I know this should be in Health but I'm panicked!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
blkngldbabe
Super Bully

I know this should be in Health but I'm panicked!!!

Postby blkngldbabe » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:53 pm

Herbie just snatched 2 small pieces of Godiva Chocolate truffle cake off of the counter. He's never gone on the counter before in his three years. It was at the back and I went to the bathroom before brining it down. Either way, I poured a small amount of peroxide in him and he gagged a bit but nothing happened. Then I tried a little more to no effect. How bad is this? What can I do? Any help would be thoroughly appreciated as I'm in a panic. Thanks.

blkngldbabe
Super Bully

Postby blkngldbabe » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:03 pm

I know people are reading this...I can tell :tongue: Please give me some advice or tell me the boy isn't going to keel over. He looks rather uncomfortable. I'm not sure if it's from the cake or the peroxide. Ugh. I'm so worried.

jayluu
Newborn Bully

Postby jayluu » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:06 pm

I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't think 2 small pieces of chocolate is going to hurt him....I'm not sure about the peroxide though...is that stuff meant to be digested? My small dogs have eaten small amounts of chocolate by accident, and they were fine....I hope somebody else has a better answer for you :frown:

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:08 pm

My dogs have eaten lots of chocolate over the yrs (purposely with my old dog when I didn't know better, the others accidentally - even dark chocolate).

I would suggest it's more of a "long term consumption" that causes any damage

Should be fine

O, I would think the uncomfortableness is likely the peroxide..

(Anecdote: Cyrus ate a whole bag of Eastern chocolates - I paid the next day with some upset tummy ....smelly upset tummy, but didn't last long and he was not particularly upset by it..I was...I was out alot of chocolate and had to deal with smellyness instead....)

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:10 pm

bakers chocolate is the worst from what I've been told, but two small pieces may not be of harm... how small? Call the vet explain what happened and they will advise you on the best course of action

I think they have to eat quite a bit for it to be harmful ... do a search on the forum I think it is up on here somewhere

SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SadiesHuman » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:10 pm

I don't see the chocolate being a problem unless he has a sensitive stomache. But again, I don't see 2 small peices being a big deal if he's about 3 years old.

I had a golden retriever who had an iron stomache, she once got into ALL of mine and my sisters easter candy and oh boy was she happy with herself. Not once was she sick. However if you're worried I think theres something called Keopecktate? Thats phonetically spelled, not actually spelled. lol. I think it's like a tums or peptobismol. But it worked whenever Candace got into anything she wasn't supposed to..

(like the box of 64 colored crayola crayons. Ooo tecnicolor poo in the backyard for a week! woo! was she a fun girl.)

But like the other person said, I'd be more worried about the peroxide than the chocolate. I don't know how peroxide is to digest either.

blkngldbabe
Super Bully

Postby blkngldbabe » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:11 pm

No guys..not small peices of chocolate, small peices of Cake. small wedges you get at a fine restaurant. one was for me and hte other my fiance.

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:13 pm

I'm sure he'll be fine. one of my dogs ate an entire easter basket full of chocolate (he was 60lbs) foil, jelly beans, grass everything (when I was a kid).

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:14 pm

sor for the DP...anywho..the dog was fine!

blkngldbabe
Super Bully

Postby blkngldbabe » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:14 pm

It was in the health section on how to make your dog vomit if necessary. (the peroxide thing)

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:16 pm

Have you checked out this thread?

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4337

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:17 pm

Sorry, I guess we posted at the same time...

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:21 pm

the peroxide has to be fresh for it to work. i think he will be ok, one of our dogs sometimes gets into my chocolate stash if it is not high up in a cupboard and has eaten entire hershey dark bars (the big ones) and has never gotten sick.

Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Rinalia » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:21 pm

Dark chocolate and baker's chocolate have the highest levels of theobromine, which is what causes problems in dogs (and other species) because it takes longer for these animals to process it.

Regular chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate are less of a concern. Carob is perfectly okay for dogs.

I don't think there is a concern for Herbie. The "chocolate killed my dog" craze is way overblown. How much a dog is affected depends on the type of chocolate, how much was consumed and the size of the dog.

I really doubt 2 pieces of truffle cake is going to harm Herbie (unless he weighs like two pounds!) and you just need to watch him. Don't give him any more peroxide, though.

Of course, if you feel really, super-duper paranoid, you can call an e-vet and just ask if they think it's an issue. But I doubt it is.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:44 pm

You could keep giving him peroxide to make him vomit, I've sometimes had to give my dogs quite a bit before they upchuck. I doubt that a couple pieces of cake are going to do more than give him diarrhea though.

I've seen chocolate poisoning in a dog once, it was a Cocker, I believe it ate a batch of chocolate chip cookies. We were actually suprised that it was enough to poison the dog, but it was showing clear symptoms. The dog was treated supportively (IV fluids, etc), and recovered fine.

Return to “Health Issues”