Friend's pit pup may have Parvo...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Strmbreez
Newborn Bully

Friend's pit pup may have Parvo...

Postby Strmbreez » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:47 pm

:sad:

My old roommates pit puppy seems to have Parvo. Just got a call from him about 30 mins. ago, asking if I can take him to the vet. I'm kinda pissed! It's not the money that worries me, though I don't really have that kinda spare change (about $150 just for check up and test) laying around. It's the fact that he's working on a damn car and can't pull himself away to go with me to the vet... I understand it's his job, but if that was my dog, I'd find a way to go.

So, I'm picking the pup up in two hours and driving to the vets office by 3:30 pst. I told the vet that I have my puppy at home, and asked what precautions I should take. She said to make sure I bleach whatever I wear (I'm just going to throw it away), to bleach the bottoms of my shoes (my berkies!) to wrap the pup in something that can be bleached or tossed so it doesn't touch the same seat that my Katana sits in. I don't know what to clean my hands with (someone pouring straight bleach on my palms doesn't sound so fun...) Is it bad of me to be more worried about my baby catching it than my friends dog having it???? I'm so selfish. At least Katana has had two of her three boosters, right on schedule. That makes me mad also, that even though I told him he needed to get his puppy shots, he didn't do it. DON'T HAVE A FREAKIN' DOG THEN!

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:41 pm

You're not being selfish. You're being SMART. Parvo is nasty.

Anything you can do to reduce the risk of accidentally transfering it to YOUR baby (or anyone elses for that matter) is acting responsible. As it is, you're friend not doing it himself and making YOU risk your own dog's health to help, is is rather selfish on his part! And there's no excuse for him not having his pup UTD on it's vaccinations.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:43 pm

Sounds to me like your friend doesn't deserve the puppy.

I hope the pup pulls through and is okay.

Thank you for at least trying to help the pup.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:53 pm

Not at ALL selfish...unless you're a fan of Ayn Rand and believe that selfishness is a virtue in many cases.

I'm not everydog's mom. I'm Abbie Lou and Shame's mom. Not only do I worry over their health issues more than I worry about any other dogs...I worry about them and care for them above MOST of the HUMANS on this planet!!!!!

Parvo's nasty, and your own family (furry or non) must take precedence over others' needs, or you're not doing right by your family.

*Fingerscrossed* for your friend's pup!!!! (Even if I'm grrrrr-ing just a little under my breath that his pup possibly having parvo isn't enough to get him to the vet with it.)

Strmbreez
Newborn Bully

Postby Strmbreez » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:52 pm

So, just got back from the vet. Sure 'nuff, Parvo it is. Poor baby. He was so good, laying there when they gave him the IV. I brought home three IV bags, some pedialite, some pepto bismo and a syringe. The doc said is was a weak positive (don't know what that means...) I'm gonna get some tea for him as well. I took him back over to my friend's workplace, and gave him a HUGE lecture on how the excuse of ignorance is not an excuse at all. Now, he knows that the puppy needs it's shots IF he makes it. I also told him about heartworm disease. Basically, I said the best cure for ANYTHING is to never get it in the first place. In other words, prevention. I am still so livid. I had never had a puppy before, but I educated myself and feel like I'm doing a pretty dang good job at my first go around.

And super glad to hear I'm not 'selfish'. I just felt bad, worrying about my babies health when this poor baby already had the disease. But I'm sorry, if I had to choose, my baby comes first. I went to my mom's and cleaned up. My truck needs to be cleaned, but I washed with bleach water and probably will not touch Katana's food or water for the next couple days. To be safe, I think I'm gonna clean a couple more times with bleach water. It's hell on my skin, but oh well... :sad:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:27 pm

no, your not being selfish
thank YOU for caring enough to help out that poor puppy too!
Parvo can lay in the soil for a looooooong time, so be sure to tell your firend to pick up all poop and pour bleach over the spot where the puppy made poop so other poor dogs don't get sick from it too?
I hope the poor pup make sit
There has been quite a few pups on here that did survive parvo, one was just a few days ago as a matter of a fact.
I will look for the link so you can order the parvaid tea if you don;t have it?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:31 pm

here is the link to the recent parvo pup thread
look in my post,(pblove) 4th one down from the top for the 'tea' links if you need them

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:38 pm

mods are going to love me making all these posts in a row :bully:
I forgot the dam link
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=71479

Return to “Health Issues”