Meal vs. Whole Meat

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dbrat368

Meal vs. Whole Meat

Postby dbrat368 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:39 pm

Some questions my clients ask me often is about whole meat vs. meat meal. SO, I figured I would give my 2 cents here as well.

You want meat meals instead of whole meat. But, you want specific meat meals. Whole meat sources are weighed before cooking. So, if you have CHicken listed as the first ingredient, it is really not the first ingredient. After it is cooked, it loses all that water weight and drops down the ingredient list to maybe 4th or 5th. Chicken Meal on the other hand, dehydrated weight and it's weight does not change. They are both mucle meat sources. But the meal give you more REAL weight. What you want to avoid is generic meals like Poultry MEal - this could be just about any type of poultry mixed together and this is not good. You want most of your first few ingredients to be meat sources like Chicken Meal, Lamb Meal, Turkey Meal, etc. Hope this helps. IF anyone ever needs help reading pet food label please let me know. I own an All NAtural Pet Shop in NJ.

mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:15 pm

chicken meal is meat, bones and connective tissue

http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodglossar ... enmeal.htm
"Chicken meal is often used in dry cat food. The quality of the protein will depend on the type and amount of chicken meat in the mixture, as well as the amount of bone and connective tissue processed with the meat. Although better than chicken by-product meal, chicken meal is generally a lesser quality of protein source than chicken meat."

by-product meal is everything else but the feathers.

feathers are used in protein meal.

Michelle

Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Kara » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:00 pm

its funny, I just asked this very same question on the presa board I visit not two days ago!

Thank you for anwsering it for me!!

jcolt32

Meat Meals continued

Postby jcolt32 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:14 am

Chicken meal is not a lesser quality meat than whole chicken when you use a reputabel product. Chciken meal is mostly muscle parts when you use a good food that had human grade ingredients. It may contain some bone fragment adn connective tissue. Much like we eat a piece of chicken breast and there is often cartilege and bone on it.

Great definition! Thanks for the additional info!

Jeff

Return to “Health Issues”