Winter

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
abman
Matured Bully

Winter

Postby abman » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:41 pm

What differences does everyone do for the winter and colder weather in terms of feeding?

Also, what do you think of these ingredients? The main thing i dont like is the beet pulp but may add something like this along with the prarie raw for the 2 or 3 coldest months.

Poultry Meal, Chicken, Chicken Fat [Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E) and Citric Acid], Rice Flour, Plain Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Wheat Flour, Herring Meal, Dried Whole Eggs, Brewers Dried Yeast, Lecithin, Natural Flavors, Salt, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Yucca Schidigera extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Niacin, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfate (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Citric Acid, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Folic Acid, Potassium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Copper Oxide, Calcium Iodate

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:50 pm

Hey Abman,
Has something changed with the NV chicken?? That dry has a few things in it that look bad. Mixed with a raw might help but it's still not a dry food I would necessarily feed.

Poultry meal, rice flour, beet pulp, brewers yeast, wheat flour, natural flavors, salt, DL-Methionine.....

Which ever food it is you are going to be paying too much for it. If it's a weight management issue and you think they might get a little thin, add your own grain, at least you will know the quality of what they are eating. Just my .02 cents.

abman
Matured Bully

Postby abman » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:30 am

I still like the natures variety, but during the colder months it seems that my dog needs more. Just looking into adding more bulk into the diet. My dogs energy levels are through the roof when it gets colder.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:11 pm

Ok,
I thought that's what the issue might be. I would stick with the higher quality food, and add fat. Either oil, cottage cheese or goats milk. They should be going into hibernation mode here pretty quick, they should start bulking up a little. With better food it doesn't take much.............

If you don't feel they are getting enough............*cringe* oatmeal

I can't believe I just said that.........sigh. A cup a couple of times a week should do it.

abman
Matured Bully

Postby abman » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:16 am

The natures variety is great(both kibble and raw). If i could afford it i would feed just the raw but it would be really expensive. A 100 pound dog would probably need 2 pounds a day.

The natures variety is probably the best ive used so far.I'll probably try a little goats milk and oil to add to it.

Return to “Health Issues”