Any BARF Tips?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
JessaNGizmo

Any BARF Tips?

Postby JessaNGizmo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:21 pm

Switching on Saturday and would like to see if any one has any tips?!? Going thru a local distributor and my local work/walmart for all of it! Let me know!
Jessa

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:14 pm

Jessa,
What parameters are you looking for? Feeding amounts, mixes, philosophies??

JessaNGizmo

Postby JessaNGizmo » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:29 am

Ive read alot but I would love some help on setting up a daily/monthly menu and supplements ya all use...Just basics.. I guess... any tips...
Jessa

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:03 pm

Are you wanting to do a combo of raw vs. BARF? I believe that veggies are very necessary for micronutrients. I don't feed a lot of them but they do get them. I don't supplement with vit/min. but I do use oil. I make my veggie mixes based on color.

I use only dark leafy greens, collards, swiss chard, kale, and mustard greens. I don't as a general rule use any of the lettuces.

I don't use peas, corn, potatoes, or rutabagas(they don't like rutabaga).

So each mix has red, green, yellow, orange and white in it. I mix up the contents so they don't get bored. I will sometimes add yogurt to the mix but usually do it when I feed.

Portions are going to be based on weight, age and activity level. Garion gets a lot more than Sasha, they weigh about the same but he's growing and she is older and slower.

Schnubbel

Postby Schnubbel » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:29 pm

My dogs get meat, bones, windpipes, pharynx, rumen. The little one loves her veggies. I'd get a nutrion chart for humans showing how much calcium/phospor veggies contain. But after all I'd feed anything the dogs like. If she gained a few pounds like now due to false pregnancy I reduce meat and add lung to it, so she won't feel hungry but gets less.
The big one is a master of getting rid of veggies. A mystery to me how he can sort them out without hands. With him I noticed he needs carbs and I found whole rice flakes with veggies, which he loves. Also he is as all men, he can eat and eat and not put on weight, which at the moment he should having been ill.
You should feed about 2-2,5% of bodyweight to maintain the weight.
I never know about substitutes, as I think wolves survived without them... Also I consider overdoses of vitamines and minerals as not too healthy. But that is up to you...

I can say everybody is surprised to see their clean white teeth and that htey don't have bad breath, also their body odour is minimal

Return to “Health Issues”