storage mite question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

storage mite question

Postby Maryellen » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:58 pm

since jesse is allergic to storage mites in dry food, if the food is soaked in water will that take the storage mites away? she eats raw, but i was curious for emergency purposes if she could have kibble if it was soaked in water or would the storage mites still be there?

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:52 am

as a side note - can you see the mites? I was scruitinizing yesterday (on a fairly new bag) and didn't see any....(yet?)???

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:06 am

No, you cannot see the mites. They're like dust mites.
ME, I'm not sure if water will make the mites go away. However, if you are doing the immunotherapy shots, I don't think it will matter if you feed kibble or not.
If I remember correctly, Sidney and Jesse's storage mite numbers were nearly the same. Sidney eats kibble on a regular basis, with the occasional raw meal here & there.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:32 am

she is getting the shots, but i wanted to see if i could give her kibble if i had to.
have Sidney had any more reactions with the allergy shots while feeding kibble?

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:06 pm

She will have the occasional staph infection on her face, but for the most part she is just like a normal dog now. Allergy shots at least once a week, Zymox once every week to two weeks, and that's it. Finally.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:09 pm

I don't know didley about storage mites, but I know that with rodent food, we would store it in the freezer to kill any nasties (larvae) that might be in it.
Could that work?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:15 pm

sounds like it could work for jesse.. i have her right now on clavamox, ketaconzonole(fungus med), pancreatin 6x and baytril and syntec(for her ears) plus her allergy serum. i think that after she has a while under her belt with the allergy meds i will try the kibble just to see how she does.

she gets her allergy shots once a week then when the new bottle starts we go back to every 4 days for a few shots. she does ok, but to be honest i havent really seen a huge improvement except she doesnt shake her head anymore.. other then that she is still building up yeast in her ears and her anus. how long does the allergy serum take to show a difference that its working? she is on her 2nd bottle, and will be taking her third in the next 2 weeks.(so that would make it 3 months.)

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:37 pm

Don't feel discouraged, ME. When we started the shots, we were warned that we probably would see results for at least 6 months. I didn't see any real results with the allergy shots until Sidney was on them for nearly a year. My vet told me to stick it out and I'm really glad I did.
Give Jesse a big hug for me.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:38 pm

(That's supposed to read "probably WOULDN'T see results for at least 6 months")

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:42 pm

oh thank you! now i know i have to wait longer to see some results..
give sidney a hug from me too..jesse says thank you!!

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:43 pm

I've also been doing some research on the storage mite issue. It's better to buy smaller bags of food (ie. what you're going to use in the immediate future) rather than stocking up because the food just sitting there gives the mites time to multiply. You should also remove the food from the bag it came in and store it in an air tight container in a cool, dry place. The container you use should be thoroughly washed out each time it's emptied so that the dust and crumbs left behind don't sit and mix in with the new, fresher food.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:47 pm

i used to do that, put the food in an airtight container, but the storage mites are on the food, so its hard to get rid of them all. i am going to see how she does w/ the allergy serum and then give it a try (not everyone even likes looking at raw food, so if i need a sitter i have to be able to give jesse kibble for safety and the sitters piece of mind if i cant find one that feeds raw, or if i have to kennel them, most kennels wont feed raw..)

Return to “Health Issues”