I know this should be in Health but I'm panicked!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
blkngldbabe
Super Bully
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:46 am
Location: Toronto Canada
Contact:

Postby blkngldbabe » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:54 pm

Thanks all. Herbie just threw up his toenails..(figure of speech of course.) It all came up including hte wrappers. He's now sulking in his crate facing away from the embarrasing mess on the floor we just cleaned up. He's clearly less uncomfortable. I DO think the prob was not fresh enough peroxide to do the trick at once. Thanks all so much for the advice and stories to calm me down a touch. You all rock.

User avatar
LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2527
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:38 pm
Location: CT

Postby LindsaySF » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:00 am

Sometimes it takes a bit more peroxide. I'm glad he's feeling better!

User avatar
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7459
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:59 pm
Location: Shingle Springs, CA
Contact:

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:44 am

I've seen chocolate poisoning in a dog once, it was a Cocker, I believe it ate a batch of chocolate chip cookies


Odd, I wonder if Cockers, in general, are more sceptical to it or if it's just an odd coincidence that the only dog I have heard recently who actually died from a chocolate overdose was a Cocker (happened over the 4th of July to a customer of ours)

Glad your pup is going to be ok!

User avatar
EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6940
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:09 am
Location: Norwich, CT
Contact:

Postby EmmasMom » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:45 am

YAY for Herbie Vomit! :yucky: :cheerleader: :yucky:

We're the weirdest people...EVER

User avatar
Murfins
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4374
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:26 pm
Location: Okotoks, Alberta

Postby Murfins » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:18 am

I'm so glad he vomitted and is feeling better. :)

User avatar
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer
Posts: 7651
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:52 pm
Location: New England

Postby Jazzy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:57 am

I'm so happy Herbie is better :) .

For the record; my basset hound once ate 1/2 a chocolate sheet cake with chocolate frosting. I panicked and called my vet who said it wasn't enough to cause a problem. And it didn't, she was fine and seemed quite pleased with her hunting/gathering ability and the overall experience lol .

User avatar
stillhoneymooning
Matured Bully
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Lancaster County PA
Contact:

Postby stillhoneymooning » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:29 am

Glad he's OK.

Last Christmas Dez ate an entire chocolate orange ball (about the size of a smallish tennis ball) while we were away one night.

I panicked and called the vet. He advised me to keep an eye on her but that at her weight, she'd probably be fine.

She was fine.

User avatar
sw_df27
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:31 pm
Location: Little Rock, AR

Postby sw_df27 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:26 am

Yeah I'm so glad he's doing better Alexis ate some mouse poisening once and man I freaked out and sometimes it does take a lot of perodxide to get big dogs to vomit I had to call my E-Vet and he talked me through it..... :thumbsup:

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:13 pm

Just for everyones general knowledge... DO NOT recommend giving more peroxide to make a dog vomit. I've heard of dogs that were unable to vomit and the peroxide caused ulcers that resulted in severe illness, and in one case the death of the dog.

Induction of vomiting should really be performed by a veterinarian. There are pretty serious side effects possible if things don't go smoothly, and much better choices of drugs to make them vomit. I've personally taken care of a dachsund who had aspiration pneumonia that put him in the ICU for 2 weeks, and of course the above horror stories as well.

User avatar
Allie
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Postby Allie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:24 pm

When Shades ate a bottle of fish medication (before he lived with us) the e-vet recommended they give him peroxide to induce vomiting. Same in the case where Sidda ate about 5 lbs of dog food. I'd never heard of it causing ulcers before, but it makes sense.
What about using salt to induce vomiting?

User avatar
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler
Posts: 10361
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:21 am

Postby Sarah » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:32 pm

All the vets I've ever known do recommend using peroxide to induce vomiting. Obviously, if you use peroxide, and can't get the dog to vomit, it becomes important to get it to the vet and let the vet know about the peroxide. But as long as the dog vomits, it will bring up the peroxide, so a little more isn't going to hurt anything.

I'd sure as hell rather induce vomiting myself with some peroxide, than wait a couple hours for the vet to open, with the poison slowly being absorbed into the dog's system. Getting the poison out quickly is usually key.

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:27 pm

Allie wrote:When Shades ate a bottle of fish medication (before he lived with us) the e-vet recommended they give him peroxide to induce vomiting. Same in the case where Sidda ate about 5 lbs of dog food. I'd never heard of it causing ulcers before, but it makes sense.
What about using salt to induce vomiting?


The dog that had aspiration pneumonia was given salt to induce vomiting BY A VET... it works, but its also a really good way to make a dog gag and get junk in the wrong tube.

I won't ever use anything other than apomorphine to induce vomiting...

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:28 pm

Sarah wrote:
I'd sure as hell rather induce vomiting myself with some peroxide, than wait a couple hours for the vet to open, with the poison slowly being absorbed into the dog's system. Getting the poison out quickly is usually key.


Yeah, it helps that I work for a 24 hour vet with a cheap emergency fee... there's no reason not to bring the dog right in...


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests