When to switch to adult food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
GTiSTiLE
Newborn Bully

When to switch to adult food?

Postby GTiSTiLE » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:38 am

Lucy just turned a Year old and ran out of food just yesterday. the food i feed says to feed puppy food up untill one year. is it time to switch to adult food or should i keep her on the puppy food for a bit longer?

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:28 am

My dog ate adult (all ages) Canidae all his life.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Re: When to switch to adult food?

Postby snoopsnoop » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:50 pm

GTiSTiLE wrote:Lucy just turned a Year old and ran out of food just yesterday. the food i feed says to feed puppy food up untill one year. is it time to switch to adult food or should i keep her on the puppy food for a bit longer?

Well if Lucy just turned 1 year, wouldn't she then be old enough for the adult food? :huh?:

I switched over to an all life stages food (Merrick) when my dog was 9 months old. If you aren't comfortable feeding straight adult food, try to find an all life stages food like Merrick or Canidae.

There are a couple members who don't feed puppy food at all. They feed the dogs adult food from the get-go.

xjerseyzfinestx
Newborn Bully

Postby xjerseyzfinestx » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:44 pm

champ was 10 monthswhen he switched to adult food...lol nothing was funnier than his look on his face when he seen the adult food in his bowl...tilt his head and bascially asked me "what the hell is this".....2 minutes later the food was gone

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:53 pm

Good question. I've been thinking of switching Helena soon. She is 7 months old now. She has been eating Chicken Soup brand. She is looking great and I don't really want her to get much bigger. I heard if you continue feeding puppy for awhile they will continue to grow.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:42 pm

Shes Got Heart wrote:Good question. I've been thinking of switching Helena soon. She is 7 months old now. She has been eating Chicken Soup brand. She is looking great and I don't really want her to get much bigger. I heard if you continue feeding puppy for awhile they will continue to grow.

Dogs will grow to their genetic potential. You can't make them grow bigger by feeding them a particular formula longer or over feeding them. I haven't fed puppy food in more than a decade. All my pups, foster and otherwise, eat adult dry or raw. I have a 100 pound monster, the guy in my avatar, and he has eaten Twolfs Elk from day one. He's been on raw from day one as well. I adopted him at 9 weeks.

vader15
Newborn Bully

Postby vader15 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:34 pm

so how many months do you think is best for ur dog when u switch his food to adult food?

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:48 pm

I would think anytime after 6 months is fine. Some people do it before. If you really want to be sure call your vet and ask what they suggest.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:50 pm

vader15 wrote:so how many months do you think is best for ur dog when u switch his food to adult food?

it depends on you. Some wait till 12 months, others feed adult from day one. The dog usually stops growing tall at 7-9 months. I used to tell customers when i demo-ed for dog food that they could switch then.

vader15
Newborn Bully

Postby vader15 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:03 pm

thanks for the advice! i think ill w8 till shes 8/9months! then ill go for adult food!
:peace:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:06 pm

You should switch once your dog has reached their maximum growth. The larger the dog, the longer you should wait. If your pup is still growing quickly (some dogs have growth spurts between 7-10 months) then your pup should stay on puppy food.

A good quality adult food should be just fine for the pup who just turned a year old.

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:53 am

Never, if it suits you. All my dogs eat puppy food, and will continue to do so. it doesn't have "magic" puppy ingredients in it. It is just a food with maybe a bit more, or less of certain ingredients. I happen to like what is in my food, so my dogs will eat, period. They all are in good shape, have nice coats, and good energy, so clearly they aren't suffering from "puppyitis" or anything.
Good Luck
Beckerhead :) :)

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:20 am

Most Dane and Mastiff people take their pups off "growth" formula by 4 months. At least the breeders I've dealt with do, they run into fewer growth issues. Some don't even feed puppy foods anymore, they put them on a high quality adult at weaning.

Return to “Health Issues”