Anal glandsoverload! help!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Chrissie
Newborn Bully

Anal glandsoverload! help!!

Postby Chrissie » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:37 pm

Hey everyone...I havent posted in months..been busy with work. I have 3 dogs..10years old AmStaff Missy, 10months old blue APBT, Roman(ears cropped), and 2years old APBT Kelsey.

My cncern is with Kelsey.I mantioned it the vet months ago..twice and they said its normal. I dont think its normal at all.

I know that dogs have anal sacs or glands that can fill up, and will leak if they arent expressed. Well Kelsey is an anal fluid geyser! I swear there a spring up there!

Its happening waaay too much that she will leak from backthere. It will start either from catching her licking herself back there..or we catch a wiff of it. Its not even a wiff, its a lingering stench. It could be a tiny drop.that will stink up the whiole room..and its the worst smell in the world!

Shes leaked on our ouch on our blankets, our carpet..its really a huge problem...that its out of control. We really cannot have a dogf that does this, becuase it will ruin everything! We(fiancee), do not want to give her away , we love her. and noone would takle her with this leakage problem.

Its not normal.its way too much...she leaks all the time. What cpuld it be? Had anyone had this same problem?

I am taking her to the vet this week, and I am not going to let them tell me its normal. :yucky:

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:45 pm

Well, it IS normal for dogs to express their anal glands. If its causing problems though, you can take her to the vet or a groomer and have them expel the glands before it gets to the 'leaking' point.

I know that some people have their dog's anal glands completely removed, but I don't know what side affects it might have, or what causes they have for removing them.

Good luck, I have an idea how you feel. My girl Gypsy likes to express her anal glands right in front of company, or when we go places. There is nothing like that particular stench.

Also, if you wanted to, you could learn how to do the glands yourself. Its not at all hard, although it is a bit gross!

Ket

Chrissie
Newborn Bully

Postby Chrissie » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:49 pm

Thanks for replying! I do know that its normal, but this is not normal with Kelsey.....so hopefully it gets taken care of soon!

I also think I would rather have soemone else express them. My two other dogs are fine ..not like Kelsey.

I didnt know that the glands could actually be removed.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:21 am

IMHO- I would NOT Advise removing the glands unless a Medical Issue arose with them. You can "express" them yourself and it's much cheaper than taking her to the Vet/Groomer. It is quite nasty and does stink a lot.

I would get worried if they become "Impacted" not able to express them herself and then the anal juice becomes infected and they have to be surgically "expressed".

Unless, it's a big worry, I'd deal with the stink, Spray her with Febreeze when she does it. LOL At least she is doing it herself.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:24 am

Learneing how to express them yourself is the way to go. Its not hard, and get baby wipes to wipe her bum after so theres little smell. My male bull terrier had to have it done every 4 days for 3 months then it got etter and only had to be done 1x every 2 weeks.

Surgery could leave her incontinant, and is a complicated major sugery. You'd want someone who has done it before, and since its rare, that should be harder to find.

Its a horrible smell and I totally understand your frustration. My little girm Tima is a total bum sucker and has anals breath all the time :crybaby:
no kisses for me !!!

Stacy

Postby Stacy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:02 am

Jezebels anal sacs kept getting impacted so I had to have one of them removed (it ruptured inside...poor girl!!!)

They were going to remove both of them...but the vet said some dogs then have issues of not being able to control themselves when it comes to pooping....so honestly, if you don't HAVE to get them removed, I wouldn't.

luv my fur babies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

fun topic - anal glands

Postby luv my fur babies » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:16 pm

Does anyone have any home remedy type of treatment for over-active anal glands? Any particular foods that will help?

Thanks!

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:29 pm

Some people say giving them some canned pumpkin with their food can help. I tried it with Susie and I don't think it helped her, but it might be worth a try. She has this problem too, so I know how you feel!
Jen

luv my fur babies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby luv my fur babies » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:46 pm

I have tried the pumpkin. She loves it, but didn't notice a difference. I guess we're just stuck...

HAPBTR
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Over active..

Postby HAPBTR » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:07 pm

I am also a groomer, and my honest opnion would to express them weekly yourself. You can express them on the outside (So you do not have to do them internally) and this will keep it under control.

There really isn't any food or anything that can control the anal glads, Sorry :oops:

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:18 pm

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:18 pm

Shes leaked on our ouch on our blankets, our carpet..its really a huge problem...that its out of control. We really cannot have a dogf that does this, becuase it will ruin everything! We(fiancee), do not want to give her away , we love her. and noone would takle her with this leakage problem.

please dont even joke like that about giving her away due to her anal glands. i will GLADLY trade you a dog with defective anal glands over a dog with air allergies, hip displasia, food allergies, temperment issues, EPI, SIBO, oh yeah, and who is now incontinence at 6 years old.... i am constantly cleaning up her urine, have her on incontinence pills now, EPI enzymes, fungal antibiotics, hip displasia supplements, hell the list goes on..... so please , if you want i will gladly trade you your problem dog who needs some anal gland help for my girl who has had health problems since 9 months old....

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:29 pm

If you CAN'T find a fix for the problem, put a doggie diaper on her. I agree with MaryEllen, there's no reason to get rid of her for something like this.

luv my fur babies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby luv my fur babies » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:45 pm

Thanks for the movie link.

It doesn't cost a ton to get it done at the vets or a groomer...I used to take Georgia about once a month to get it done. Now she just gets it done whenever we just so happen to be at the groomer/vets anyway.

Chrissie
Newborn Bully

Postby Chrissie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:03 pm

thanks for the info guys..very helpful..and NOOOO I would never give her away.thats what I meant..when I posted and we don not want to give her away..,meaning its not an option. Shes part of the family, stinking donkey and all..LOL

Return to “Health Issues”