VERY STRANGE? False Pregnancy??? PLEASE READ!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
2bullies1princess

VERY STRANGE? False Pregnancy??? PLEASE READ!

Postby 2bullies1princess » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:39 pm

So Im sure all of you know by now that we took in an APBT and she was pregnant...Well She started getting bigger and her breast were also growing...I even thought I felt some pups in there at one point...I guess it was just her tummy rumbling...I dunno? Well she hasnt gotten any bigger in a month...She is the same...How is a false pregnancy started,Do you think she is still preggers? Maybe a miscarriage(but no discharge)?We are taking her to the vet next week for an appointment...but I want to know if anyone else went through this also.

sharonmissy
Matured Bully

Postby sharonmissy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:35 pm

When we first got Missy she was lactating and the vet thought she might be pregnant, turned out she was not. The shelter may have thought she was pregant as well because they didn't speuter her, but didn't mention anything to us. Anyway, vet mentioned that it could have been stress that triggered the lactation.

Humans can also have false pregancies. It's rare, but does happen.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:40 pm

Before my cattle dog Lucy was spayed, she went through a false pregnancy. She started lactating, she got pretty big, then over the course of two or three days, she dried up and went back to normal size. I took her into the vet when she first started showing 'signs' of pregnancy and found out she wasn't pregnant at the time, but it was still wierd to see it just go away like that. She was spayed immediately after that.

Ket

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Females may have huge false pregnancies, right down to nursing and nesting. Have the vet check her out, and get her spayed before her next heat. False pregnancies can increase a female's risk of getting pyometra, a very nasty, and potentially fatal uterine infection. Thanks for taking care of this girl in need.

the501clique
Newborn Bully

Postby the501clique » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:42 am

take her to the vet. we thought my buddys dog took, she started gettin big and everything. then she just stopped, and started shrinking down. so about a week later she starts getting sick and running a temperature, he takes her to the vet it turns out the litter died in the womb and never discharged. she was real sick, ended up being ok but he ended up having to remove her uterus due to the infection in there.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:22 am

Just a quick note... do NOT spay her during false pregnancy... it will only make the false pregnancy last longer and increase her chances of getting mastitis...

She should be spayed as soon as she is back to normal.

apbtgurl26
Matured Bully

Postby apbtgurl26 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:37 am

I've had 2 dogs that experienced this before. I've never had one that actually grew bigger though...they both just had larger tits and actually had milk come into them, but neither got bigger in size. One actually took in this ugly warthog squeaky toy as her 'baby', and carried it everywhere with her, and tried to make it nurse her. It was funny and sad at the same time.

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:43 am

Leslie H wrote:Females may have huge false pregnancies, right down to nursing and nesting. Have the vet check her out, and get her spayed before her next heat. False pregnancies can increase a female's risk of getting pyometra, a very nasty, and potentially fatal uterine infection. Thanks for taking care of this girl in need.

Im going with Leslie on this one..... Pyo can is serious and deadly and can happen with false pregnancies. (Not to mention it is so FOUL smelling!)

Stacy

Postby Stacy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:43 am

My Jezebel went thru a false pregnancy...even had discharge from her nipples. She had a rubber squeaky hamburger toy that she treated like it was her puppy. She'd clean it and carry it EVERYWHERE and if she couldn't find it, she'd go crazy, wandering all over the house, crying for her "baby". It honestly was a bit heartbreaking to see her do that.

I agree that the VERY best thing you could do for her is have her spayed. I got Jezebel spayed and am SO GLAD I did!

Return to “Health Issues”