in, roaming cats are a nuisance...fighting, spraying, eating birds, etc.. believe me they are annoying to those around you.

My cats are all indoors unless outside , the one cat with the dogs for a bit, then I bring her butt indoors.
I dont need the neighbors mad, or the diseases, injuries, etc that they get into.

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:27 pm

oh my gosh, don't "get rid of" the cat! that is so sad. i am sure he did not mean to bring ringworm home. i would just turn him into an indoor only cat, it may take him awhile to adjust and you will have to watch he does not sneak out the door. our 4 cats never go outside, i am sure they wouldn't make it a day in this neighborhood. they are really happy in the house, they have lots of things to play with and hide in and a couple of litterboxes so they can choose which to use.

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:03 pm

Ugh, ringworm can be treated. No excuse to dump an animal.

http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:49 pm

Just wanted to point out that indoor-only cats can get ringworm too. My kitty NEVER goes outside, and he will get little ringworm spots every few months. Keeping them indoors doesn't completely eliminate your chances. Don't get me wrong though, I am ALL for keeping kitties indoors.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:15 pm

The spores stay alive for a long time.
But please don't get rid of your cat because of ringworm.

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Re: ahhh.....Oreo has ringworm

Postby LindsaySF » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:22 pm

bassol808 wrote:I know that the best thing would be to get rid of the cat

Uhh, no. The best thing to do would be to keep your cat when you can see him (indoors preferably). And to bring him to the vet in a timely manner for 'bald spots' instead of just assuming they were from fighting injuries.

And ringworm is caused by a fungus, and the spores are found in soil. I don't know what your vet is talking about, but there is no reason to blame the poor cat. YOU could have even trekked spores into your house.

~Lindsay~

REACTiON
Adolescent Bully

Postby REACTiON » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:37 am

my boy raven had ringwon... went to the vet and got a bottle of maleseb for $8.00... showered him three times a week for 2 weeks and all gone. his coat is starting to grow back. vet said its good to use that once in a while since it does disinfect.

bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bassol808 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:15 pm

I havent been able to bring Sushi to the vet to get treated but I have decided to keep him....I was going to keep him anyways cause I cant give up my FIRST son....or Oreo....Id like to keep him in the house but Im not home enough but Im looking into buying him some things I saw in a pet catalog...bed, kitty house..etc....

I told my hubby that I love Sushi too much to get rid of him....that cat is such a cutie...not only that but when hes outside he likes to think hes the king of the road...he will sit his ass right in the center of the road and not even move when the cars come...luckily, all our neighbors are elderly so THEY will move around Sushi lol

whenever someone comes over its his job to sniff the car...then sit on the hood...he does that to everyone....

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:10 am

bassol808 wrote:Id like to keep him in the house but Im not home enough

What does being home have to do with you keeping the cat outside? Cats are pretty low maintenance...give them a box to poop in, some food and water dishes, and a pillow for them to sleep on all day...cats don't need supervision...

not only that but when hes outside he likes to think hes the king of the road...he will sit his ass right in the center of the road and not even move when the cars come...luckily, all our neighbors are elderly so THEY will move around Sushi lol

I've had quite a few cats get hit by cars, and it's not pretty. What makes you think that some teenager who's paying more attention to is CD player isn't going to run right over Sushi while he's looking so cute in the middle of the road? And also, some outdoor cats can be quite the nuisance to neighbors...getting into trash, urinating and defacating in landscaping...Is Sushi fixed? If not, he's probably also contributing to the local feral cat population. I don't mean to nag, but life outside for a cat isn't all that great. Please, for Sushi, keep him safe indoors. It might take some effort to keep him from scurrying out the door, but after a while he'll forget about wanting to go outside. All my cats did. And the kitty I have now couldn't be happier sleeping on my pillow all day. He doesn't even care about the outside world.

Return to “Health Issues”