Yeast infection

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Yeast infection

Postby Linariel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:39 pm

So Butters has an ongoing yeast infection. I've read all the threads here about them, but I'm still confused on treatment.

I know a culture at the vet is $45, then $35 for the office visit. The culture and the exam would eat up my savings account at this time, leaving no money to get the treatment.

So what I'm wondering is, is there a way to get the treatment for yeast infections over the counter? If so, what do I need to purchase?

I clean his ears regularly with liquid wash, but he's got the yeast on his belly, inner legs, in his nails, and between his toes. He's got all the signs of a yeast infection, and since as far as I know the treatment won't use scary chemicals or cause any harm, I'd like to go ahead and do it.

I guess if it comes back I might need to try a hypoallergenic food for him.

Thanks for any help.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:44 pm

it depends on what kind of yeast it is.. most yeasts come from an infection or allergies. (jesse's are due to her allergies)

you can get malasaab wipes and spray and try that, but until you find out WHY butters has the yeast you wont know what is causing it and how to treat it..'

sharpeis are known for skin issues, keeping the folds clean and dry is a major necessity.. and they are known for allergies as well..

you could try an elimination diet to start out, and go from there.. i totally feel your pain.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:48 pm

But malaseb will treat any kind of yeast?

He didn't have it when I got him, so I hope it's not allergies. (He was eating really bad food then, and living outside, so I think it hopefully would have flared up then)

So if I try an elimination diet and I take away the thing he's allergic to, will the yeast disappear on it's own, or still need to be treated?

The yeast doesn't appear to be in any of his wrinkles. I've just been bathing him weekly and trying to keep it in check.

Thanks for the info.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:03 pm

malasaab will treat some, but i dont think all.. its such a pain , yeast, because it could be food related or airborne related where the immune system gets weak and the infection flames up worse.. i can tell you with jesse, when her allergies flare up her ears get super yeasty, and her anus does too.. i treat her with fungal meds and baytril and synotec, and it works, but you have to treat it for longer then normal..

if he didnt have a yeast infection when yo got him and then developed one after, it could be the food ... or he could have a crappy immune system and be allergic to grass or something....

what food are you feeding him?

its possible that the yeast could go away on its own if you eliminate the source, it depends on the dogs immune system.. you could also try to boost it with DMG Immune liquid, vitamin c, and bee pollen..

i can tell you that jesse's yeast NEVER goes away on its own.. i always have to treat it medically...

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:18 pm

He is eating Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. He's been on the lamb and rice formula for like two months before and that didn't seem to make a difference either.

I think I will try a food like fish and potato(Oh God, the gas he gets on new food)

I will try adding some vitamin C and maybe a touch of garlic too.
I'm also going to order Malaseb shampoo and wipes.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:28 pm

so he was fine when you first got him? when you switched his food is that when he started getting all yeasty?

i would bring him to the vet to find out what kind of yeast it is, this way then you can get the right stuff to treat him..

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:32 pm

No, he got yeasty a few months after I got him. I've had him for almost a year now.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:35 pm

honestly, Lin> Things didn't get better until we eliminated 99% of all carbs from Fran's diet.

and the yeast crap still flares up - in fact, she's got one now.

It was a combo of being in hot and more humid San Diego, then her mom's leaving for vacation and finding a 3 pound container of cat kibble for my mom's feral cats.

we also do a lot of salmon oil regularly and try to keep her skin dry and clean

but really it's a constant battle.

sorry, Butters! Franny send itchy thoughts.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:38 pm

Hm...maybe raw would be the way to go with him.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:28 pm

The humidity does seem to excerbate yeast overgrowth...Vicki has been having a mild flare up the past couple weeks. Giving her the natural cortisone really keeps it at bay, as well as not giving her ANY grains during this time.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:13 pm

concreterose wrote: Giving her the natural cortisone really keeps it at bay,

What exactly do you use Mil?

We do calendula cream and a dusting of corn starch and then a wipe off to keep her inner thighs dry.

We hate summer around here - I could onlt imagine how miserable she'd be if we lived somewhere with real humidity.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:35 pm

FransterDoo wrote:
concreterose wrote: Giving her the natural cortisone really keeps it at bay,

What exactly do you use Mil?

We do calendula cream and a dusting of corn starch and then a wipe off to keep her inner thighs dry.

We hate summer around here - I could onlt imagine how miserable she'd be if we lived somewhere with real humidity.

My vet orders it from Here.
I first got it from Marina Zacharias, but she insisted that the only way she would keep getting it for me was if I combined it with chinese herbs, which I was not interested in doing, because it works great alone. So I told me vet about it and asked him would he be willing to continue filling the script, and he was fine with it.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:52 pm

cool.

we have an appointment Friday so I'll ask.

y'all make me feel slightly better that we aren't to only ones dealing with this right now.

Sage
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sage » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:25 am

I feed Nature's Recipe and Sushi's yeast has finally gone away on her belly.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:47 am

concreterose wrote:The humidity does seem to excerbate yeast overgrowth...Vicki has been having a mild flare up the past couple weeks. Giving her the natural cortisone really keeps it at bay, as well as not giving her ANY grains during this time.

Chicago has had really bad humidity the past week and I notice Molly is affected by it. She hasn't had a problem with her ears in a very long time but one of her ears is bothering her and she is licking one of her paws excessively (she hasn't done this in ages either). When it is so humid outside, I don't do much outside with the dogs. I can just imagine if we didn't have AC.

Return to “Health Issues”