Fuss budgets

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Fuss budgets

Postby Jazzy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:06 pm

I've been told many times by many people that I have fussy dogs because I spoil them and allow it. Ok I'll take the blame; but still I wonder how it can all be me. I mean I know there are dogs out there that eat voraciously. I've seen them (never in my home, but I have seen it happen.)

I am just curious however if anyone else has a real fussy eater like me? I was reading the other thread about things people add to their dog's dinners, and my first thought was "Veronica wouldn't eat half of that stuff". Last night I thought I was doing something nice and added some cooked carrots (which we had had for dinner)...I had to pick them out before she would eat :\

The other thing I know I do "wrong" but am really not motivated to fix, is I let her eat whenever she wants. There is a set amount that she is served, but we leave it down until she finishes...which takes all night because she is a "picker". Always was, even as a puppy...I was worried she wasn't eating enough; the breeder said she "free fed" and that was how she was used to eating. Right now, I haven't been motivated to change this aspect of how we feed her because as I said, she gets only a set amount and she does eat it and she has absolutely no food aggression, which I've sort of attributed to this "food is always available, no need to freak out over it" approach.

So I'm just wondering if anyone is in the same boat?

Jazzy

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:18 pm

My parents dog chance is an extremely fussy eater. Won't touch her food if an egg is added- walks away at the site of yogurt. Mixed in some solid gold to her pedigree and she tried to pick around it... She wouldn't even take bacon when I tried to train her how to heel, or any other high end treat. Just give her the gross stuff and she's happy.

But she's only really like that because she knows if she holds out, she'll get the good stuff in the end. Just don't give in. If that means she misses a few meals- oh well! She won't die :)

bll516
Super Bully

Postby bll516 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:20 pm

Jameson is very picky when it comes to his kibble. If he doesnt like it he just spits it out. He does take his time to eat. He eats one kibble at a time. It's so annoying lol

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:25 pm

Quote: " Last night I thought I was doing something nice and added some cooked carrots (which we had had for dinner)...I had to pick them out before she would eat."

Are you sure you are waiting long enough? You are supposed to wait them out - if they won't eat something, you leave it there, take it away after 20 mins and do not present it again until the next feeding time. Sounds like you might be too anxious and giving in your self before you have given the other option a full chance. If I wanted my dog to eat something normal (luckily Ruby's a really good eater) I would get very stubborn about it.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:03 pm

Are you sure you are waiting long enough?

Usually we put her dinner down around 5:30; she picks on and off and finishes it by 9ish.

As I said I know I am not doing this "right"; so I really can't complain. I know I could do the twenty minutes...oh well...better luck next time...and I probably should...okay I definitly should...but I won't :oops: .

izapitty
Newborn Bully

Fussy eater

Postby izapitty » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:43 pm

My dog sits and stays waits for her meal then I OK her to eat. If she does not eat what I give or breaks her sit and stay NO MEAL, I will pull the meal and leave it on top of the fridge. Next AM bet your ass she is in a sit stay and not fussy at all!

PS I have only had to pull meals twice once on the sit stay and once for being too distracted to eat. IMHO you are allowing your dog to be "fussy" they waiting you out for the better deal and winning everytime conditioned response - they have conditioned you to respond to them when they do this behavior.

Trust me withholding a meal will change the tune of your dog very quickly - if you really want to show them wats up start feeding them by hand for tricks SEE NILF thread in behavior section. Your dog will start looking to you for food instead of at you until you give it what it wants.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re: Fussy eater

Postby InBearsMemory » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:33 pm

izapitty wrote:
Trust me withholding a meal will change the tune of your dog very quickly - if you really want to show them wats up start feeding them by hand for tricks SEE NILF thread in behavior section. Your dog will start looking to you for food instead of at you until you give it what it wants.

I second that. My dogs get 20-30 minutes to eat their meals which is plenty of time. If they don't eat it goes up and they don't get anything else until the next feeding time. That has never been an issue with our APBT. I don't get a chance to walk five feet away after putting the bowl down and he is done (well almost, lol) but my Husky is extremely picky. She would rather sit next to you and wait for a single crumb to fall down in the span of an hour than to eat her own food in her bowl.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:58 pm

My girl Jasmine was free fed in her younger years. IMO, this contributed to her fussiness. She learned very quickly that if she didn't eat her meal within 15 minutes, we'd take it away. 5:30 until 9:00 is too long to leave the food out.

To this day, Jasmine will sometimes refuse to eat a meal here or there. Too bad. If she doesn't eat what we give her when we give it to her, it gets taken away. She does have preferences, of course, and that's fine by me. She likes it when her food is soaked in a small amount of warm water. I oblige often, but not always.

In a pack, the alpha controls the food. So by controlling the food options, you are telling your dog you are the provider. My dogs also have to earn their food by sitting nicely in their crates first.

Return to “Health Issues”