wellness

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jmyk
Newborn Bully

wellness

Postby jmyk » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:21 pm

so when i first got d.o.g i didn't really know what to feed him so i picked up purina puppy chow at wal-mart cause that was the only place open at 2 a.m. then the next time it was time to get food the petstore person convinced me to get eukanuba. so for todays trip to petclub i grabbed wellness for puppies. i'm guessing it's probably bad to keep switchin it up but hopefully this is the one.

midwestdrifter13
Newborn Bully

Postby midwestdrifter13 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:25 am

I use Nutro Max...seems everyone at my local petsmart uses it, and i've onle heard good things about it!!! Lowers yard waste 50%!!! :peace:

You should switch the food by doing 25% new food, them 50/50, then 75% new...you get the idea.

www.nutroproducts.com

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:27 am

Wellness's quality has really slipped lately. My dog won't even eat it since they changed the recipe.

Eukanuba and Purina are worse though.

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:53 am

I have Bella on Canidae. The philosophy at Canidae is one basic formula for all ages of dog. They believe you control the level of vital nutrients by controlling to amount of food you allow your dog (at least thats how it was explained by the Canidae rep at the Pet Expo), so theres no "puppy formula". So far, Bellas coat is healthy and shiny, and she has great teeth, eyes, and ears. My only complaint is she poops ALOT.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:59 am

My four dogs eat Canidae as well. They are all well past their puppy stage, though.

What foods do you have available to you?

Search for the WDJ's top foods.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Allie wrote:My four dogs eat Canidae as well. They are all well past their puppy stage, though.

What foods do you have available to you?

Search for the WDJ's top foods.

:goodpost:

A lot of members feed Canidae with awesome results. Also, it seems a majority of the members here (myself included) think that...hmm...there are better foods than Nutro. For the same price as Nutro foods, you can buy Canidae. Canidae usually runs like $25-$35 for a 40# bag, depending on where you shop.

artemiss
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby artemiss » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:40 pm

I currently have Kira on the Fish and Sweet Potato Wellness Because of her allergies, the dermatologist pulled her off of the Natural Balance Duck and Potato (no poultry at all for my little itchy girl) but said that the fish one would be okay, along with the venison (when they reintroduce it.)
I got a small bag of the Wellness fish, and she not only tolerated it well, but LIKED it. (she really doesn't care much for the Natural Balance fish)Since Wellness also has the Simple Solutions Venison, I thought this sould be an easier way to give her some variation on the restricted diet.

Could someone let me know (via pm or on here) why they think Wellness has slipped? I see that you said it has to do with the recipe change, but before I went out and got a large bag of the stuff, I saw it was on the list of foods on the sticky..

miette
Adolescent Bully

Postby miette » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:10 am

Sunny is on Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice large breed and does wonderful on it. less poops and gas.

All of her treats are dogswell.

www.dogswell.com

A great company!!!!

dondondon
Newborn Bully

Postby dondondon » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:51 pm

My pups doing great on the wellness puppy mix. He even drools everytime I am filling up his bowl in front of him.

cinder06
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby cinder06 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:07 pm

My dogs as youngsters ate wellness , but it for some reason never came back out solid. So I started feeding them Eukanuba, because I didnt have to order it, and then their poo came out solid, but then switched to diamond naturals because it's better tha Euk. and my male had an allergic reaction to Euk.

karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby karladaune » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:34 am

Canidae here, too. I finally convinced my mom to stop feeding her 4 dogs Iams and she has been raving about Canidae for the last 2 months :thumbsup:

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:12 am

I fed Wellness at one point, but it was hard for me to come by. Now I feed California Natural which is made by Innova.

mr. beefy
Adolescent Bully

Postby mr. beefy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:47 am

I feed raw but keep a stock of California Natural on hand for trips, guest dogs, etc. Since it has very few ingredients, most dogs can switch to it easily without a problem. It used to be the house food at the dog day care I worked at.

A lot less poop with CN, too (the dog's body ends up digesting more of it, and it's calorically dense so you feed less overall)

Here's a tip: if you keep switching food try to blend the old and new foods together (1st meal 75% old, 25% new, 2nd 50%/50%, etc) until it's just the new food. If you don't have the luxury of having both on hand, fast the dog for at least one day (unless it's a young puppy and then just make it one meal) and then give the new food. This gives the dog's system time to adjust.

Haven't heard why Wellness' quality has slacked but it doesn't surprise me. They just have so many ingredients in their foods. I tried my dog on Wellness several times but, inevitably, his system would get maxed out and he'd get the runs after a few days. The only one he had remote success with was the White Fish and Sweet Potato. Even that resulted in terrible gas, bade skin, and runny poop after about two weeks. Yum.

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:56 am

When we got Emma she was eating ProPlan at the foster's house...we put her on Iams before I realized how :yucky: it was. Now she's on Blue Buffalo and doing great!

Return to “Health Issues”