Choosing a vet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SpudsBud

Choosing a vet

Postby SpudsBud » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:54 pm

I went to check out some of the other vet clinics in town on Friday. One was dirty with a mean receptionist who didn't even look up at me, so scratch that one. The other was clean and friendly but they sold Iams products. I asked the receptionist why they sold a grocery store brand and she said that the Eukanuba Veterinary diets are the best on the market...uhh...riiight.... :huh?:
There's only one more clinic in town that I havn't checked out. Should I be judging these places on the food they sell or is that something beyond their control?

blover27

Postby blover27 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:01 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned with the food they push chris...pat always says that most vets don't know squat about nutrition...perhaps she will have more insight for you next time she is online

ammitnme
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ammitnme » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:02 pm

My vet sells crap for dog food...but he loves my dog!!!! He stood up for our breeds at the BSL hearings and although he isnt specifically a "dog vet", he does lge. animals also...he has a kind heart, is good with Ammit and saved her life in an emergency situation once. I dont know what to tell you....I know if I had made a decision on his bitchy receptionist I would have never met him (and she is a *****). I guess I would make an appointment to sit down and talk to the vet and his techs...ask to see the kennels...find out as much as you can about them. If you are comfortable with them, your dog will be too.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:29 pm

i wouldn't pick a vet based on the food they sell. pretty much all vet hospitals sell prescription food, whether it be eukanuba or hill's or royal canin or whatever.

i'd make an appointment and talk with the vet, see how s/he acts with your dog, how your dog responds, etc. and go from there.

good luck! i have to find a new vet soon as the two that have been seeing my animals are retiring, and i'm sooooo stressed out about it.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:39 pm

There are only a few vets around here that sell anything worth feeding. If The choice should be based on how you respond to the vet. If they give you the time and answer your questions, don't brush you off or make you feel stupid??? It's a good vet. The second test is your dog, if they like him? Perfect. There are three vets at my clinic, my dogs don't respond as well to the two women as they do to Bill, maybe that's me???? I don't know, I do know they looked at me like there was something wrong with me when I brough Garion in............. :dunno: I don't see them unless Bill isn't available or it's an emergency.

Odnarb

Re: Choosing a vet

Postby Odnarb » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:55 pm

CHRIS09 wrote:I went to check out some of the other vet clinics in town on Friday. One was dirty with a mean receptionist who didn't even look up at me, so scratch that one. The other was clean and friendly but they sold Iams products. I asked the receptionist why they sold a grocery store brand and she said that the Eukanuba Veterinary diets are the best on the market...uhh...riiight.... :huh?:
There's only one more clinic in town that I havn't checked out. Should I be judging these places on the food they sell or is that something beyond their control?

All of the veterinary diets suck. If you can point me in the right direction of one that doesn't, please do. I'd like to carry it at the clinic. Unfortuantely, they occasionally do have their place.

Royal Canin/Walthams, IVD, and Purina - Major PITA to get, ordering sucks, customer service is terrible. Drop shipped, comes in tons of boxes that you have to unpack. Takes between 2 days and 2 weeks to arrive. Not dependable. At one time, IVD was pretty much unavailable in the US. Not good.

Hill's & Eukanuba - Good customer service, comes regularly on a truck. Very dependable. Hill's has better service, but (IMO) the diets are much lower quality.

So, we carry Eukanuba as our main diet. We don't carry any of the regular foods, we refer out for maintenance diets.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:04 pm

Aimee,
What about carrying something like Nature's Variety, they are distributed through Animal Supply, they deliver weekly, the driver unloads, very reliable, friendly, easy to deal with. I don't know what they have for minimums but ............. it's way better than Euk.........

It's not prescription so I doubt if it would apply, and I've never heard of or read a prescription diet that wasn't crap.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:58 pm

barbponys wrote:It's not prescription so I doubt if it would apply, and I've never heard of or read a prescription diet that wasn't crap.

Yeah, it's the prescription lines that I'm looking for, and they all suck! LOL

As far as Maint diets go, it's easier to just send them to the pet store. There's a place two blocks up the road that has Canidae, Timberwolf Organics, Wellness, etc.

You don't by chance have contact info for Independant Pet Supply, do you?

Return to “Health Issues”