Daily food rotation ?? Good ?? Not Good ??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Tytanium
Newborn Bully

Daily food rotation ?? Good ?? Not Good ??

Postby Tytanium » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:20 pm

I'm curious to see what some of diet expert have to say about a the idea of feeding a different (but high quality) kibble every day of the week.

My idea;

Timberwolf Elk & Salmon - Monday
Natures Variety - Tuesday
Merrick - Wednesday
Canidae - Thursday

Something akin to what I have above. Maybe feeding a few of the foods a couple days. The Wife and I are trying to provide the best possible diet without going to a BARF / Raw diet. We've purchased all of the above, in small bags or free samples, and he goes nuts for all of them.

Is this form of rotation beneficial for a dog? My thoughts are that a dog in the wild will potentially eat something different every meal unless it's always raiding the same chicken house.

Any input would be appreciated. I understand the BARF diet would be the best but we aren't ready for that level of change and involvement in the food preparation process....

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:58 pm

I wouldn't think it would be. If you could just stay on timberwolf, I would....my dogs did GREAT on it!

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:12 am

You may be setting yourself up for some unpleasant digestive issues if you're switching everyday.

Maybe rotating with each bag would be better way to do it? That way towards
the end of the bag you gradually start adding the next food in the rotation.

You could also add some plain unsweetened yogurt, plain cooked meats, etc. to the meals if you want to add some variety on a daily basis.

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:03 am

I don't know anything about this so this isn't a recommendation, but a question to go along with the OP's. Would it be okay to use the same brand of food, but just rotate the recipes/flavors? Or would that have the same kind of digestive issues as what the OP is thinking of?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:18 am

that is too much of a rotation.. you are better off sticking to one food for a while, then rotating.. like every 3-6 months .. when i fed kibble i rotated a few times a year only, and did mostly different flavors from the same company, and if i switched manufacturers i did only 2 instead of 4.. like i did timberwolf and canidae mostly.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:05 pm

I switch foods every single bag (which works out to be about every 2-3 weeks). I stick with the good brands (ie TW, NV, Canidae, etc) and due to Kailie's issues I stick with fish and fowl. Once the dog is accustomed to rotation, you *shouldn't* have digestive upsets. In the wild, canines don't eat the same thing every day. I believe that by rotating the diet, you are offering a more well rounded source of nutrition. Each manufacturer gets their ingredients from different sources, and offer varying degrees of quality in those ingredients. Also, I don't believe that any one food is truly "nutritionally complete" as AAFCO would have you think. We don't even truly know the nutritional requirements of canines, we just have a decent idea.
I also fully encourage raw meaty bones, meat, necks, whole eggs, veggies and other raw fresh ingredients whenever possible. We just chuck 'em in with the kibble.
My heirarchy of food goes like this:
BARF
Canned
High End Kibble
Chain Pet Store Kibble
Grocery Store Kibble
Sawdust with bugs (gotta have a protein source ya know) and garbage

Return to “Health Issues”