Calories per day???(how does cofi look)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
clownracer
Newborn Bully

Calories per day???(how does cofi look)

Postby clownracer » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:47 pm

How many calories per day should a 70 pound working dog be getting....i have been feeding cofi 2 cups of cannidae a day (like 1000 cal)how does he look i think he could still do to lose a couple pounds we jog 4 miles in the morning and walk another 2 at night that should be enough exercise for him right?Image

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:59 pm

I think he looks good. My dog is 70 lbs, & I give him 2 cups of canidae a day also.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:16 pm

he looks good. when you stand over him and look down at his back, does he have a slight indent where his hips are? like an hourglass figure? if so, that is good. if he has no hourglass figure he would need to lose some more..

clownracer
Newborn Bully

Postby clownracer » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:29 pm

Maryellen wrote:he looks good. when you stand over him and look down at his back, does he have a slight indent where his hips are? like an hourglass figure? if so, that is good. if he has no hourglass figure he would need to lose some more..

he is juuuust starting to get that

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:16 pm

then you are on the right track.. you can also decrease his food to instead of 2 cups a day to 1 2/3 or 1 1/2 a day and with the exercise that might trim him down more to your liking..

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:07 pm

I feed Red 2 cups of Solid Gold/day with added toppings. She's running at 993 calories/day. 2x a week they get RAW and then they also get wet mixed in 2x a week. She also gets Subbed a Cup of EVO every other day for one cup of Solid Gold, when I feed the EVO I cut the toppings down to keep the Calories at a 1000. I do not like going over 1000 as then she packs on the weight. I also feed Puppy Food not Adult. You can see pictures of her on my thread in the gallery.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:07 am

I think he could still stand to lose a bit more weight. His tuck ought to be a bit higher, and he's pretty smooth all over--a couple more pounds might show a bit more definition on him. He doesn't look bad by any means--but if weight is your concern, I'd maybe drop the food by 1/2 (1/4 cup per meal and he'll hardly notice) cup per day and see if that makes any difference over the next couple of weeks.

clownracer
Newborn Bully

Postby clownracer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:10 am

awesome thanks for all the responses guys.....when i bring the topic up among friends there like feed him more! its hard to find people who know what a dog should look like!

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:25 am

Most people don't know what an in shape dog looks like and 99% of dogs you see are overweight. Your friends are just used to seeing fat dogs so they don't know any better.

I'd say your dog is in what I'd call "house dog condition" or roughly the condition of a normal dog that isn't fat but not really in top shape either. House dog condition is better than most people keep their dogs, btw. :)

A few more pounds and he'll look great, and be in sporting condition. I actually should say he'll look great-er because he is already a handsome lad!

Regards!

Return to “Health Issues”