She's too fat?!?!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:40 pm

I'm having a hard time seeing the pictures of your dog, since my computer got bogged down bringing up an enormous picture of deedeesmom's dog, but what I see, she looks pretty chubby. As a rule, vets tend to err on the side of fat. They are so used to seeing overweight dogs, it seems normal to them. So if a vet says your dog needs to lose weight, I'd listen.

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:41 am

mr_ace5288 wrote:nice car :) lol

my husband thanks you :thumbsup:

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:23 am

Judging from the pictures I would say she could lose around 5-8 pounds but not 20. That seems a bit excessive. How much are you feeding right now? If you don't feed more than 2-3 cups a day just up the exercise without cutting food. For example if you are now walking 4 miles with the dog make it 5 and try to jog or sprint uphill. That will cut her weight down in no time and will add nice muscle tone.

aschen_enegl
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby aschen_enegl » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:49 pm

InBearsMemory wrote:Judging from the pictures I would say she could lose around 5-8 pounds but not 20. That seems a bit excessive. How much are you feeding right now? If you don't feed more than 2-3 cups a day just up the exercise without cutting food. For example if you are now walking 4 miles with the dog make it 5 and try to jog or sprint uphill. That will cut her weight down in no time and will add nice muscle tone.

I feed her 2 cups a day..but she doesn't eat it all half the time..she's somewhat of a picky eatter, and will only eat when your not home. She walks just about daily (when the weather isn't scorching or rainy) and gets alot of exercise in the back with Roscoe as well.. I can't really walk 4 miles a day, being pregnant has bogged down all my energy (especially being extremely ill) so it's more like a mile a day.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

aschen_enegl wrote:
InBearsMemory wrote:Judging from the pictures I would say she could lose around 5-8 pounds but not 20. That seems a bit excessive. How much are you feeding right now? If you don't feed more than 2-3 cups a day just up the exercise without cutting food. For example if you are now walking 4 miles with the dog make it 5 and try to jog or sprint uphill. That will cut her weight down in no time and will add nice muscle tone.

I feed her 2 cups a day..but she doesn't eat it all half the time..she's somewhat of a picky eatter, and will only eat when your not home. She walks just about daily (when the weather isn't scorching or rainy) and gets alot of exercise in the back with Roscoe as well.. I can't really walk 4 miles a day, being pregnant has bogged down all my energy (especially being extremely ill) so it's more like a mile a day.

I am very sorry, I didn't realize that you are pregnant and that's of course totally understandable that you won't be able to exercise her as much. If she likes to play fetch that would be a great way for her to shed a few pounds as well and it gives you the chance to sit out on the patio or backyard and enjoy the sun. But 2 cups a day isn't too much food in my opinion.
Do you leave her food around for her to go back to or do you put it up if she doesn't eat it?
If she doesn't touch it within 20-30 minutes just put it up and give it back to her next feeding time. That will definitely help with her being picky. That food will look mighty tasty after she misses a feeding time or two and those feeding times will also add structure to her day.

aschen_enegl
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby aschen_enegl » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:35 pm

InBearsMemory wrote:
aschen_enegl wrote:

I am very sorry, I didn't realize that you are pregnant and that's of course totally understandable that you won't be able to exercise her as much. If she likes to play fetch that would be a great way for her to shed a few pounds as well and it gives you the chance to sit out on the patio or backyard and enjoy the sun. But 2 cups a day isn't too much food in my opinion.
Do you leave her food around for her to go back to or do you put it up if she doesn't eat it?
If she doesn't touch it within 20-30 minutes just put it up and give it back to her next feeding time. That will definitely help with her being picky. That food will look mighty tasty after she misses a feeding time or two and those feeding times will also add structure to her day.

we leave her about a cup of food in the day time while were at work.. (she wont eat when your home, or even in a room near her..she's kinda weird like that..shy eatter I guess)..so she'll nibble on it while were gone..but not eat it all..then we'll feed her when we get home from work..another cup..and she'll eat while were asleep..but its never always gone either lol. Eva doesn't play fetch at all..she would much rather sit next to you or jump on ya..but she won't chase anything (guess she's a lil lazy LOL) she does however love chasing Roscoe..but no balls or frisbees..she just likes walks.

Stacy

Postby Stacy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:37 pm

Wow...seeing all these pics make me realize Jezebel is way overweight. Poor girl. :oops:

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Re:

Postby RodentRanger » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:42 pm

aschen_enegl wrote:we leave her about a cup of food in the day time while were at work.. (she wont eat when your home, or even in a room near her..she's kinda weird like that..shy eatter I guess)..so she'll nibble on it while were gone..but not eat it all..then we'll feed her when we get home from work..another cup..and she'll eat while were asleep..but its never always gone either lol. Eva doesn't play fetch at all..she would much rather sit next to you or jump on ya..but she won't chase anything (guess she's a lil lazy LOL) she does however love chasing Roscoe..but no balls or frisbees..she just likes walks.

My dogs used to be shy eaters also. My advice is to put the food down for 3 minutes. Leave the room if you have to, but she only gets access to the food for the 3 minutes. She'll eat or not. Do this for both meals one day. The next day, two minutes. The third day, one minutes. Most dogs will, by the third day, learn that when the food is put down, you need to eat it or go hungry. Most dogs will not go more than 3 days without eating. If she's a particularly slow eater (my Yoda has never finished his food in 3 minutes), you can go with 5, 4 and 3 minutes.
Free feeding often creates or worsens pickiness and eating issues.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:56 pm

if she's not eating it... maybe it's because she's not hungry. obviously she's not hurting for a meal. different dogs have different metabolisms. also, has hypothyroidism been ruled out?

