Yeast infection

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:51 am

I also read that letting them lay in the sun helps to dry it out. I'm trying to find the perfect amount of time....enough to help combat the yeast but not so much that the baldy gets a sunburn.
My vet didn't do a culture. He looked at her, sniffed her and said "Your dog is covered in yeast." She smells pretty nasty. She goes on oral antifungals (ketoconazole) when it gets really bad and I bathe her with a hypoallergenic shampoo followed by ketochlor or malaseb shampoo and dry her off really really well (advantage to being bald!) I bathe her twice a week when she's havinga flare-up, otherwise only when she's gross. You can also wipe down the bad spots with vinegar/water solution (1:5 to 1:10 ratio). Revivalanimalhealth.com has the lowest prices I've seen on the malaseb products.
Good luck!

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:38 pm

Dry heat yes but I wouldn't let Molly sit outside when it is so humid.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:20 pm

I have another question. Do dogs need pills to clear up infections that are in the toenails? Or can those be treated topically?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:04 pm

Linariel wrote:I have another question. Do dogs need pills to clear up infections that are in the toenails? Or can those be treated topically?

You can try spraying them with a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water, or use malaseb spray or wipes...that's what the vet usually did when vicki's feet were yeasty or for fungus.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:13 pm

I'm going to try Malaseb because it has a residual effect.

Did she ever get the icky brown in her toenails? I'm not sure if that that needs to be treated differently. His feet and his nails are pretty gross, and so is his skin. He ruins every collar I put on him, which is depressing.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:26 pm

Lina, Molly gets brown toenails when she has an outbreak and I treat them with the pads and they work like a charm. :thumbsup:

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Cool. Some things I read said it was fine, and some said it was impossible to treat nail infections topically.

This poor guy needs to stop stinking, so I'm getting him some Malaseb.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:00 pm

It took awhile for the nail infection to clear up.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:03 pm

I wonder if the shampoo will work? I was going to order from the Dr's site, but they don't have wipes. I need some other stuff from them, so it'd be good if I could get it all in one place.

So if topical treatment works, why do people ever administer anti-yeast pills?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:04 pm

Linariel wrote:I'm going to try Malaseb because it has a residual effect.

Did she ever get the icky brown in her toenails? I'm not sure if that that needs to be treated differently. His feet and his nails are pretty gross, and so is his skin. He ruins every collar I put on him, which is depressing.

Yes, she got the rusty, brown gook right down by her nail bed. The malaseb really seemed to burn her and she would lick it off, so I switched to the vinegar. The malaseb DID work though, it just made her really miserable.

Return to “Health Issues”