diarrhea!!!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
smoke
Newborn Bully

diarrhea!!!!!

Postby smoke » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:41 am

hello, my pup has had diarrhea for about two weeks now. shes gone to the the vet and she perfectly healthy, im starting to think its her food. i feed her eagle pack large to extra large puppy formula. What do you think the cause could be??? oh, and one more thing, how do i get her to stop eating her poop! :yucky:

smoke
Newborn Bully

Postby smoke » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:23 am

i didnt notice that there was a recent thread with the same exact name. lol lol

clownracer
Newborn Bully

Postby clownracer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:03 am

i never tried it but

http://www.1800petmeds.com/pdetail.asp?SK=1293

Deter Dog Coprophagia Treament 120 Tab Btl #1293
Deter Dog Coprophagia Treament 120 Tab Btl - #1293 (Click for Larger Image) Deter is a safe and effective easy to feed chewable tablet. It is used to stop dogs and puppies from consuming their own feces. Consumption of feces (coprophagia) is a common but disturbing habit in dogs. The cause of this behavior is unknown, but this product is formulated to stop this.
Deter Dog Coprophagia Treament 120 Tab Btl #1293 $9.99 Qty:

Price Match
8 Customer reviews
More Information

Brand Name
Deter (Eight In One Pet Products)

Active Ingredient(s)
Natural Fermented Vegetable Extract, Thiamine HCl, Capsicum Oleoresin.

What is this product used for
Deter is a safe and effective easy to feed chewable tablet. It is used to stop dogs and puppies from consuming their own feces. Consumption of feces (coprophagia) is a common but disturbing habit in dogs. The cause of this behavior is unknown, but this product is formulated to stop this.

Availability
Deter is a non-prescription (OTC) product.

How this product should be used
The recommended dose is 1 tablet for each 10 lbs of body weight given daily for 2 weeks. If results are not satisfactory, double the dosage and administer for 2 more weeks.

What are the side effects
There are no reported side effects.

What special precautions are there
For veterinary use in dogs only.

In the event of an overdose
Contact a veterinarian or veterinary emergency room.

How should I store this product
Store at room temperature. Keep out of the reach of children.

This information sheet is for educational purposes only and is intended to be a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise and professional judgment of your veterinarian. The information is NOT to be used for diagnosis or treatment of your pet. You should always consult your own veterinarian for specific advice concerning the treatment of your pet.

The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, allergic reactions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for your pet. It is not a substitute for a veterinary exam, and it does not replace the need for services provided by your veterinarian.

Note: Any trademarks are the property of their respective companies

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Re: diarrhea!!!!!

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:34 am

smoke wrote:hello, my pup has had diarrhea for about two weeks now. shes gone to the the vet and she perfectly healthy, im starting to think its her food. i feed her eagle pack large to extra large puppy formula. What do you think the cause could be??? oh, and one more thing, how do i get her to stop eating her poop! :yucky:

If she has a clean bill of health from the vet, it certainly could be that her food doesn't agree with her. Why are you feeding puppy food for extra large dogs? You could try a gradual switch to something else, see if she does better on that. Canned pumpkin also works very well for clearing up a bout of diarrhea.
The Deter will work for the coprophagia, but that gets expensive over time. Your best bet is to pick it up right away and not let her have access to it.

jessandace
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jessandace » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:38 am

when is the last time you took her to the vet?

2 weeks is a long time to be diarrhea-ing. they could at least give you something to maybe stop the soft poo.

:yucky:

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:48 pm

I would take her back to the vet (I'm assuming you weren't there yesterday). 2 weeks is too long to have diarrhea. Did the vet check for giardia (sp)?

If she has really bad diarrhea she is in danger of becoming dehydrated, you will need to make sure she is getting enough water, and possibly get her some electrolyte solution.

When my dogs get the runs (more than one poop like 2 or 3 consecutive poos) I give them a very bland meal of rice, or rice and boneless skinless boiled chicken (or cottage cheese) for a day sometimes two depending on the dog. That is very gentle on their tummy and usually clears up the runs. However if you think it is the food that could be causing the problem you will need to deal with that.

smoke
Newborn Bully

Postby smoke » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:02 pm

she was at the vet recently, mabey 2 or three days ago. they checked for everything and said she was fine. the vet gave me some pills for her so the diarrhea would stop, but it didnt work. last night i gave her some plain macaroni, (i dont know how to make rice without a rice cooker) im gonna see what her stool looks like after that.

Return to “Health Issues”