Does anyone else have a dog that eats ANYTHING?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Does anyone else have a dog that eats ANYTHING?

Postby L Boogie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:39 pm

Lexus will devour anything she can find...but she has a real fondness for socks, toilet paper, baby wipes, and paper towels. I try to keep the trash away from her as best I can, and the laundry in our closet, but when she sees the chance to grab something, she does it in a split second, and swallows it as fast as she can. I know this habit of hers is going to get her a blockage...she did manage to swallow a sock once, but threw it back up...but she's constantly pooping out paper products. What the hell is wrong with this dog? :huh?:

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Streets used to be like that, his masterpiece was eating the one remaining copy of the only recording the BF's first band ever did, vomiting up half the tape from inside the cassette (which I had to cut to seperate from the length still in his belly), then pooping out the remainder two days later. Fun times.

After than we spent alot of time teaching the dogs the difference between their stuff and ours.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:51 pm

What did you do to teach them what was acceptable to chew on an what was not?
I have a problem with two of my dogs constantly trying to eat the bird's toys. They know better, I'm sure.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:07 pm

yep got one here.. he will eat anything none edible.....

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:12 pm

It's been a while, but I think it was a combo of being really consistent about trading anything they might have gotten for one of their own toys, teaching them certain areas were off limits (like the coffee table, bookshelves, etc.) and teaching the word "toys" so that if I saw them heading towards a shoe, for example, I could redirect by saying "go get your toy" and then praising like a mad woman.

It did take a while, I won't lie, but eventually one or a combo of the things above taught them to differentiate their stuff and our stuff (though my hot pink Crocs seem to fall into the "dog toy" category lol ).

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:58 pm

Well, I suppose that's what you get for having hot pink crocs. ;)

It doesn't help that Twitch makes a game of throw stuff to (or at) the dogs.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:53 pm

Kane isn't TOO bad (expect for toilet paper, paper towels) but that's only if stupid me leaves it on the floor or something. He won't go and grab toilet paper from the roll.

My friend had a doberman (RIP Cyrus) who ate anything non-edible. His favorite "treat" was my friend's daughter's socks. Unfortunately, this pastime led to his death a year ago. He was only 2. At first he had symptoms of bloat and they took him to the vet. It was a blockage, but it had affected his intestines or something? It turned out to be some cloth material. After $7,000 worth of surgeries/procedures, they had to make the difficult decision to have him PTS. He was in bad shape. She, too, was careful to make sure nothing was left out. :frown:

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:52 am

Veronica was really like that as a puppy. She thought walks were scavanger hunts. She seems to have grown out of it somewhat and hopefully will continue to lose interest in the unedibles. (Bugs however don't count, because I'm pretty sure they're considered "delicacies".).

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:49 pm

Issis and Kayrah both chew on insane stuff. I have just gotten into the habit of never ever leaving anything out unless I'm around. It's not fool proof, but my shoes don't get destroyed anymore...

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:06 pm

You guys that have dogs that eat all kinds of stuff -- do they have access to grass, dirt, bugs, etc that they are allowed to eat?

It's just a theory of mine -- I've never really had this problem and my dogs have access to and are allowed to eat grass, and they like small amounts of dirt in the spring (although I think it's the new, tender grass ROOTS that they are after). I have a friend that has a dog that is never allowed to eat grass and hardly ever allowed to put anything in his mouth AT ALL. And that guy has a terrible time with his dog trying to get anything and everything in his mouth and swallow it....

Carla

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:09 pm

mine has access to bugs, grass, etc.. he is just a power chewer for things that are not edible.. been this way for 5 years now.. i just keep a huge eye on him, and never have stuff on the floor anymore or within reach of him.. even after hard exercise he will chew on something if he finds it..

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:49 am

L Boogie, I have dogs like that too. You will have to watch her like a hawk to stop her from grabbing something. If she does go for something, stop her and shove something appropriate in her mouth (toy, bone, etc) trying to redirect her. Sometimes that helps, but you will always have to keep a super close eye on her. ;)

~Lindsay~

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Kailie will eat anything that meets the following criteria:
-is edible
-was edible at one time (ie ferret or cat poo)
-might be edible (ie can I chew it?)
Bonus points if it makes her feel full or offers any tiny amount of nutrition.
She ate the router under my desk at work once. No more alone time in my office after that!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:43 pm

Scooter is a walking barking Shop Vac, she will suck anything into her head, and if you dont catch her quick with an OUT she will suck it right in,
so far we have "out'ed" from her head:

a plastic flimsy box of nails (oh my...so lucky on THAT one)

a Bag of Expresso beans (but not before she ripped a hole and sucked in a few beaners....that was a fun day, pittie on crack....)

A package of 4 AA batteries (panicked until I found the 4th one under the couch)

one small dog that attacked her (thank goodness for OUT..lil dog deserved it she lept up and bit dog in the mouth and hung on..gez..lil doggy wasnt hurt but stay frozen for a bit.. )

One box of sudafed (whew.. another just in the nick of time)

attachement to the vacumn (didnt know it fell off as I was vacumming scooter helped her self to the plastic attacher)

oh the list goes on..but these are a few of the oh sheets the bed moments!

I cant leave this dog out for a MINUTE without watching her every moment !!

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:00 am

Carla wrote:You guys that have dogs that eat all kinds of stuff -- do they have access to grass, dirt, bugs, etc that they are allowed to eat?

It's just a theory of mine -- I've never really had this problem and my dogs have access to and are allowed to eat grass, and they like small amounts of dirt in the spring (although I think it's the new, tender grass ROOTS that they are after). I have a friend that has a dog that is never allowed to eat grass and hardly ever allowed to put anything in his mouth AT ALL. And that guy has a terrible time with his dog trying to get anything and everything in his mouth and swallow it....

Carla

I don't have an issue with Snoopy eating everything and anything. He will eat anything given to him--except Canidae lol lol
And he's not a big grass/dirt eater. Some times if it's tall grass and it's annoying him, he will trim it, but other than that, he leaves it alone. He leaves most stuff alone unless he knows it's exclusively for him to chew.

Return to “Health Issues”