Distemper?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
RodentRanger
Super Bully

Distemper?

Postby RodentRanger » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:32 pm

We have a squirrel in the driveway that I'm fairly sure has distemper. My dogs get titers, but I didn't do them this year. Can I ever let them out again???? If I need to sterilize the area, how do I do it? Is it transmissable to people?

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:07 pm

I don't think squirrels get distemper. People do not, but can carry the virus asymptomatically. Bleach would probably kill it.
http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/distemper/

Are you sure it doesn't have rabies? Not that this would be any better, but it also causes neurological symptoms, and rabies does infect squirrels.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:41 pm

I read that squirrels could get canine distemper, but then my vet's office said no, it's species specific. But I do know that ferrets can get it, so I'm confused.... especially since they said that dogs can't get rabies from rodents except bats.
At any rate, my hubby 'euthanized' him by trapping him in a box and running a hose from the tailpipe of the car into the box. He was having seizures and running in circles while leaning with his head tilted. I called the local wildlife center who told me that they would've probably euthed him as well and that he most likely has baylis (sp?) which is quite common in squirrels. Also, not transferrable to my furkids. We were told to double bag him and put him in our garbage. :yucky:

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:51 pm

This is what the wildlife people said he probably had. WARNING: NASTY PIC AT TOP OF PAGE!
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Canine distemper is not species specific, there are other carnivorous animals that can get it. (notably, raccoons). However, squirrels aren't among the animals that get it. Ferrets can. Ferrets are not rodents, they are in the weasel family.

Rabies is more commonly transmitted by bats, and is not common in the smaller animals, but can occur, and anything that has rabies, can transmit it.

However, I'd go with the information the wildlife center gave you, since I'd assume they had the experience to know what they are talking about.

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:59 pm

Yeah, for squirrels, distemper is not possible, rabies is unlikely. The most likely things for a neurologic squirrel are Baylisascaris (they get this from raccoons), and being hit upside the head by a car. Your dog could only get baylisascaris from eating the squirrel, or eating raccoon poop.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:51 pm

ZiggysMom wrote:Yeah, for squirrels, distemper is not possible, rabies is unlikely. The most likely things for a neurologic squirrel are Baylisascaris (they get this from raccoons), and being hit upside the head by a car. Your dog could only get baylisascaris from eating the squirrel, or eating raccoon poop.

Yes, and my dog eats everything. :yucky: Not the squirrel, but probably poop. I bought some wormer since it is my understanding that balis is tranmitted through roundworms.

Return to “Health Issues”