Something wrong with this dog?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
goalie35

Something wrong with this dog?

Postby goalie35 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:35 pm

I'm looking at buying/rescuing a pit bull, but I also know I don't just want to buy any dog I see. I like how this one looks, but I'm also wondering if theres something wrong with it? If its allowed can I please post a pic of it so I can get other people's input on it.

Thanks.Alex

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:48 pm

either you are going to buy one from a breeder, or rescue one from a shelter/rescue group..

post the pic and lets take a look... dont forget, TEMPERMENT is much more important then looks, then comes Health.. then looks...

goalie35

Postby goalie35 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:59 pm

http://www.freewebs.com/louthoj/male.htm

im wondering if theres something wrong with his chin/mouth area. it just seems red/pink to me. the female and other male FS also look kinda wrong. their eyes are very pink/red.[/img]

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:01 pm

$400? You can rescue a healthy adult for less than that AND it will already be speutered and UTD on shots.

goalie35

Postby goalie35 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:03 pm

i was searching on a different site and just saw that these dogs were FS locally so I was just wondering if they looked healthy or not.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:05 pm

His mouth looks fine, but I bet the local shelters and rescues have a better selection of dogs, and you'll feel good for saving a dog from euthanasia.

And pictures are allowed, but you can't link to breeder's sites.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:06 pm

ookkk.. the female her feet look splayed, and are VERY dirty.. which means POOR living conditions.. the males chin is red, like either irritated or has mange..

not for nothing, but i wouldnt waste any money on these two dogs. you dont know their temperment, or their health..

for $250 you can go to a rescue from www.pbrc.net and get a dog that is healthy , neutered, or spayed, has their vaccines, and has been temperment tested and are sound.. you can even go to our rescue site here under Rescue and find a TON of dogs that are in better shape then those two ...

i personally would pass on those two.

goalie35

Postby goalie35 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:13 pm

does that rescue site transport?

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:18 pm

Sometimes. Check out www.petfinder.com for rescues near you! I bet there's plenty.

Honestly, I'm happier with my adopted dogs than any dog I've ever purchased!

Oh, and there is also a classfied section on Petfinder for dogs that need new homes that are not in rescues or shelters. Many times someone cannot keep their dogs for whatever reason, and want maybe $50 or $100 to ensure the dog gets a good home. That is how I got my shar pei, but the lady did not even follow through on the adoption fee because she just wanted him to be happy.

I know sometimes dealing with rescues and shelters can be intimidating, so if that's not your thing, try finding a dog that needs re-homing.

sara
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sara » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 pm

Whew! DITTO on the previous posts! Don't go to a place that places merit on the size of a dogs' head. $700 for a dog that "comes with paper"! Papers really don't mean anything. They aren't even saying what papers they are.
You are right -- they don't look healthy. Aside from the dirty (and splayed) feet, what is the goop (blood?) around the eyes on all of them? In the females eyes it looks like there is swelling. These dogs are also pretty old -- are they being rehomed? One of them is over a year, others 5 1/2 months. Looks like puppies they couldn't "get rid of" probably due to poor health. Go to a rescue. I got a dog from one, she was thin, but healthy -- and now she is healthy as a horse and appears to be sound (much more than these dogs). Like Allie said -- I paid $100 and that included spay surgery, microchip, etc.

Ha ha -- I was able to post a guestbook signature without leaving an email address. I was just testing. TRY IT.

goalie35

Postby goalie35 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:35 pm

if anyone wants to pm me with other tips of what to look for while picking a dog please feel free to do so. i would appreciate it! Thanks. Alex

sara
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sara » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:43 pm

And I'm sure we will all be willing to help again when you have found another source. I'm glad you posted here about these dogs. It could have been a major mistake. I hope we didn't run you off! You were right with your thoughts that something just didn't look right (healthy) with them!

goalie35

Postby goalie35 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:48 pm

petfinder didnt have any in my area in the classifieds, but thay have some very nice dogs in the state that i would be willing to travel to get.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:10 pm

goalie35 wrote:petfinder didnt have any in my area in the classifieds, but thay have some very nice dogs in the state that i would be willing to travel to get.

Email or call the rescues. I love people who are willing to travel to pick up the dog they are adopting :)

goalie35

Postby goalie35 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:25 pm

i did e-mail the one place that has the dog that i liked a lot

Return to “Health Issues”