Reaction to Advantage?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Reaction to Advantage?

Postby drtrider2000 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:01 pm

I tried to search for a similar topic but haven't had any lock, so I'll ask here:
Has anyone had a problem with their dogs having adverse reactions to Advantage? Bella got a bath Sunday morning, relaxed the rest of the day due to the heat. Around 8pm, i gave her her monthly dosage of Advantage, then about 9pm, we went out for our nightly walk/play session. When we got home, she was exceptionally thirsty, but i didn't think much about it, because we tend to play pretty hard...lots of fetch with her tire, and some tug-o-war....she also ate. About 5 minutes later, she started making a choking noise, and spit up her food....I really didn't get too alarmed, i just thought she ate, and drank too much, too fast...she came in and laid down, and was breathing very hard, and fast...as soon as she seemed relaxed, she jumped up and made that same "heaving" noise, and ran for the back door....this went on for an hour or so, she never actually threw up again though. she slept through the night, and today, she seems ok, just not 100% herself...she seems a little skiddish, and doesn't seem to want me to leave her side....any ideas? BTW her poop seems normal, and shes peeing normally too...maybe i'm just being a bit over protective?

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:35 pm

One of my dogs can't tolerate Advantage. She gets nauseous (heaves and vomits) and lethargic and just kind of out of it for about 12 hours after application.
Is this the first time you've used Advantage? I guess the only way to know for sure would be to wait until it's time for another dose and try it again. See if you get the same results. Might just be a coincidence, though, since you said she ate and drank a lot of water after exercising. That can cause a pup not to feel so good.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:43 pm

they can also get sick from eaitng too soon after exerciise
rule of thump is no food for two hours before or after exercisng dogs

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:18 pm

pblove wrote:they can also get sick from eaitng too soon after exerciise

Two hours after exercise is a bit much. Especially if you have an athletic animal like an APBT that doesn't have much body fat. If you wait that long after exercise it will burn muscle instead to restore "the batteries". Usually a half hour after exercise is plenty of time or as soon as your dog starts breathing normal (no panting etc.).

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Re:

Postby drtrider2000 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:34 pm

InBearsMemory wrote:
pblove wrote:they can also get sick from eaitng too soon after exerciise

Two hours after exercise is a bit much. Especially if you have an athletic animal like an APBT that doesn't have much body fat. If you wait that long after exercise it will burn muscle instead to restore "the batteries". Usually a half hour after exercise is plenty of time or as soon as your dog starts breathing normal (no panting etc.).

I think we might be on to something here....she usually eats imediatly after excercise, and we got a little crazy last night....maybe eating too soon, and a bit of heat exhaustion( at 9:30 pm it was still over 80 degrees last night)..she's at about 95% now.

SianMT
Matured Bully

Postby SianMT » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:46 pm

Bosco gets itchy where the Advantix is applied. I think it tingles or burns a little. Without a doubt it's a poison, so make sure you apply it where the dog absolutely cannot get to it with its mouth, or rub it off on chew toys or comsumable items.

Also, if your dog has a "grooming relationship" with your kitty, keep kitty away from dog for several days !

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:16 pm

SianMT wrote:Bosco gets itchy where the Advantix is applied. I think it tingles or burns a little. Without a doubt it's a poison, so make sure you apply it where the dog absolutely cannot get to it with its mouth, or rub it off on chew toys or comsumable items.

Also, if your dog has a "grooming relationship" with your kitty, keep kitty away from dog for several days !

Interesting point! Phoebe (out Yorkshire TERROR) got her treatment as well...maybe Bella got a lick of that??...she seems fine now, but i'll be more careful next time to do Phoebe right before Bella and i leave for work.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:45 pm

Kailie quit breathing the one time I used Advantage on her. I use Frontline in Yoda (he likes water), Advantage on the cat and ferrets when neccesary, and Natural Defense on Kailie. I only use it if I see creepy crawlies though, not on a monthly basis.
I have only used it maybe four times in as many years. And everytime I've had to use it was after my BIL's nasty flea bag dog comes over because hubby won't tell him he can't bring the beast here. I believe that good nutrition significantly helps with parasites of all kinds-even fleas.

Return to “Health Issues”