Tyson has a huge tick!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:53 am

That kind of tick does NOT carry Lyme disease. They are really pretty harmless. It's a wood tick, not a deer tick.

My dog gets them all the time because I refuse to put poison on him. You pull them off, flush them down the toilet and it's no problem. And Beckerhead is right, that's not a very big one. Hopefully the vet didn't charge you for getting it off.

shaff_515

Postby shaff_515 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:18 am

buckaroo wrote:That kind of tick does NOT carry Lyme disease. They are really pretty harmless. It's a wood tick, not a deer tick.

My dog gets them all the time because I refuse to put poison on him. You pull them off, flush them down the toilet and it's no problem. And Beckerhead is right, that's not a very big one. Hopefully the vet didn't charge you for getting it off.

No, one of the vet techs that were clipping his nails just pulled it off and no charge... If it is a wood tick, does that mean that they live in wood? I have been wondering where he got it since I haven't seen any other ticks around here and we just tore apart our old deck and put in a new one, maybe it was living in the wood?

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:42 pm

it seems like ticks are everywhere now. i live in town- no woods, no fields, nothing nearby- and i've picked multiple ticks off my dogs lately. i finally broke down and put frontline on them after i found a tick on my bathroom floor and a tick on mushroom's belly on the same day. neither was a deer tick, but still. they're GROSS!

i just use my fingers and pull them off.

rschrad7926
Matured Bully

Postby rschrad7926 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:10 pm

Probablya stupid question but here it goes...

My little terrier Lilu recently had an awful bout with lyme disease (we adopted her at 1 1/2 years old and she wasn't vaccinated against it), VERY scary, she could not move without shrieking for three weeks, and didn't eat a full meal for a month!! Not to mention the awful reaction she had to the doxycyclin. I actually thought she was done for.

This morning I found an enormous tick on her belly. Purple an red all around it. Now it wasn't a deer tick for sure, but I am getting a little nervous....Is it possible that this is going to throw her into another lyme episode???

If anyone needs a pic I have one I can post....but it is not for the squeemish so I will hold off unless it's necessary

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:25 pm

Ticks still send me over the edge! Way more than worms...even more than puppies puking up worms :yucky: They are perhaps only slightly less gross than maggots.

My old bullie had them ONCE when he was 13 years old. I didn't even notice as I'd never had them on any of my dogs EVER. Never even seen a tick before in this area. We had however just returned from a weekend away on a "deer infested" island.

I'm petting him and then it hit me - "Oh, GROSS, what the fu(*&(*& is that in his fur????" He had tons of them on him and I totally came unglued. I called the vet in a total panic.

Wanna see a really experienced dog person totally lose it?!?!?!? lol Yup, ticks and me don't mix....so I totally feel your pain!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:10 am

rschrad7926 wrote:Probablya stupid question but here it goes...

My little terrier Lilu recently had an awful bout with lyme disease (we adopted her at 1 1/2 years old and she wasn't vaccinated against it), VERY scary, she could not move without shrieking for three weeks, and didn't eat a full meal for a month!! Not to mention the awful reaction she had to the doxycyclin. I actually thought she was done for.

This morning I found an enormous tick on her belly. Purple an red all around it. Now it wasn't a deer tick for sure, but I am getting a little nervous....Is it possible that this is going to throw her into another lyme episode???

If anyone needs a pic I have one I can post....but it is not for the squeemish so I will hold off unless it's necessary

if it wasn't a deer tick, then Lilu should be fine re: lymes
and ftr one of my dogs has had three bouts of lymes, she is the only dog here that DID GET lymes vaccines (and her bouts were as severe as Lilu's)
But, you do have to worry about ghiarrdia from the other tricks too :sad:

docdeath
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby docdeath » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:34 am

luvnstuff wrote:
shaff_515 wrote:So we just got back from the vet and the tick (That sucker was huge!)came out without much trouble and

:bully: I HATE TICS.

lately we have had them up here .. and I seem to be a tick magnet.

uuuu why did I read this.. now I will have nightmares.

tics..the one time I act like a GIRL..

glad it all came out fine.. no pun intended..no every pun intended.

ugh..

where in Michigan?

rschrad7926
Matured Bully

Postby rschrad7926 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:29 pm

pblove wrote:
rschrad7926 wrote:Probablya stupid question but here it goes...

if it wasn't a deer tick, then Lilu should be fine re: lymes
and ftr one of my dogs has had three bouts of lymes, she is the only dog here that DID GET lymes vaccines (and her bouts were as severe as Lilu's)
But, you do have to worry about ghiarrdia from the other tricks too :sad:

Thanks for the clarification pblove...Yeah it was very scary, when we went to the e-vets I was actually relieved that they thought it was lyme because it is treatable, then the test came back negative. Come to find out, the test is super unreliable so they treated it as lyme. I was actually unable to remove the head of the tick and it is still lodged in there :oops: any advice?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:49 pm

docdeath wrote:
luvnstuff wrote:[
where in Michigan?

*WAVES*
over here!!!

l o l
In West Michigan.

The tickies this spring were down by ah..where was I..St.joseph area..
but I got them up here too a few times.

uck!!!!!!!

imperiumx1st

Postby imperiumx1st » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:56 pm

holy moly! thats big! ive never seen tick on my dogs

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:04 pm

are you sure the head is still ther or cpudl it be a lil scapr or dry blood??
(I always look with a magnifying glass).
for tick removal for thsoe big ticks-I grab the body and give a firm/swift pull, straight out, being careful NOT to squeeze the body of the tick so it doesn't push all the tick germs back into my dog's skin/body.
they usually let easily, go once they are engorged like that

rschrad7926
Matured Bully

Postby rschrad7926 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:36 pm

I'll have to look with a microscope....I always know exactly how I'm going to go about removing ticks....that all goes straight out the window when the dog starts a squirming!! lol Thanks for the good advice again

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:43 pm

Ick, this thread is bringing back memories. I found my first tick on Bennie a little over a month ago. Ick, ick, ick. :yucky: I don't use poisons on my dogs, just natural stuff so I guess I should have been expecting to experience one eventually. They are so fat and ugly with those little tiny heads. And I acted like I had to sanitize the whole house and both dogs once I removed it. To think, that thing was sleeping in my bed with us at night for I don't know how long. Eeewww, grosses me out!!!

Return to “Health Issues”