My puppy has missing hair spots!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Liqwed

My puppy has missing hair spots!!!

Postby Liqwed » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:45 pm

hey guys, my puppy is 3 months old. He has 2 small spots on him, about the size of this ( :sad: ) , one is on his head, the other is on his leg. There is barely any hair on those spots. My friend's pit bull had one on his leg but just bigger, and he brought it to the vet an they told him it was a ring worm? Does my dog have ring worm infection too? should i worry about the food he is eatin? or the soap?

Maximus

Postby Maximus » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:48 pm

Get your pup to the vet for a skin scraping. It could be demodex mange (an indication of a weak immune system), so yes, absolutely, you should worry about what he's eating. What do you feed?

Awesome_PIT

Postby Awesome_PIT » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:43 pm

Could he maybe have fleas and be scratching at a specific spot a lot? :dunno:

Liqwed

Postby Liqwed » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:03 pm

I feed him Nutro Natural Choice large breed. I will probably take him this week to get it checked up. He doesnt scratch too much so i dont think it could be fleas

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:35 pm

I would get him off the Nutro, especially the large breed. If the problem is demodex the food won't help with the compromised immune system. If it's ring worm........... the food won't help that either. It's pretty crappy food, you pay a lot for low quality.

elizer

Postby elizer » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:32 pm

my pup had the same problem and got skin scrapes and had no mange. the vet said a lot of time puppies get skin infections, i just put on some neosporin and cleared right up

Liqwed

Postby Liqwed » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:34 pm

all you did was just apply neosporin on his bald spots? Does this happen to them also when they get older?

PitBullPride

Postby PitBullPride » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:48 pm

i suggest also the skin scraping to rule out demodex....

Liqwed

Postby Liqwed » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:30 pm

sorry for the newbie question (this is my first puppy) but what is skin scraping and how do i do this?
Oh by the way, what do you guys think of Sensible Choice dog food? it has no by-products in it and is available in petsmart

Maximus

Postby Maximus » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:11 pm

A skin scraping isn't something you can do. You need to take your pupper to the vet. The vet will take a scalpel and scrape surface skin cells from the hotspot (where the hair is missing) and then look at the scraping under a microscope. He/she will be able to see mange mites if your pup has demodex.

I don't know anything about Sensible Choice dog food, but I do know you want to look for more than just no byproducts in a quality food. If there is any corn product in the kibble, for instance, it's essentially crap. There are many, many, many threads in this section about food, so you should have no problem finding guidelines to choosing a quality food.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:30 pm

Sensible Choice is a very basic food...........it's not all that good, they are an off shoot of Royal Canin, Europes answer to Science Diet.......... They are being swallowed by the parent company slowly but surely. They were only found in independant retailers for many years, it was considered good at one time. It's been left in the dust in the shift in feeding practices.

As a rule if you can get it at PetSmart it's not great. Some don't have any other choice though so..........if they carry Blue, try that instead.

Return to “Health Issues”