Paw pad woes...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
heartbullies

Paw pad woes...

Postby heartbullies » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:48 pm

Booker is a simple sort of lad. He likes chasing stuff- squirrels, birds, sticks, and tennis balls. However, dear Booker's feet often don't hold up to this challenge.

He'll play and play and play, oblivious to the fact that this paw pads are totally abraded away or dangling garishly off his feet, leaving a trail of bloody pawprints, or, at best, smears of blood, behind him.

I check his feet when we're playing in an attempt to prevent further injuries (try explaining that to people, "Oh, I'm just checking his feet after every retrieve to make sure he hasn't injured himself in his blinding enthusiasm, because he won't stop playing even if he's hurt, so I just have to kinda check... what? You don't do this with your dog...? No? Um, hmm....") but this method isn't working as well as I'd like, plus he just really needs to burn off some steam sometimes. I don't always have access to pit-bull-approved grassy areas, so usually he's skidding around on a tennis court, or on some kind of concrete, ripping that skin...

Are there any products (other than booties!) you've tried that could help his wee feet? I can't help his head, but I can try to help his feet. In the interim, I usually just put triple-antibiotic ointment (like Neosporin) on his feet after I clean all the gravel, hair, blood, and dirt and then try to limit his activity to leashed walks for a while.

Gratuitous Booker photo:

Image[/i]

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:01 pm

Re: the products mentioned below, "Tuf Foot" and "Dog Salve," will these simply alleviate his discomfort and promote healing? Or could they somehow also magically make his pawpads adhere to the flesh beneath them?

Thicker skin on his paws might help, but even the thick area, high on his front legs above his dewclaws, has been known to just come off his leg in a thick flap... sigh.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:13 pm

Kopertox and Tuff Pads are put on before or even days before running and such...You might want to get some of this after they heal to toughen up his pads....

Bag Balm, Vitamin E, neosporin will help with the healing.

That is my .02. But I bet others with more experience can help...

Here is a recent post on pads.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=63305

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:58 pm

I'd start making him wear booties.

Nothing will speed healing, all you can do is prevent things that slow healing. Neosporin and keeping him from doing more damage are your best bet...

greenkozi
Bully Ambassador

Postby greenkozi » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:36 pm

mac cannot run without ripping his pads. it's like, not possible. he particularly likes to rip the ones that don't touch the ground? i can't figure out how this happens, but it does. the ones up high, sort of by the ankle bone. they don't touch cement, but they shred. it doesn't seem to hurt him, but it hurts me.

i use colloidal silver spray after to help speed up healing. he hasn't figured out how to run in booties yet.

dr961
Super Bully

Postby dr961 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:30 am

There isn't alot you can do to prevent torn foot pads, other than to be careful not to let your dog run on pavement. Even dry grass can be hard on feet if the dog makes sharp stops and starts and zooms around like a maniac!

You might check out some of the things people with lure coursing sighthounds do to help prevent pad injuries. Some just put adhesive tape over (and especially under) each stopper pad (the small round one on the back of the front ankle.) Some wrap self-adhesive stretchy vet wrap around the ankles and sometimes even down to cover the big pad on the bottom of the front feet before letting the dog run. Personally, I never did this, but did tape over the stopper pads which are easily injured if a dog makes a sliding stop from speed.

The best topical med to help toughen up pads is either tincture of benzoin or a similar liquid called Tuff Foot. Put some on every day, and keep the dog lying down for a few minutes for the stuff to dry. It will remain a bit tacky, but that's ok. IMO, creams or Bag Balm don't toughen pads at all, although they might help heal torn ones.

If dogs have pink pads, they will be more prone to injuries than dogs with black pads. Nothing will make soft pads really tough, so just be careful where you let your dog run if he has pad troubles.

Chrissie
Newborn Bully

Postby Chrissie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:15 am

My 10year old, Missy just a couple days ago..jumped over a fence onto a bunch of rocks and dirt..and sliced off half of her foot pad. She kept licking and licking it, and when she walked she limped, it was bothering her.

Two days later she was fine, as it started healing. Shes gone thru this before when she wasmuch younger, from playing on the oavement with some kids. Now that shes older, it definitely seemed to bother her more..."sigh old girl"

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:40 am

When we have ripped pads in flyball, IF it's a flap of pad that had rippied back but still attached?

We super glue them back together. Just a thin line of SG along the edge of the flap and press and hold. They'll still need to heal but they can walk on it and you don't have a huge open sore.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:26 pm

FransterDoo wrote:When we have ripped pads in flyball, IF it's a flap of pad that had rippied back but still attached?

We super glue them back together. Just a thin line of SG along the edge of the flap and press and hold. They'll still need to heal but they can walk on it and you don't have a huge open sore.

I thought about using super glue when Solomon's pad ripped, but wasn't quite sure! I'll know for next time though, since it doesn't take much for his pads to rip.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:56 pm

FransterDoo wrote:When we have ripped pads in flyball, IF it's a flap of pad that had rippied back but still attached?

Franster do you clean/disinfect them before you glue them back?
I have super glued some of my cuts,(really burns though) but made sure to really clean them out first.

clownracer
Newborn Bully

Postby clownracer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:33 pm

superglue works great it was originaly designed by the us army to heal battlefield wounds! i just orderd some tuf foot when it gets in ill do a write up to let everyone know how it works!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:36 pm

pblove wrote:

Franster do you clean/disinfect them before you glue them back?
I have super glued some of my cuts,(really burns though) but made sure to really clean them out first.

Of course, Sharon!

Leslie's one of the chief paw workers (I'd just end up gluing my own fingers together) but we cradle the dog belly up and the paws are cleaned and then glued and gently held until dry. Repeat with each paw needing to be glued.

We usually need to repeat each morning if it happens on the first day of a multiple day tournament.

I also rip back my curticles a lot when box loading so I paint my pointer and middle fingers with liquid bandage each morning.

and then there's the braces people wear and the full gloves some folks wear, and the joint supplements and water "boosters" - it's a regular battle field sometimes!

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:44 pm

Just be sure not to overdo the superglue! When it's dry it's basically plastic, and the body doesn't like that. You want to put it at the EDGE of a cut only, not IN the cut. If you put it inside, it prevents the surfaces from coming together, and actually slows healing and increases scarring!

That said, when used carefully, it can be great.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:46 pm

You CAN build up the toughness of a dogs pads but you have to closely watch them and keep them conditioned. Think of them as your hands or lips in the wintertime. If you don't put any kind of cream on them your hands will eventually crack because they dry out, the same with your lips.
This also applies to a dogs pads.

We have a little bit of a routine in our household where we clean the dogs feet with a soft cloth soaked in luke warm water, followed by cutting their nails and massaging dog salve into their pads and all between their "toes". Depending on what we do exercise wise we apply the dog salve more often. The dogs love their little "spa" treatment and it sure helps them relax.
There are ways of course to prevent injuring the pads in the first place, such as not playing fetch or flirtpole on concrete but on softer ground like grass.
I walk my dogs daily for at least 5 miles over a variety of terrain such as concrete, gravel, sand/dirt and grass in all kinds of weather conditions (hot, cold, rainy) and in the ten years as a dog owner I have yet to encounter an injured paw.
Dog salve does actually help the healing process as you can use it on cuts as well, you can even use it to keep mosquitos away.
I would take it a bit easy throughout the healing process but once he is good to go make sure to apply one of the before mentioned ointments to his pads and keep applying every couple of days for at least two weeks. After that you should only have to apply it every other week or so after giving your dog a bath. Hope this helps.

Return to “Health Issues”