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:04 pm

Stacy wrote:Wow...seeing all these pics make me realize Jezebel is way overweight. Poor girl. :oops:

Check out concreterose's Vicki and Solomon if you really want to feel your dog is fat! lol lol They make any dog look like a sausage! lol

concreterose

Re:

Postby concreterose » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:27 pm

aschen_enegl wrote:
InBearsMemory wrote:
aschen_enegl wrote:

we leave her about a cup of food in the day time while were at work.. (she wont eat when your home, or even in a room near her..she's kinda weird like that..shy eatter I guess)..so she'll nibble on it while were gone..but not eat it all..then we'll feed her when we get home from work..another cup..and she'll eat while were asleep..but its never always gone either lol. Eva doesn't play fetch at all..she would much rather sit next to you or jump on ya..but she won't chase anything (guess she's a lil lazy LOL) she does however love chasing Roscoe..but no balls or frisbees..she just likes walks.

I would stop free feeding her, no matter how much or how little she eats. You have created a picky eater. Dogs don't need food to be readily accessable. Put her food down, go about your business, don't hover around her, and if she doesn't eat, pick it up, her loss. She won't starve herself. It sounds like she is telling you she doesn't need as much food as you are giving her, probably because she is not very active.

My old gal Pookie (RIP) had a super slow metabolism, and being a young, inexperienced dog owner, I free fed her. I didn't feed her very much either, but she hung on to that weight pretty much her whole life, even though she was very active...she swam, climbed trees and played with other dogs until she got well up in age, but was always a little chunky monkey.

My current two dogs have set feeding times, and I have a much easier time regulating their weight...I wonder if free feeding has an effect on metabolism?

As far as exercise, since you are not feeling it with your pregnancy, do you have a treadmill that you could work her on? You could give it a slight incline to give her more of a workout.

Solomon didn't have much of a ball drive when I got him other than wanting to eat them. Fetch, IMO, is one of the best forms of conditioning for a dog. You can build drive for a ball if your dog doesn't have it naturally. Just make the ball an extra special toy, make a big deal out of it. When I was building his ball drive, the first thing I did was to play keep away with the ball for very short periods of time, which left him wanting more. Then I taught him to fetch using two balls, rolling the ball a really short distance, then calling him back, taught him to release using the other ball. Solomon is a fetching fool now, he will sit and stare where I keep the balls until I call him away from them.

You can also make a flirtpole to play with her with, keeping it low to the ground and just have her run back and forth at first, watching sharp turns until you get some weight off her. The flirt pole is another good conditioning tool as it gives the dog the opportunity to run and sprint. Not a lot of effort is needed from you either.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Re:

Postby snoopsnoop » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:42 pm

concreterose wrote: Solomon didn't have much of a ball drive when I got him other than wanting to eat them. Fetch, IMO, is one of the best forms of conditioning for a dog. You can build drive for a ball if your dog doesn't have it naturally. Just make the ball an extra special toy, make a big deal out of it. When I was building his ball drive, the first thing I did was to play keep away with the ball for very short periods of time, which left him wanting more. Then I taught him to fetch using two balls, rolling the ball a really short distance, then calling him back, taught him to release using the other ball. Solomon is a fetching fool now, he will sit and stare where I keep the balls until I call him away from them.

You can also make a flirtpole to play with her with, keeping it low to the ground and just have her run back and forth at first, watching sharp turns until you get some weight off her. The flirt pole is another good conditioning tool as it gives the dog the opportunity to run and sprint. Not a lot of effort is needed from you either.

lol--I can see Sol, sitting there, waiting to play ball. tell him if he wants a ball partner, all he has to do is call! I'd be MORE than happy to play ball with him till he falls down boom. lol

And OP--I totally 2nd the flirtpole thing. When i first met sol and vicki, i was amazed at their conditioning. I couldn't get over it. and I was told (verbatim, i think lol) "a flirtpole and some tennis shoes" lol I just put up a thread in the gallery just now (as my 1000th post! :)) ) about our flirtpole fun. They are easy to make, and the dogs have a blast. Another thing you might want to consider creating is a springpole. Do a PBF search for them, and there's a good thread or two on construction and what not. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:50 am

From the pics she does look to be carrying a fair bit of extra weight.
Certainly cut her food back,ecspecially if you can't up her exercise.
A dog who has not an ounce of fat on it has a good tuck up,waist etc,Wilma here was not as well muscled as usual here,as she was recovering from injury,and was on reduced exercise,but she doesn't look bad,you can see the hint of ribs when still,no spine or hipbones though,and a lovely tight tuck up.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:24 am

Concreterose- I am wondering if you "found" something with your free-feeding affecting metabolism question. I free-fed Hobie when I first got him because he was abused and starved and I felt sorry for him. BUT NOW he has always been slightly chunky since we got him and now that he is older he is a blimp. I can NOT get the weight off of him. He gets 1/2 can of green beans and a Tablespoon of kibble. we rotate low-fat vegetables and he still won't lose weight. He runs at least a mile a day and plays fetch etc. I think you may be right when you wondered if free-feeding affected metabolism.

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:24 am

Could she be getting into anyone elses food? Do you give her lots of treats?

Return to “Health Issues”