Rawhide = piss and piss alot?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitBoxer
Adolescent Bully

Rawhide = piss and piss alot?

Postby PitBoxer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:28 pm

I gave Vida her first rawhide the other day, and like she was obsessed with it and it kept her busy so I didnt have to watch her every move, but about an hour and half, she was eating it at this point and well she pissed in the house she is odd, even though she has accidents here and there, she is pretty well house broken(8 months.) but not only once, 3 TIMES in a row, and it was a fair amount each time.. then I take her outside and she pisses 2 more times, again a fair amount each time.. whats the deal with that? She hasnt done anything like this before.. or after, so I doubt its a health issue.

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:30 pm

I know my dogs will drink a lot of water while they are having a good chew.

Carla

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:27 pm

Carla wrote:I know my dogs will drink a lot of water while they are having a good chew.

Carla

Kane does the same. So I make sure I get him out to potty quicker.

PitBoxer
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitBoxer » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:14 pm

Yeah but she didnt drink nothing while chewing at all..

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:03 pm

I would stay away from rawhides all together. I have heard of too many bowel obstruction stories due to them. I give my girls Nylabones, which seem to keep them occupied. I know people whose dogs have broken their teeth on them, but my girls are all young, and they are a lot safer than rawhide.

midwestdrifter13
Newborn Bully

Postby midwestdrifter13 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:30 pm

AriesGodofWar wrote:I would stay away from rawhides all together. I have heard of too many bowel obstruction stories due to them. I give my girls Nylabones, which seem to keep them occupied. I know people whose dogs have broken their teeth on them, but my girls are all young, and they are a lot safer than rawhide.

I heard the Rawhides can have some nasty stuff coating them too!!! :yucky:

demo-dog
Adolescent Bully

Postby demo-dog » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:44 pm

Alot of those treats can cause a diuretic response in the system from the crap they use to make the treats. So, regardless of the amount of water consumed during treat chewing time, the dog still has to piss like a horse soon thereafter.

I too avoid rawhides. They can indeed cause problems. I give my dogs treats and give them rope toys to chew on and tear up, along with small tires and kongs, and real bones too.

imperiumx1st

Postby imperiumx1st » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:10 am

i give real bones :)

SianMT
Matured Bully

Postby SianMT » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:57 am

I would keep an eye on her when she has a rawhide chew. With mine, rawhide = puke and puke a lot.

Also, if your dog swallows huge pieces (like mine tries to), it could cause some serious problems!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:55 am

I agree. Too many dogs have choked on them, for my tastes.
We do give Pork rawhides which are at least digestible and I've not had choking with them. They are richer so don't give as frequently.
Also look into Bully Sticks. Dogs love them and they clean the teeth better, I think, than other chews.

Return to “Health Issues”