Bad Meat?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Bad Meat?

Postby Rinalia » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:52 pm

The day before yesterday (Wednesday), Mina vomitted approximately 1/2 hour after her bone meal. She threw up the chicken thigh and what appeared to be the ground meat she consumed earlier. I attributed this reaction to my poor decision to feed her the bone a mere 30 minutes after some hard exercise. She seemed fine Thursday - no problem holding down her food (I fed her a bit less).

Today, she threw up again (again a 1/2 hour after eating a chicken thigh). She didn't have any hard exercise today, though she did go the vet this morning (a stressor). I didn't mention the vomitting to the vet, because I thought it had been from feeding too close to exercising and she had gone 24 + hours without throwing up.

Is it possible the bone or ground meat reacted poorly with Mina? I think I'll buy new meat and bones, just to be on the anal-retentive side. Any other thoughts? Any suggestions on how to make Mina's tummy feel better?

Thanks.

incorigabull
Newborn Bully

Postby incorigabull » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:17 pm

I've fed my dogs some pretty rank meat( past what I'd consume) and they don't have a problem with it. They've been eating raw for quite awhile. I do notice sometime they will regurgitate bones and consume them again, especially if they scarfed it and didn't chew well.

Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Rinalia » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:45 pm

incorigabull wrote:I've fed my dogs some pretty rank meat( past what I'd consume) and they don't have a problem with it. They've been eating raw for quite awhile. I do notice sometime they will regurgitate bones and consume them again, especially if they scarfed it and didn't chew well.

Mina has a rather sensitive stomach, but upon reflection, I don't think the meat is "bad" anyways. (Mina's only been on a raw diet for two months now).

I'm leaning towards Mina's either going through a detox or has a itty-bitty blockage. I fasted her for 24-hours and have given her two meals today of cottage cheese and chicken broth along with digestive enzymes and probiotics. So far, no throwing up. We'll see how the rest of the day goes, though.

Wooderson
Super Bully
Location: Kiev, Ukraine, around the corner from the Republic Stadium, near the downtown MegaMart

Postby Wooderson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:50 am

Redhead got calves' brains yesterday and this AM. My wife called me to report that now he has diahrrea and his farts are out of control,

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:29 am

It's my understanding that throwing up somtimes, even for a few days, is not that big of a deal. Some dogs will even go eat what they threw up a few hours later. I highly doubt that it's bad meat, it would have to be REALLY rank to make a dog sick. Also I've read about dogs doing fine when they first start raw but then haivng the "detox" thing a month or so later. Maybe this is what's happening? Maybe just do meat for a while and then slowly reintroduce bone when she's keeping the meat down reliably. Good luck!!

Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Rinalia » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:03 pm

1lila1 wrote:It's my understanding that throwing up somtimes, even for a few days, is not that big of a deal. Some dogs will even go eat what they threw up a few hours later. I highly doubt that it's bad meat, it would have to be REALLY rank to make a dog sick. Also I've read about dogs doing fine when they first start raw but then haivng the "detox" thing a month or so later. Maybe this is what's happening? Maybe just do meat for a while and then slowly reintroduce bone when she's keeping the meat down reliably. Good luck!!

Thanks! I think you're right that it wasn't bad meat.

I'm glad I didn't go the overparanoid route and rush her to the e-vet. I'm thinking it might be part of detox. I stopped the bone and have just given her meat with cottage cheese, chicken broth and some digestive enzymes + probiotics. She pooped beautifully (heh, don't hear that too often) and hasn't thrown up.

Return to “Health Issues”